square cut gears | FerrariChat

square cut gears

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Classiche, Oct 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Classiche

Classiche Rookie

May 11, 2013
    Does anyone run square cut gears in their Ferrari? I think the sound will complement the impressive sound of a Ferrari. I am thinking of doing this to a Ferrari 308 along with custom exhaust. Thank you very much for your time.

2. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    I think you mean straight cut gears. The noise will drive you nuts.

3. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    I dont know if there is something available for the ferrari gearboxes. But if you should search for sequential shiftet or dog type gearboxes. Because those gears are used in these gearboxes. Hewland f.e. builds custom gearboxes and you can get a gearbox done by them.

But inside the car you will most likely only hear that high pitch noise it will overvolume any other sound when speed raises. You dont hear the engine you dont hear the exhaust you dont hear the radio you dont hear outside anything just those high pitch noise. Testdrive a car with such a gearbox befor you consider building a straight cut gearbox into your car.
    When customer have such gearboxes and i need to map or testdrive them i use earprotections with communication system to speak with the driver during mapping. I dont think that would be "fun" in a street car. But tastes are different but i would test it to see if it is ok. There are also semi straight gear sets these are a bit less noisy.

4. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Good luck with it. Let us know how you make out with your custom designed and built gearbox. Sounds like a cheap and easy project.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    All that will do is make you explain that there is nothing wrong with your car everytime you pull up somewhere in front of people

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    "What's that noise? I paid extra to make it sound like that"

7. lonestarrpm

lonestarrpm Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Lone Star RPM. LLC
    I have it in my Porsche 911 race car -- sounds awesome -- but then again its a race car.

It's loud and will drown out just about all other noises.

Mike

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interesting user name and first post...

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    <Ducati dry clutch>

10. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Collotti makes a full mkit for everything from a 375 or a 290MM to an F430....
    GTO, LM, 512S,,,you name it, they built them...

11. Classiche

Classiche Rookie

May 11, 2013
    Thank you for all of your replies. Yes, I meant straight cut gears. Long story short, I like the noise the gears make. Is it possible to have a hybrid set of gears? Straight cut gears in the low gears and traditional gears in the high gears. That way it sounds normal at highway speeds.

12. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    Modena Engineering in Melbourne also do straight cut gear sets for Ferraris.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    P 4/5 C has straight cut gears. Sequential Hewland. When I drive it I always use hearing protection. If you don't you will damage your hearing. We're going to use the same gearbox in our next road and race car but in our next road car we're making helicoidal gears that will be quieter. As an aside our gear box is a good 50K euros. With custom gears/spares and tools more. Great gearbox for racing as it's very strong but straight cut gears aren't needed on a road car. My 60ies Le Mans cars have straight cut gears as well but we've taken the edge off of the gears a touch by hand honing/beveling which quiets them a bit and makes them tolerable on the road. It also makes them a lot easier to shift. The Hewland has a sensor that cuts ign and throttle for a millisecond when you shift so you don't need to use the clutch but on the road I use the clutch.

There are shops that can make any gear you want any way you want them to be. We can as well BUT the cost is mega.

14. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Wouldn't it be easier to fit a set of aggressive mud tires and put some playing cards so that they flap in the wheel spokes? I loved that noise when I was a kid riding my bicycle.

15. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #15 myronx19, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unless you're in a race car... I doubt you'll like it.. And first gear would most likely be as low as a regular 2nd gear ratio, which is kinda tough to use on the street. If you're not convinced, listen to when the gears get loaded in this video.. make it a sequential while you're at it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ-HzNWJGM]SCary BMW E36 race car.O my god! damn fast - YouTube[/ame]

and I'll leave these right here....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login