250 Cabriolet 1697GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 Cabriolet 1697GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bobj, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1297 GT is a 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina. Not a Cabriolet.

Marcel Massini

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    1537GT was the first of three pre-production cars followed by 1559GT and 1561GT.

There are some rumors of 1561GT still being in storage, but it could very well have been scrapped after salvaging some parts. By July 1965 it was a badly damaged old car.

It is also interesting that in the beginning Ferrari/Pf seems to have planned to build a spider variation of S.2 Cabriolet. This would likely have ment the elimination of vent window, but the plan never materialized. I think the reason was problems getting the full size window to fit inside door fully cranked down. 1695GT was supposed to become the first "spider" but it was completed as a standard cabriolet shown in many promotional factory photos.

1297GT is a PF Coupe destined to von Neumann in USA.

3. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #28 Bobj, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. cooperati

cooperati Rookie

Feb 23, 2007
    what a lovely set of colours to have. is the verde on the yellow side in natural light or blue?

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    The paint colour?, - It's more of a silver grey I would say, with a hint of green

7. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #32 Bobj, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    That's really interesting. I don't suppose anyone has any copies of these photos? I'd be interested to see the "sister" car in period promotional photos

I don't suppose there is any link between the PF SII spyder and the comments on barchetta relating to 1297GT being a spyder?

How did the windows "crank down" in the SI cabriolet? From pics it looks like it would have the same problem, no?

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AGAIN: 1297 GT is a 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina, originally destined for Ferrari Representatives in Hollywood, CA (John von Neumann).

Marcel Massini

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The door is very different and looking at a side view there shouldn't be a problem. It may also be that Ferrari/PF had much higher requirements for quality/comfort when building a series production car, so a fixed guide in form of the vent window frame to support the glass was preferred to eliminate vibration.

10. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Sorry Marcel, I meant to type 1697GT (which is my car, you'd think I'd get my own chassis number right...) having erroneous comments relating to it being a spyder on barchetta, i.e. I don't suppose they were thinking to build 1695 and 1697 as spyders and changed their minds?

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Check out 1007GT in the same colors as your car, except the white leather. Do you know what color carpet came in 1297GT?

1958 Ferrari 250 GT Pininfarina Coupe

john

12. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, I really like that colour combo and the blue interior. That has to be the front runner at the moment (I.e. Without the white).

No, I don't know the carpet colour but I think the blue looks good. Marcel / Kare, I don't suppose you would know?

13. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #38 Bobj, Oct 14, 2013
    A few more pre-restoration photos, courtesy of Cremonini.

I guess that the Ferrari shield on the side and the repositioning of the fog lights outside the front grill are non-original? I haven't seen any other series 2 cars with fog lights here? Assuming they are fog lights?

Also guess that the red carpets are non-original and these were probably blue to match the interior.

Good news is that: "the car is very original in many details. Never tampered with technically or damaged (chassis damage). The car also bears the very early and original chassis plate which he commented was very rare"

They are suggesting replacing the glass and the front grill when the work is done. I assume that when the car is immaculate these items will let the car down and they are not easily restored (certainly the glass). I don't know if anyone has experience of this?

Thanks, any advice / similar experiences appreciated
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It's a tricky one re the glass. Can they get new glass made by the original manufactures with the correct period stamps? Yours may not be original anyway, well the windscreen may have been changed at some point if it was damaged, best to get them to check the windscreen has the same makers stamps as the side windows.

With new glass cleaning products, a professional windscreen restorer, can get most scratches out if they are not too deep, if there are cracks or large chips, it would be new glass.

It looks like its going to be a great thread Bob so please keep the photos coming. I would also go with the original colour for the interior, the white shown is not a bright white, and with such a rare car, it would be nice to see it put back to how it was.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  16. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
  17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bobj,

Very nice car.

I think the original exterior color will suit it well. As it already has a nice black interior, may I suggest leaving it for a season to see how you like a silver with black car. It is the least expensive solution and will allow you to live with the exterior color a while and then decide what to do with the interior. However, if you go with blue, I would suggest going all the way and do the white inserts.

Also, I'm quite certain that the foglights should be Marchals and they should be located behind the grill.

Regards,

Art S.

18. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, I'm pretty committed to getting it all done in one go, your idea is a good one but with all the seats and dash and everything out I'd just like to get it done rather than give up the car again later also I think I'd prefer to get it done in Italy where the car is at the moment, the place I'm looking at has a lot of experience with original ferrari leather. I'm erring towards the original blue interior but without the white panels.

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    It might also be possible to have them make a second set of skins in the original blue/white color scheme in case you decide to make the change later. Or, if cost is a concern, to have them make the white panels.

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bobj,

It's an old Italian car, there will be future down time :D ;)

Regards,

Art S.

21. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    No, it's going to be like new :D

22. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #47 Bobj, Nov 7, 2013
  23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Please feel free to bore us with all the pictures. :)

Regards,

Art S.

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes please "bore" us.