Light weight flywheel & clutch assembly for 355 | FerrariChat

Light weight flywheel & clutch assembly for 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I know there were older discussions regarding a project Exedy was working on a few years back to introduce a 3 disc clutch + light weight flywheel assembly that fell through. I am not sure if Triton makes one either.

I am more interested in a lighter flywheel and I am ok with a 2 disc clutch. Anyone have any experience with this company?

formula GT - TUNINGTEILE

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Exedy lightweight flywheel & clutch assembly project.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZUxiLykyAM]Ferrari F355challenge LIGHT WEIGHT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL TEST - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPUGZx-59Y]CORSA Ferrari F355challenge LIGHT WEIGHT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL - YouTube[/ame]

3. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have the Formula GT flywheel. I recommend you don't use it. It has several problems. The first is it will snap your driveshaft. After you upgrade your driveshaft also sold by Formula GT, the heat generated by the clutch will melt the grease in the flywheel. Even Formula GT has problems with it. Watch the video. Do you hear the "SNAP" at the end. That's called a driveshaft gone bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er_5VLSShZM]Sachsenring Formula GT Ferrari F 355 Divinol Cup - YouTube[/ame]

4. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #5 bcwawright, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    NICE FIND!!

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Hey Greg. I noticed the video was posted up in 2009. I am not sure when you purchased your setup, but do you think they've made improvements?

Ken

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How light is the flywheel? 2 disc or 3 disc clutch? How's everything holding up?

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #9 ernie, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    Is the clutch slipping to cause all the heat? What other problems is it causing?

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How light are these FW's and are they also smaller diameter or lighten full sized or cutout fullsized for the ring gear?

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Balance or vibration caused that? How about more clues?

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The input/output driveshaft as most know is hollow, shock will break it. a lighter flywheel and higher coefficient of friction will impart more torque on the shaft and also transmit more shock loads.

getting a properly designed clutch and flywheel is surprisingly a real PITA, took me yrs and half a dozen clutch Co's before finding one willing to work with me and develop a clutch that works as close to stock but has higher tq ratings. Haven't done the 348/355 one though.

12. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    I wrote it some years ago already but i would also not recomman a lighter or even solid flywheel as the input shaft will snap early. I discovered it very early because my 4 cylinder make more stress on the input shaft then a 8 cyl. I first thought it would be some balancing problem of my 184mm 3 disc clutch or flywheel i balanced it again. Then the second input shaft snap. Then i talked to other people racing 348, 355 and discovered they all experianced the same problems. They solved it either with a complete new gearbox (hewland) with clutch on the engine like on normal cars. Or they use the 2 mass flywheel with a two stage 200mm clutch like early 348. Or they use a new input shaft like formula K offers. Me myself got back to the original 348 flywheel with a helix sinter clutchdisc and stronger cover. But think about using the 355 flywheel and clutch plus the 355 input shaft as this seem to be a bit lighter and more durable.

@Gatorgreg, did it damaged the input shaft bearings or even the gearbox case when the input shaft snaps on full throttle ? I had luck that my input shafts always snapped at idle. But wonder if it could cause more damage on high rev because it sounds bad on your video.
    And another question did you also got the carbon hood and carbon dashboard from formula GT ? I wonder how good it fits and if it has a good shape and not bend or something often found on cfk gfk parts.

Regards Samy

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I guess I'm an outlier. I did a total ghetto stock 348 FW and not only eliminated the grease pack but make it solid and took out 8-13lbs. I forget how much. The thread is on Fchat somewhere. My ghetto mod was done in my garage with only a lathe and a welder. Then the unit was balanced by an outside vendor. I raced that home made fw/clutch pack and could never break it or my gerabox. I raced that car for many years like greater than 5 until it was totaled in a race. I do not think lightened FW's or multidisc clutches in these cars are such a big deal at all but I am only a hour from Tilton if I can't fabricate myself.

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #15 bcwawright, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Michelotto setup uses this enormously large clutch pack...lol.....

Kind of amazing that this clutch lasted 24hrs LeMans and didn't snap the propeller shaft...WHY?? Because there is a little secret mod that eliminates this problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #16 gatorgreg, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    I raced with the Formula GT clutch for a year with little success. Speedworks developed a removable driveshaft system which could be switched out quickly at the track. The heat generated from the clutch was too much. I reverted back to the standard clutch for reliability.
    The flywheel does not give you anymore horsepower. It allows you to downshift quicker by allowing the revs to raise faster. The upshifts are easier, but not any quicker. The engine sounds like a motorcycle engine.

Here is a video of Homestead just practicing with the clutch. My driveshaft did "snap" at the end of the video. I just did not show it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEUXh3QsiQ[/ame]

16. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    What secret trick mod is used to prevent the shaft damage? From what i know it shear of because of going into resonate frequency and shearing of at the weakest point. Wich could be avoided with the 2 mass flywheel. But how did they prevent this without it that would be very interessting.

How did they modify it to quickly change it during race? The shaft can only be pulled out to the engine side. Maybe they grind down the bearing area of the shaft where it is bigger in diameter then the rest. Then it would fit through the clutch bearing support pipe.

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Bruce,
    I see a lot of parts but no car. When are we going to see it all together and on the track? I want to drive it. Next week I am testing two challenge cars at Sebring. Bring it down.

The Michelotto parts are just out of this world.

18. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    I have the the parts of formula GT including the stronger driftshaft - no problem.

Greg, not to forget that Peters car produces 450HP rear wheel power on a dynojet !
    He has more bore (about 3850 ccm) and everything works. His car is a beast, I saw
    it at several trackdays ( 450 HP rwp, about 1200kgs with full tank).

And you can believe me that Peter is a real racer - no ***** !

19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Peter is a nice guy but his clutch system just did not work for our racing application.

20. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Hi Greg

A lot has happened since the last time we talked, think that was around the time you were doing the titanium valves.
    I was in a very very bad car crash a year ago that has left me permanently disabled...both arms are pretty much destroyed and I can't even turn a wrench. So all of my plans have gone concerning the car I was building.

I am now just selling off all the parts I collected to do the build project.

One day I hope to come down your way and meet up.

21. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Bruce, I don't know how I missed this life changing accident you had, I wish you all the best.
    /Carm

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks Carm......Dave and a few others knew but for the most part at that time I didn't want anyone to know.....I was not in any condition to respond.

23. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I understand, I would have done the same.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Darn Bruce. I did not know. So sorry to hear.