My God, how often does this happen? | FerrariChat

My God, how often does this happen?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Sep 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Helicopter pilot dies after walking into main rotor while giving rides at Pa. fair | Fox News

A helicopter pilot is dead after officials say he walked into the aircraft's spinning rotor while giving rides at Pennsylvania's largest fair.

Organizers say 69-year-old Carl Enlow died after being hit by the rotor Friday night at the Bloomsburg Fair.

The fair's superintendent of police and parking says the helicopter was refueling when Enlow went back to speak to the pilot who relieved him. Bill Barratt says Enlow's hat blew off his head and he was struck by the rotor when he reached for it.

Barratt says Enlow was an experience pilot had been flown helicopters in the military.

Montour County Coroner Scott Lynn tells the Bloomsburg Press-Enterprise the Birdsboro man's death is under investigation. He did not immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press.

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Several years ago, and executive from an insurance company was killed during the Indy 500 when he was struck by the main rotor of the company helicopter he had just arrived in.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Could this have been the tail rotor? I'm not a helicopter type but I suppose that it hinges on what type of chopper and how low the main rotor is when it is at idle. Bad incident.

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 zygomatic, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Sadly, they're not uncommon. I did a quick Google search and found two incidents in the past two months. Even slow-moving blades have enough momentum to kill.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I remember a story from maybe 10 years ago where a Latin American pop star got off a helicopter and was waving arms in the air at the fans who were gathered. Chop chop off go the hands.

In all seriousness watching prop/rotor arcs and intake danger areas is a HUGE thing in the military. Doesn't matter if the engines are off and the plane is in the hanger you build the habit pattern so it's absolutely locked into your brain.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I was scared **** when I had to de-bus from the two turning CH-46 Chinook. The helicopter CC did not have to repeat the method on how to walk away from the ramp.

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I read in the newspaper years ago, the California Highway Patrol helicopter spotted trouble down in a remote area on a highway. The pilot set the bird down to help. What he couldn't gauge was the rise of the shoulder up to the road. And if you can already guess what happened next, as he walked up, the main rotor blade took out a small section of the back of his head, died instantly.

It's difficult to believe as most main rotors are high, any of the turbine rotaries are past 6 feet high. As Mark said, it pays to be careful every single time.

VietNam - My dad was stationed at an Air Force Base and recalled witnessing a gruesome accident. The South Vietnamese Army were operating Chinook's in and out of the base. One day, a Chinook came in for landing and the rotor wash swept up a one of the SVA ground crew standing too close up into the main rotors. Sliced him in half.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Ok, this is really oh my god and I had no idea this was viewable. Waring: this actually shows Vic Morrow and the two children he was holding being struck by the Huey rotors as though it was planned. They could not have been in a worst place. I'n sorry, I know I should not even posts it.

Vic Morrow killed while filming while filming the Twilight Zone movie

Here's a post from the above site.

In the film, this scene was completely cut out, but the whole segment still remains in the film.

What was really the tragedy behind this scene was that it was so ****ing uneccessary and just this dumb, big budget bull****. They had already filmed plenty of footage for the Vic Morrow sequence, including a segment in Vietnam, but someone somewhere (Landis, maybe?) was like "CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING ON FILM TO DO WITH VIETNAM WITHOUT LOTS OF ****ING EXPLOSIONS AND HELICOPTERS" despite the fact this scene was totally out of character for the Twilight Zone story it was based on. So, even after the accident, they still had plenty of footage to make a good remake out of that original story, and you begin to understand how pointless this whole ****ing stunt was.

9. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Some years back I remember a helicopter incident where they had to make a forced landing, on of the passengers jumped out of the chopper after it had landed-he jumped up that was the end of him. Think it was in the Carmel Monterey area in CA, they we visiting a RE development site.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I didn't know the main blades were that low, I always thought people ducked their head for the air and noise.

11. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #11 Steve355F1, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    A few years ago I was driving along in the country and my passenger fired off a paralysing back-door blast with their trouser-trumpet, and to let the resultant odour out I opened my window while we were moving along at speed.
    Immediately my hat blew off and headed for the window. Instinctively my hand shot up to grab it, and whilst I was successful in saving the hat, I broke my finger by bashing it into the window frame. It bloody hurt!

The point is, sometimes the instinctive reaction can have your hands etc. shooting upwards before you've had time to think.
    If there happens to be a helicopter blade spinning above you at that time, it probably won't end well.

12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Happens often unfortunately, but usually to people unfamiliar with aircraft. I see owner/pilots giving rides and switching passengers without shutting down. Seems silly to walk into a prop, but if you don't know any better it can happen in an instant.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Holy cow...that looked surreal since it was a film set, but what a terrible way to go. After seeing that clip, I read more about the accident and apparently those two children that died as well were not legally allowed to be on set (children can't be working on film sets at night per law back then and they were paid under the table).

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    This is exactly what happened to Al Holbert of IMSA driver/ team owner fame... In his plane, door pops open during ascent, instinctively reaches to close and wind blows his arm into the prop. Died of blood loss while trying to land. Just terrible.

I spoke with Kevin Doran about the incident years ago, in hindsight they wished he had a door net like racecars have....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    First a chinook is a ch-47, phrogs ch-46's aft rotor is 16 feet at the tip cap it can not drop enough while turning to hit you but the front rotor can. Wind can cause this but usually it's on shut down that The danger is there, fwd rotor is at 11 feet but it can droop lower. Especially if the droop stops fail.

16. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Depends what kind of chopper/where you are in relation to the helicopter. I have plenty of room when I go underneath the rotor disc, but I always duck. You never know if a part may fail, the pilot may knock the cyclic, or a freak gust of wind may whip up. When we do safety briefings, we make sure to let people know that walking in the 3-9 o'clock area of the aircraft is strictly prohibited and that hands must remain no higher than their head. We make sure that they take the hats off, as well.

This death is sad, but the pilot broke a golden rule that any veteran pilot should have stamped into his memory. RIP.

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #17 teak360, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    You might reach the prop with your hand if you stretch. Even though you talked to Kevin I think it was determined his injuries happened during the crash. There wasn't enough time to die from blood loss in the air either. But, you can fly the plane with the door open, that in itself doesn't cause a loss of control in the Aerostar.

18. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    we had a 'near-miss' on a crew a-star working in northern Canada, the bird was shut down, and rotor was slowed right down, but still turning, crew man thought was safer being engine off, and rotor 'appeared' slowly turning, but didn't realize that the rotors droop, and do so at the slower rotation speed, the blade tips were lower as a result, he was wearing hardhat still (which usually must be removed and carried on/off board), blade tip hit his hard hat, and gave him the warning needed to immediately back off his approach - could have been a more serious incident!

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bloody things try to kill you while you are flying and even when they are shut off. Hats off to rotary pilots.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was a new member of a flight line crew I made the mistake of saluting a lieutenant and got a royal chewing out. " You DO NOT salute anybody on the flight line when there are engines running and rotating props!"
    One of the kids lost part of his left ear pulling the chocks one day. He yanked on it, fell backwards and somehow only lost some cartilage instead of his shoulder. That was a hard one to figure out.