1968 GT2+2 at Barrettjackson- Stance quesiton | FerrariChat

1968 GT2+2 at Barrettjackson- Stance quesiton

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by mibi, Sep 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 mibi, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    see attached pics. I have been looking for nice 365GT2+2, and this interesting color combo, but limited pics show what looks to be a real problem in Front and rear heights. can anyone provide any insight, history on this car, and problem ares to look more closely at?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    no VIN listed but to be sold this weekend in vegas
    Lot Number: 734
    Auction: LAS VEGAS 2013
    Sale Type: RESERVE
    Price:
    Year: 1968
    Make: FERRARI
    Model: 365 GT 2+2
    Style: 2 DOOR COUPE
    VIN:
    Exterior Color: SILVER
    Interior Color: BLUE
    Cylinders:
    Engine Size:
    Transmission:

Description
    A matching numbers example produced in 1968 in Silver (Argento) with blue interior and blue carpet. Equipped with air conditioning and power steering. Winner of the Preservation Cup at Cavallino in 1992. Highly preserved with only 39,000 original miles and comes with original books and tools. This car is an absolute pleasure to drive and the level of preservation makes it very unique.

3. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I agree.

The rear looks fine but the front is low for sure.

I would suspect that the front springs are fatigued and need to be replaced. The ones in our car where replaced before we bought it. Preservation class is great but you can't ignore safety over preservation.

As a tech I look at all suspension components as wearing items much like brake pads and tires.

Good luck if you are bidding, the QM is a great car and a nice drive

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    You also see it on GTCs with a similar suspension setup - sometimes it happens when a restorer accidentally swaps the front and rear springs on the shocks.

5. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Isn't the auction next weekend??

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    These cars came with air suspension that often fails. Many had the air suspension swapped out for a regular type...

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Not quite. They have Koni hydraulic self leveling struts on the rear, combined with a coil-over shock absorber. The self levelers are often replaced by a second coil-over. I don't know why - they are entirely rebuildable.

The car posted here has sagged front springs, not difficult to fix.

8. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    yes auction is next week. appreciate everyones help. my 456 had those complicated leaky shocks, actuators, nitrogen bombs, etc, and to be honest, I never felt it was that much better than a simple good shock and coil. sounds like if thats all thats wrong, no big deal. i just didnt know if there was some other problem like a suspension mounting rust issue that was common to these cars. this is the worst one I have every seen.

9. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    I have no idea if its right or wrong, but when i first saw the pic the firs thing that came to mind was it looked off, but again, not sure how its supposed to look.

10. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Same amount of space between the top of the tire and wheel well front and back

11. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The car looks high in the rear, the space between the fender and tire front and back is equal on my car. I suspect the rear suspension has been changed in some way.

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Low front, high rear

13. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    sold for over 170K. anyone on the board see the car in person?. Some of the other auction houses are better at giving information over the phone about a car, even including a person to go over the car and discuss over the phone for free. Unfortunately, Barrett Jackson not, so I didnt bid. prices are strong.