Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    thank you!

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The GTE is a wonderful car in its own right. I spent many hours in mine on both race tracks and curving roads. While certainly no GTO(what is?) it was a delight to drive with nice build quality and unbeatable sounds. One of the main reason that GTE's are valued less than other vintage Ferrari's is that there were many more of them produced. A sales success hardly equates to "a pig". F40 values have also suffered as a result of production numbers-doesn't mean they should be chopped up and made into something else, does it?

3. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    And I don't know if I'd call a '55,'56 & '57 T-Bird a "Sports car". No road racing success at all.
    Looks like a Ford, handles like a Chris-Craft.

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I said the GTE is a nice car, it's just not a sports car, and one shouldn't try to compare it with with a serious sports car. My point is that it's way to heavy to compete with a GTO replica that weighs 700 pounds less, and it wasn't rare enough and doesn't have that extra performance (because it's heavy) to be really valuable. I'm sure you can enjoy the car, but sorry, it's just not a really sporting car.

You are missing the point. The point is that there is a much larger market for 2+2's than there is for 2 seaters. The T'bird, in both incarnations wasn't much of a sports car. The fact remains that a 2 place car appeals to a very limited market. Once the T'bird went from a 2 place to 2+2 that showed the way to increased sales and that's want Enzo needed in the early 60's. He recognized that he needed something that would sell in larger numbers. That would entail a large investment in tooling and they knew if it didn't sell it could sink the company. A 2+2 was the obvious product.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    What's the point of having this separate section for these if all we do is bashing and chasing them away?

Best,

Jack.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Hardly any of the fakes I know can be described as a "serious sports car" either.

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I would respectfully disagree. The car that is the subject of this thread is a very serious sports car. It's a very faithful replica of a GTO, and most likely would be difficult to tell the difference when driving it from the real thing. If that's not a serious sports car I don't know what is.

I'm not talking about 240Z's that have plastic GTO bodies, I'm talking about a replica built from Ferrari parts with an aluminum body that has most if not all the attributes of a real GTO. While you may not like it, that's a serious sports car by any measure of the term.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #58 kare, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    Most GTO fakes have just been reclothed after butt welding the separated frame sections back together. Making a thing like that go fast would take massive sorting, and in most cases there is no need for such as the car is built primarily for posing. Very very few fakes would ever be able to turn out lap times anywhere near a real thing and most are very different from driver perspective if compared to a real thing simply because the driver seat is too far in front because the rear frame is totally wrong.

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Kare,

Have to agree with you there.

Not saying anything about slaughtering a GTE to do this, but it is a pile of hard work to try and re-create something like a GTO. You really have to start from the chassis up, and if you cut & paste a GTE chassis you end up with something nowhere near to what you are trying to copy.

To be successful you'd have to have a new chassis built. Certainly not impossible, might be a little costly though, and one less (important) component of the donor-car that can be used.

The number of components in a GTE that can be used to accurately replicate a GTO is very, very limited.

Best,

Jack.

10. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    Here is the video of this recreation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTatIQP_sY]Ferrari 250 GTE/GTO: incontro con un esemplare unico - YouTube[/ame]

11. vintageferrari330

Jul 11, 2012
    After this thread, I'm buying a Lusso and recreating it into a 250 SWB or Cal Spyder. Just haven't decided yet. ;)

12. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    Re : Video

Why do people who make these videos think we'd rather listen to some generic techno junk music than the sound of the car? Bizarre.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Because it is only the 16-year old nephew who can handle the camera & computer - and 16-year-old kids always think that the peoples of the world all just wait to discover their fantastic taste in music.

14. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    Good point.

Cheers

15. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    Don't worry, the onboard video will be online this weekend.

16. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Nice work but as a GTE owner it annoys me greatly to see these created.

Just out of interest how did Mr Scaglietti sign the car in the spot??

17. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    Here it is: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4GSyvDK4U]Onboard esclusivo su Ferrari 250 GTE GTO - YouTube[/ame]

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    So, this GTE has a "history" now. Bravissimo!!! So, why not convert also the few remaining GTEs?

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Another idea is to buy such a crap car and convert it again into a real Ferrari.

20. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    If you want to, why not. The owner did it because he already owns an original GTE and wanted to realize his own project. I really don't understand what's the matter in this.

21. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    #71 ferrarithijs, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why... Why!! Cruel, cruel world!

Why not MAKE a framework like this? I don't think it is more expensive than destroy a REAL GTE! The thought of it just makes me more and more angry.

Thijs
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It depends on whether you see yourself as an owner or as a temporary custodian.

23. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    You don't understand the matter? Well, almost everyone has said it already in this thread: A REAL GTE HAS BEEN DESTROYED TO MAKE THIS FAKE GTO. As simple as that.

Thijs

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    exactly; just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

the only reason that f-chat even entertains these cars is to note which cars have been destroyed to make a fake; Tom Wilson, the keeper of the GTE Registry, will make a note and close the chapter on this poor beast; do we all agree that this was 3753?

25. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    The owner didn't destroy anything. He just wanted to project his own GTO (I repeat: actually his example is not listed as one of the 36 real GTOs but it is a "Ferrari 250 GTE Mod.") according his experience and know-how on a real Ferrari platform.

Now he has in his garage a unique Ferrari he can be proud of it because he realized what he has always wanted. Is that a crime doing what you've always dreamt of? I'm aware Ferrarichat is a place for purists (I'm one of them), but after seeing that masterpiece with my own eyes I just can say the the work done on it is just incredible.

Now the fact that a Ferrari 250 GTE has been used as a basis for an other project is a thing that you can approve or not. To each their own.