Is it just me or have cars recently become better looking? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is it just me or have cars recently become better looking?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Sep 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #26 wingfeather, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    I wouldn't say those decades were complete droughts. Supra, 300ZX, RX7, McLaren F1, WRX STi, G35 coupe, Mini Cooper - I like all of these :)

To an import lover like me, American styling has never really caught my eye. To me, these are more about reliability, value and ease of repair. Although the Viper, Impalla SS and Hummer H1 would contrast that statement.

For me, car style in general began to regress about 2006. The Japanese stuff became more sea-creature (current Leaf & Accord, anyone?), the American an insult to retro (Mustangs designed out of play-doh?), and Euro gained too many "lines for the sake of lines" (Mercedes with four fog lights?).

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The reference to the Nurburgring run was in response to the "overhyped" label. Given the actual numbers, the 918 is a pretty astonishing machine.

In terms of the best GT cars of the 1980s, the 928 GTS was a contender, no doubt. 0-60 in ~6 seconds wasn't far off the pace of the Ferrari 348.

And yes, I know, motorcycles are faster than cars. But speed can be fun in cars, thus Ferraris, racing, etc. :confused:

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The new Mazda 6 is fantastic!

While I think a lot of newer cars have gotten a lot better looking, I have found it increasingly difficult to tell them apart. Benz and Audi looks too much like Infinity and Lexus which look too much like Hyundai and Kia. It just seems to me like a lot of cars have lost the personality that they once had.

On the other hand, I love the new Jag F Type. I think that is one of the best looking cars for sale today.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    My comments on the 918 were all based on looks, it's not very good looking and is very small. I don't want to dwell on my car, but it was not an SL type design and the faster 928's are in the 5.3 category (factory numbers) and you need a 355 to best mine. BTW the GTS debuted in 92.

couple of great video's that cover a lot of this subject, great classic looking cars

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72EGVQgAMC4]Petersen Automotive Museum Vault (Part 2) - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXuX3Pzh-mk]Vintage Corvettes - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

5. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I find it funny how manufactures get on a roll and then lose focus and change for the sake of change rather than come up with great designs. Here's some of my take.

Found their mojo:
    Audi
    Ford
    GM
    Jag
    Lamborghini
    Range Rover
    Aston
    Kia
    VW
    Subaru

Lost their mojo:
    Mercedes
    Porsche-Too hit and miss
    Dodge
    Ferrari-There are signs of life as of late
    Jeep-Too many dogs in the line

WTF is going on?:
    BMW
    Lotus
    Lexus
    Toyota
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Mitsubishi
    And a whole bunch more I don't even care to mention

6. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California

IMO they didnt "find" their mojo. They stole it.

Audi- incorporated better styling and interior quality from Lamborghini acquisition
    Ford- stole Aston looks using bailout $
    Lamborghini- i dont think they ever lost it?
    Range Rover-i dont think they ever lost it?
    Aston- never been a fan and the one-77 or something was not appeaing either
    Kia- no comment
    VW- i dont think they ever lost it?
    Subaru- i dont think they ever lost it?

And seriously WTF is going on with Lexus and BMW?
    I agree, especially after seeing the latest S class, that Mercedes is really loosing it.
    What signs of life do you see from Ferrari, I think they totally lost it.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    can you refresh my memory as to bailout $$ for Ford?

8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Has anyone seen the commercial for the new Corrola? Looks like a Hyundai. The new 4runner is bad too.
    As for Ferrari, I always liked the vents and openings on the mid engine cars. The 458 is nice, but it is a little too smooth. The Dino, Boxer, 328 and on all have the scoops and ducts. The front engine cars were always clean and sexy. Seems the roles are reversed now.

9. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    sure thing, "Ford Motor owes the government $5.9 billion it borrowed in June 2009, the same month GM filed for bankruptcy. By Sept. 15, Ford needs to start paying that money back. In a government filing, the carmaker said $577 million is due within the next year, and the full amount must be paid off by June 15, 2022."

source: Automakers' Report Card: Who Still Owes Taxpayers Money? The Answer Might Surprise You - Forbes

10. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    I completely agree and never understood why Ferrari did this. It makes the 430 and 360 so much more appealing. They made the 458 waaay to plain looking and no engine window is a real bummer.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I guess it's a case of semantics.
    A bailout and a loan are two different things in my lexicon.
    My bank didn't give me a bailout when I bought my house,but they did indeed loan me the money. Which like Ford I'll have to pay back.😀

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

true, and bailout is for emergency - so called - situations, like GM's then, otherwise it is commonplace that large companies are involved with government loans of one sort or another, some are grants even, all part of the big business process, and in the case of big businesses like GM and Ford, the potential employment - or un-employment - potential affects literally hundreds of thousand of people, millions worldwide = "to big to fail"

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Very few new cars excite me these days and no real manuals is the primary reason.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Audi acquired better quality from Lamborghini?

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    have to admit............that did make me laugh :D

16. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I'm loving some of the new designs for 'regular cars'

I just bought a '13 WRX, and saw an XV on the floor for the first time. That is a GREAT looking car IMO.

My GF just bought a Kia sportagelast year. Another great looking design I think. The optima snaps my neck everytime I see one drive by.