What was I thinking??? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

What was I thinking???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Linas, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    Linas, that's great that everything turned out this way. You are the man! Cheers.

2. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    So in case some of you still remember my project, here's a quick update :)

The good news - my car will be road legal next week!! I acquired all the needed paperwork, got EU compliance certificate, and I will register it next Tuesday. Wohoo, that's a major milestone!

Now the bad news - even after replacing relays with new ones, electric gremlins were appearing time to time and the idle was a bit rough. Therefore I decided to address this properly. So I removed my fuse box and sent it off to Dave Helms. Just got an email from him, telling that the inside layers of the fuse box are in a very bad shape, showing traces of amateur repairs, missing some components, corroding, etc. So the rebuild should cost more that I have thought. Anyhow, maybe those are the good news afterall - at the end I will have a properly functioning fuse box and maybe avoid having a front end fire someday :)

3. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    You are in excellent hands with Mr. Helms. He will take good care of you and your panel. Hopefully this is the source of all your gremlins and you will enjoy the miles to come.

CC

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    After a flood maybe you should also consider his Gold connector kit. You'll save on shipping ;-)

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If only we could import a flooded car in Canada I wouldn't mind one at low price like you did.

6. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    I have got a full wiring harness in good shape from another TR, so lot's of good connectors to take from there in case I need some. Anyhow, let's hope, the box rebuild will address all the issues :)

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would clean the car thoroughly, inside and out. Spray WD-40 in every crease and cranny I could find on and in the car. Clean and dry lube all fuseboxes, gauges and electrical connections you can get to. Place the car in a climate controlled garage with a dehumidifier for a week or more while you, flush and change ALL fluids, engine oil, tranny oil, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, everything. Change the cam belts and then drive it and fix any electrical issues if and as they fail.

8. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    All done :) See my earlier posts in this thread. However, thanks anyway for all the tips!

9. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Hi Linas,

great story.

Do you still need somebody for a cambelt engine out service?

I know a Ferrari workshop in my hometown (Hamburg, Germany) which is especially for vintage models.
    Owner has a 328GTS and much experience in working on F-cars.

If you need the contact, just send me a PM.

Cheers
    Bjoern

10. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Bjoern, thanks for letting me know! I will keep this in mind.

11. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Hi Linas.
    There is place in Tallinn that service's Lamborghini and Lotus. They might service Ferrari aswel.

12. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Thanks for info! Could you write their details in PM?

13. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Hi Linas .. Can you take some new photos of your car for us once your fuse box is done .. Intrigued to see interior shots.. Think this fuse box repair will solve a lot of your issues ..

14. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Sure, I will :) Now waiting for my rebuilt fusebox to arrive from Dave Helms. Managed to register my TR this week & got the license plates, so now it is 100% road legal and ready to rumble!!!

15. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Good news .. Now you can get some heat into it and really give it a run... Look forward to the report ...

16. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #166 Linas, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The rebuilt fuse box from Dave Helms just arrived this evening!!! I had to leave for the weekend, so will install the box early next week. Can't wait!!! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #167 Linas, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So a quick update :) Dave Helms fuse box is in and remaining issues (O2 sensors, engine temperature sensor, ECUs, tachometric relay, few remaining interior electric gremlins,etc) fixed! Now it is time to enjoy the car. Over last week, I drove about 100 miles and did not spot any issues so far. Great to compare the beginning of this thread and the final outcome. Here's one photo from yesterday, after a nice drive :)

PS. Quick question. Looks like previous owner installed some kind of sheet metal cover under the engine, so that the engine compartment underside is flat & covered, as the rest of the car. I assume, this was never done by the factory. Could it cause any cooling issues?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I would think the cats will get hotter as there is not as much air flow around them. I think if it would have been better with them Ferrari would have done it.

19. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Ok, thanks, makes sense.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would remove the cats
    or you must have them in?

21. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    They are kind of necessary to pass the inspection. But you got me thinking now :)

22. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Linas,
    Nice to have a win hey! I bought my '88 TR off Ebay(US),I am in Australia and the car was in Canada. The ultimate Fcar for me has always been a Testa, but my budget was around the Mondial level. Most would view buying a Ferrari this way as akin to loading one chamber and pulling the trigger. It could have been that way, or gone that way at any point in the process...but it didn't. To achieve some of the things that most folks only dream of achieving/owning requires taking a risk and ones' background and experience can be counted on more reliably than the well intended(mostly) input of strangers.
    I had to wait 3 mths until the car arrived so I could confirm whether the chamber had been in my favor or not!
    The car is immaculate, after my enquiries of its history; Continental Autosports in Ill, located the history folder which had been archived for some years and Fedex'd it to me, . The original owner touches base with me from time to time for updates on the cosmetic resto I am currently doing during the engine out major. I am in no hurry, in the 20yrs I waited, most of my cars happened to be black..#78712 is Nero/Tan.
    Sometimes in life, you can't wait for all the lights to be on green before you can proceed!

23. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Hi mate, wow, what a story! I am so happy about you!

PS. Today I went out for a drive with my wife on our TR and we had absolutely a great time. Looking back, I am so happy about taking that risk back in January this year!

24. DarkShines

DarkShines Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2014
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Lee James
    I applaud you for going to the trouble of fixing this car up. I've done a similar thing with my 550. What I think is totally disgusting though is that you fail to mention it's history on the eBay listing!! Even when I contacted you regarding the shipping & payment terms you fail to mention..... It's a good job that another member & friend has researched this thread for me.

Yes guys, he is selling it as a straight car!! No mention of any dodgy history!!! Nice!!!

I don't believe you've found all the issues yet, and that could potentially mean any future purchaser could have a lot of money to spend on it, which would of course be their responsibility if the facts were known on purchase! To not tell somebody is bang out of order!!!

I hope this car does not sell until the facts are clear, and if necessary this thread has been seen!!!!!

Good Luck Linus

For those of you that are interested in seeing the advert on eBay.co.uk the item number is here - 161301773839

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    At least this is correct :D "I'm not some kind of royal Nigerian family scammer, trying to rip you off!"

Do indeed mention that there is "a story" that they should be aware of ...

Should not make any difference to what you are offering but: be open and frank !