RM Auctions: Ferrari 275 GTB/C #09027 - Lord Laidlaw Collection. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

RM Auctions: Ferrari 275 GTB/C #09027 - Lord Laidlaw Collection.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by miurasv, Aug 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #76 johngtc, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Did the car manage to sell after the sale? Any news? The new owner should return the car to its original yellow colour...!

3. EdwardLovett

EdwardLovett Karting

Mar 22, 2013
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Edward Lovett
    The car sold yesterday for somewhere between £2.2m and £2.4m.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought by John Collins.

4. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Makes sense, he's got a 275 GTB Competizione Clienti for sale so he probably wants to keep prices up ;)

5. EdwardLovett

EdwardLovett Karting

Mar 22, 2013
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Edward Lovett
    He won't be selling it to one of the under bidders in the room as I don't believe there were any bidders!!

6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    I see he's also got the Miura SV from the Bonhams auction for sale. Strange to just buy a car at auction and stick it straight back up for sale.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Why is it strange? If the cars are already prepared for sale then the sooner they are advertised the better. It's being efficient. Did Talacrest actually buy 275 GTB/C 09027? I'd have thought it would have been placed on their web site for sale way before now if they had bought it. All the other cars they bought at auction recently went on immediately.

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Talacrest did NOT buy 09027.

Marcel Massini

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I thought not. Thank you, Marcel. Has it actually sold now?

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It has.

Marcel Massini

11. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought most buyers for this car would have known about it and been in a position to bid. The auction and car were pretty high profile. Also I would have though that the fact everyone knows what price was paid would limit the ability to turn a decent profit. But I would never accuse JC of not knowing what he's doing - hence my comments that it seems strange to me, I thought maybe there was more to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great car, the SV certainly has a huge following, including myself. I'm sure he will sell it, but, with many retail buyers attending the auctions, it strikes me as risky for a dealer to outbid the potential clientele

I generally assumed when dealers were bidding it was on behalf of a client, not to stick it up on their website the next day.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #87 miurasv, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    I understand the points you've raised, and they're all valid. Not all potential buyers of a car sold at auction would be at the auction, and many would not even know about it, even with it being as high profile as it was. Many retail customers do not have the experience or confidence to buy from an auction either. You really do have to know what you're doing and what you're buying as there is no come back as the cars are sold "as is." However, if there is a description of the car being auctioned, it must be accurate. Most retail customers would prefer buy from a knowledgeable and reputable dealer with the added security a retail purchase would bring. Plus there may be a part exchange and finance to arrange which can be done by the dealer. It's a different buying experience.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #88 miurasv, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    I wonder if it was RM Auctions that sold it, Lord Laidlaw himself or someone else acting for him? Having gone to great lengths and expense to market a car, would the auction house retain exclusive rights to sell a car for a certain time period after the no sale auction took place?

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Oftentimes that period is 30 days after the auction.

Marcel Massini

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you. Will RM now adjust their publicised figures? They haven't done so as yet on their web site for 09027. See here: 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Berlinetta Competizione by Scaglietti | London 2013 | RM AUCTIONS

It would be in RM's interest to publicise the fact that such a high profile car has actually been sold by them rather than leaving the general public thinking the car didn't sell.

They sold over 90% of the lots at the London auction. Has the D Type now sold too?

17. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Its interesting that the softening of the market has now ebbed to the top tier cars which are a tad less than A- to B+ grade cars....
    This WAS a concessionaire car with LeMANS HISTORY-10TH oa, 2nd GT good, bot NOT GREAT history...so we took a sniff...a hard sniff...

A good vehicle AT A PRICE-and it sold at pretty much exactly the range expected, all in, as Marcel has staed, at the time stated, to a well known American collector.

ITS a RACING car, it had some damage-its on its THIRD body-which as you all out there view as wrong, which means it needs to go to Italy to be done yet again...but aside from that, and for arguments sake-lets ASSUME its all there under the skin-including all of the LM scrutineering stamps-in time, this will prove to be well bought...IMO

But its still worthy to note that the "investor/speculator" money shied away, as "it" really doesn't understanmd what it is looking at-IMO

The top tier cars which this pool of money DOES "understand"(GTOs, Pontoon version customer TRs, SEFAC SWBs, Cal Spys-ALL), will continue to climb-unabated-and the other BIG Team cars(dry sump/IRS TRs, 4-cam "super" TRs, ALL P-cars) which are less understood by this marketer/money pool, will continue to be cautious, as the herd mentality which it parrots: pundit perfunctory prognostications, will march in lockstep unison, until such time that driveability concerns and useage issues-which have always been a key factor
    IMO: valuation disparity will fade to black as ALL of these top tier cars now are ONLY about the money.

Factors exerting pressure on value will clarify, but the old things which have caused heartburn in buying-crash boxes, Lamporedi, etc, will no longer matter as these cars will NOT be vintage raced anylonger due to values-for the majority of ownership interests...there is way too much money involved now...
    Tours with other owners will much more be the the norm, away from BOGUS GT350R Mustangs diving for the pole line at Laguna trying to beat the "hendgefund meathead" in the 30 million dollar Ferrari....

Who the hell needs THAT....
    Its quickly dawning on a new era kids...

18. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    +1, pity the millionaires playing with the billionaires, like taking a knife to a gunfight. When you are that rich, if you dont like the way the game is being played dont you just set up your own game ?

19. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    I don't know if Ferrari themselves gave it a complete rebody back in period, even if so would a 60's factory rebody discount the car? I have read the invoices from its repairs in UK after the hillclimb accident, and from description "sections" of body were replaced. Unfortunately no photos. No matter what, the buyer has got a great car for a good price and put a bit of a dent in future GTB/C expectations. I hope it goes back to EF yellow.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Did 09027 actually sell after the 2013 auction?