Dyson type fan for cars? | FerrariChat

Dyson type fan for cars?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by guygowrie, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #1 guygowrie, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Any reason why a dyson type fan wouldnt work for an automotive application? On the plus side you dont have the fan blades obstructing the natural airflow when the car is under way, so i assume the rad goes longer before the fans need to kick in.

Just a rambling idea and wondering anyone else else has thought about it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    And fcourse i am talking about fans for cooling radiators...

3. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Don't think it would produce enough airflow, and it would only be directed at part of the rad. I think you would still need a large fan somewhere to get the airflow, then direct it into the "ring". Would there be a large dead spot in the middle of the flow?

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The dyson fan uses the coanda effect. Useful for anti-stall wings on STOL aircraft, ground effect on race cars, and NOTAR helicopters, but not cooling a heat exchanger - sorry.

5. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    They can be made in different shapes and dyson sell a soft rectangle - our bladed fans are circles cooling squares, so dont directly cover the whole rad either. Ducting shrouds could work too as they do with bladed fans.

Obviously i dont understand why they wont work but if they cool a human better than a bladed fan, why not a radiator surface? Need to study this..

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Gimmicky, like all of Dyson's junk.

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    +++. And, of course, it simply does not move enough air.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I don't know the details of this product, but isn't there a conventional "fan" in the base of this thing???

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Yes, there's only magic in the marketing.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As a marketing guy, I'd like to say - that's what we do...magic! :D:D

Agree though, this is a marketing exercise...not sure if it was very successful either because as I recall this thing is crazy expensive compared to your garden variety, Wal Mart fan.

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    "Never confuse Marketing with Reality"

12. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Not sure the mainstream fan blades stop much air anyway while the car is in motion. If they did, the cooling fans would be running on the highway, when usually they only come on at a stop.

13. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The Dyson fan is not bladeless, the blades are in the body. The flow losses associated with blades are still there. The design just damps out the pulses from the blades with the single exit.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I saw one in operation for the first time last week. It was quiet, big, blade less in appearance and pushed about as much air as a mouse farting. Maybe he had it on low?

I bought one of these when we had that long heat wave and my AC was out for 5 days. It cost about $60 bucks and worked just great.

Hawaiian Breeze 16" 3-Speed Oscillating Stand Fan, White: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

Then there's this option ... :rolleyes:

Dyson AM03 Floor Fan DYS1939901: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I always thought the Dyson fans looked cool until I saw one in person. I saw a demonstration at Costco and the presenter said with enthusiasm "the fan is in the body!".

From a marketing standpoint, I can't think of anything would worse they could have said. People don't want to know the fan is in the body, they want to think it's some kind of a wiz-bang technology that they couldn't possibly comprehend even if they devoted a lifetime to studying it.

Of course, you would figure it out anyway, because the base is huge, but to me at least, their marketing approach worked against them. The fan put out an ok amount of air, but I think a conventional fan of the same size would put out considerably more air. I didn't find it quieter than a regular fan either.

17. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Sad but true. Even better would be an hour-long infomercial on how Dyson harness pure MAGIC to move the air... people are such suckers :(

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando