Digital Clock Replacement? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Digital Clock Replacement?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Burch1, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #26 PV Dirk, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now with the clock/odo unit in hand and separated from other gauges, not sure it was necessary to detach from other gauges in retrospect, I need to remove the clock. You'll see in this picture that the clock is on the bottom of the picture, it has two screws that secure the clock to two plastic support brackets, the two screws once removed allow the clock to slide out the front of the panel. Also of course the electrical connector needs to be removed. I had trouble here not wanting to hurt the circuit board that it was ultimately attached to. I ended up using a spring hook in the middle of the junction and pried the connector apart. After this was disconnected I slid it out the front of the face plate and it was ready to be shipped off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #27 PV Dirk, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    The whole purpose of this removal was to ship the unit across the country where a company that repairs these old digital components was willing to give repairing this a try. It is unknown if they will be able to repair it, but if they can fix this unit they will be able to fix the units on the t which is the same technology and of course this is the clock used on the Testarossa so hopefully this will give us an avenue if successful. The clock has been shipped by slow boat, the company will have it in hand within a week and they usually have a one week turn around. I plan to reassemble my dash so I can drive the car with only the small hole in the dash. Let me know if there are any questions or if I can take any better pictures while the dash is still apart. Some of the pictures were dark due to starting at 5am and having the top up on the car. After waiting for daylight and putting the top down there was much better light. :D

It is, by the way, very cool the construction method of the car behind the gauges. Fun cars we have.

And thanks to those that came before us on this project. I reviewed a few threads where people pulled their dashes apart for this purpose but I thought a few more details would be handy for those who might attempt this. I had no idea it would be this easy. That one connector did create a bit of anxiety though.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice PV, thanks for documenting the process with pics.
    Now I know how to remove should I need to get to mine but my gauges & clock have been solid, all are in working order.

Best

4. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #29 jgoodman, Aug 31, 2013
    Guys, I bought the clock that is in Mike's first picture off ebay. Does anyone have the wiring diaphragm? I assume the black and red are ground and positive, respectively. I'd like to test it before I tear apart my dash and put it in. My original one dropped one of the lines on one of the numbers. Thanks in advance.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I don't have the wiring off hand, but keep the old clock. If it's repairable it will likely be a cost effective repair. That is exactly the problem my clock had.

I received a notice from the clock repair person that he was notified my clock arrived. He will collect it on Tuesday and will attempt to pull it apart.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is reported that my clock has been repaired and now all numbers work completely in all positions. Is this of interest to anyone if it costs in the neighborhood of $40.00? :D

It will be shipped back to me in a few days and I'll report back once it is installed so I can report my findings. I still have to talk to the owner of the company to see if working on these old Ferrari clocks is something he can find valuable to his business.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    PV that is cool and cheap, you have to keep this guy in mind. My clock went out too last week. But on the same trip my dome lamp and lighter socket quit. I haven't check anything yet, are they wired all together?

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    This may be good news. From the owners manual, page 95 for me showing all fuses and relays.

4 - A15: Hazard - Courtesy lights - Current socket - Clock - Daylight flashing - Radio.

In the left box behind the left headlight (from cockpit) I'm guessing the 4th fuse in from the left. I'm thinking the A15 means 15 amp?

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #34 PV Dirk, Sep 22, 2013
    Returned from a business trip yesterday to this :D. Cost of repair was $36.95. I have friends arriving in town tonight for a few days so I won't have a chance to install right away, but as soon as it's in and I can verify that it is working correctly I will spread the word. I'm going to be happy when my dash is back together, right now it's just a little hole in there.

10. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Dirk, I feel for you!

You probably can't wait for your visitors to leave and get that clock plugged in so you can get that dash back together again!

Good luck and hope to hear good news:)

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great PV, I hope the result will be conclusive. Lets us know.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Correct :)

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hi Claude, did you get your problem fixed, was it the fuse?

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    PV I haven't look at it yet. I have no room in the garage and I'm too busy with all the outside work around the house before winter. We already have freezing nights. You guys down South don't know what it is to winterize the RV, boat, spa etc, etc ;-)
    But the last ride made me suspect a bad ground or bad connection at the fuse box, my clock would partly light some segment very dim and if I try the dome lamp the clock completely quit.

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Oh Claude I can totally relate, not as soon as September but definately having to make the rounds to each mechanical item and doing some kind of slumber party. I just sold off 3 toys because I simply can't nor want, to keep up. Boat - gone Motorcycle - gone Snowmobile gone

Even, briefly, thought about the Mondial... No way, she just too special to me.

I feel for you with those freezing nights though.

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Claude,
    We live in a moderately cold winter climate, but I still don't know what it's like to winterize. As a result I know all too well what it's like to clean the gunk out of clogged carbs. Solved part of the problem and, like Ted, got rid of the motorcycle.

Dave

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ok guys, I know I know I have too many toys. But I don't have motorcycles anymore. Still have two snowmobiles but will probably get rid of one of them. The boat is new for me so I'll wait some years before I decide what to do with it. The RV, well every time I sell them I buy another one. I like my own comfort. Cars! I'd like to keep them all.

This thread was about time, right! I need more time that is why we need a clock in the car. To know how much time left we have ;-)

PV is the clock back in place?

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The clock is not in place yet. My guests, very good friends, just left this morning and I'm getting caught up and need to put the top and doors back on the Jeep so my wife can use it, maybe tomorrow. I'm really excited to get it installed and see that it works.

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I plugged in the clock, dash still apart, all numbers work now and I believe the display is brighter than when I sent it in! :D

On the down side I may need someone to remind me what I did with the tiny screws that secure the clock in place :( The hunt starts.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    That is a great news. Keep the address and info in mind, no on paper. ;-)

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #46 PV Dirk, Sep 28, 2013
    OK, I don't know how long I should wait until I post success. My clock had bars that were dead on the display, a portion of a 2 would not light up. I have cycled through all the numbers and they are all present, clock is installed back in the dash. I paid to ship the clock out to the repair facility, he charged me $36.95 IIRC and I am a very happy camper. I had no idea I could get this done as cheap as I have. I had to remove and reinstall, maybe some that don't do this could get a local shop to do this portion, but this labor would be involved even if a new unit was purchased. I'm going to communicate with the repair facility to make sure he is interested in our older cars and I will provide his information as the rules here allow.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My apologies everyone for not being on the ball with this. I'm very happy with the result, check out the website and send him an email if you like. Steve was good to work with.

Again, under $40.00 to have my clock working like new

Auto Clock Repair - Home

[email protected]

I'll come in one of these days and be more thorough.

kartboy1234 likes this.
  23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    They updated their website with the Ferrari Mondial/Testarossa in their list of clock repair.

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hang tight everyone. I did have one bar not show when I took it for a long drive the other day. I'll get with Steve and see what he wants to do next.

25. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    So this is many years later, but how is your clock holding up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk