AC blower fan dying | FerrariChat

AC blower fan dying

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nielsk, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    I recently got my AC system working, installed a new dryer and low pressure switch (under $20 for both shipped from Eeuroparts (NAF), thank you!) and it was running wonderfully, for about a day. Then the blower fan started to die, making horrible sounds, stopping completely, and so on. Of course!
    So my question is, how does one get to this thing? My thread searches found some upgrades but no instruction on access / removal. I can't even see it, I have had the vents out and the air hose goes up into the no mans land of behind felt covered panels under the dash, and from above in the front "under hood" area, just the valve & hoses going into the evaporator unit covered in gunk.

2. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Remove fuse panel cover to have a little better access. I will have to check my photos... I can't remember if I had to pull the evaporator in order to unbolt the blower fan. Either way, you should be able to get a look at it. The evaporator is housed in a box that is just to the right of the vent plenum. The blower motor is attached to the right side of the evaporator box. (In the footwell). You can get a replacement motor that probably spins faster than the original and has more volumetric flow. (Which is good. These systems need all the help they can get).!

3. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    That will be great if you have any pictures. I had the entire glove-box out recently when re-covering it and installing modern fuse holders, so at least I know what's involved in removing it, but I don't recall seeing any screws attaching the panels covering the evaporator unit.

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    gt car parts had new ones tell them rob garven sent you they are mad at me for some reason ;-P

5. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Will have to wait till I get home Monday to review my old project pictures, but will post if/when I find them. IIRC there are 2-4 bolts that hold it in place that are installed vertically from underneath (evaporator box). Can't remember for sure on attached fan...

6. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    I figured out why it was difficult to understand, my system is nothing like what is in the parts book! It has a squirrel cage fan on top of the unit, tucked up under where the wipers are.
    Not difficult to separate as the top 1/2 is held on with clips, but it appears the brake master cylinder will have to come out for it to come out...

7. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Just realised you had a GT4.I'm pretty sure the evaporator box complete with fan comes out from inside the passenger foot well.From memory my Series 1 came out that way,but it was a RHD car so there was no master cylinder in the way.

8. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    #8 Nielsk, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the fan motor, anyone know the part # or a compatible unit? My 308 GT4 parts book is from '79, and my car is a '75, and completely different in this regard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    I went thru this, with the AC guru: Steve Carr.
    We could not find a suitable replacement for the motor.
    SPAL doesn't sell one.

I ended up buying a new blower.

Centrifugal Blower Detail | SPAL

10. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    Do you recall what blower you bought?
    The one on it is a SPAL, I take it this is original?

11. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    It's the one the link takes you to (SPAL PN# 001-A46-01D).
    I spent a lot of time, and energy, trying to source a similar blower from SPAL, and other sources, with higher capabilities but nothing fit in the space.

Even with an optimal running AC system, a major issue that is never addressed is the air volume being pushed into the car.

We are kinda stuck with this one blower.
    BUT--
    The new blower was significantly stronger than the original blower I pulled out of my car.

12. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    I took the motor apart, cleaned and lubed it and re-fished the brushes / commutator, viola! It is working great. Now to get the hose back on...

13. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    thats what I like to see- keeping the old parts going!