Digital Clock Replacement? | FerrariChat

Digital Clock Replacement?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Burch1, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 Burch1, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Interesting question. Mine has one bar that is flaky. I don't know if that old tech can be repaired or not. Maybe pulling it out there will be a part number on it that can be cross referenced to another car. I find it hard to believe Ferrari would have this made for the Mondial when there are so many other parts bin examples.

3. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Did you try FerrParts? I think they have a Mondial T for parts.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Can't help but notice that would be a perfect place to fit a remote Valentine concealed display head unit:

https://store.valentine1.com/store/closeup_20110.asp

Regards,
    Jerry

5. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    $399 USD, is that a joke? This is the one thing I hate that people try to rip us off for parts.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Peter,

There's nothing cheap about owning the world's most sought after and adored car brand: FERRARI ! We all know this and still pay up for the horsey! crazy right...
    I think in reality, its the rareness of these items in limited supply that keeps costs high if you can find them. Take for example the side pillar moldings =$1000 a pair, crazy for cheap rubber molds but you can't even buy them anymore.
    I've been looking for a (Mondial Tool Set) for my car but a set is around $600 super crazy so I go without for now!

paulchua likes this.
  7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I hear you Mike but people take advantage of the situation because it's a Ferrari. Thats a cheap digital clock worth just a few bucks. It looks the same as what I had in my Lancia Beta coupe also from the 80s. In fact I have just done a quick search and they also used veglia ones and here is one for $10. Although it's not the same as the Mondial but I'm sure we could find one if we knew the model reference number.

HPE/Coupe dash digital clock [UEL016] - £7.50 : Betaboyz Lancia Beta Parts Online Catalogue, Betaboyz Lancia Beta Parts Online Catalogue

T Rutlands have it advertised for $116 on their website. I don't understand why their eBay ad is $399?

Ferrari Parts : 136665 : 136665 CLOCK DIGITAL MONDIAL T - T. Rutlands

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    $125.30 on FerrParts for a new one....
    Thanks Jonathan.
    Greg

paulchua likes this.
  9. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's great, what an amazing difference when you shop around.
    Well done!

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Peter, I would guess that their eBay price is the "impulse price", as opposed to the "real" website price for the same damn item. Know what I mean?? :):)

Cheers, Hank

11. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I know what you mean Hank:)

When I see things like that it puts me off buying from these people. For a company to advertise the same one item for $125 and at $399 is unacceptable and would like to hear their response. It's a huge difference

Anyhow, who cares what time it is when you're having fun driving them:)

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I was hopeful that the clock for my 3.2 would be similarly priced but it was almost $500.00 about the going price. The 3.2 clock also goes in the TR. Also of no help. Hasn't been high on my to do list but not fun seeing something that isn't right every time I drive.

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    What about repair? Isn't there a California company that does repair on these things??

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I put in a message to a company that does repair to digital clocks. I'll update when I hear back and if they can do it, I'll send mine out and let y'all know. They mostly list the newer cars that they work on but say on their site that they are always up for new models.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I just received this response.

"Hi Dirk,

Sorry....nothing that exotic crosses our doorstep."

I responded further to see if he would reconsider or if he has some knowledge that we might utilize to fix them ourselves.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I received a further response that he is willing to take a look at it if I am willing to roll the dice so to speak, he cannot guarantee that he will be able to fix it but I am willing to take one for the team. I'll leave his business name out of it for the time being. Now to figure out how to remove the clock. :D

17. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Can't imagine its anything more than just an off the OEM shelf item for Ferrari.
    Please keep us posted Dirk.
    Cheers,
    Greg

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #20 PV Dirk, Aug 29, 2013
    I am one electrical connector away from getting my clock out. It appears to be a two part connector. A portion of it is soldered right to a board the other portion looks like it plugs into that. I don't want to muscle on it and break the solder connections to the board. I got a spring hook between the two and they separate a bit but then spring right back into place. Does anyone recognize this connector? Am I doing something wrong? I'm pointing to it with the screw driver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I was able to pull the part number off it. 24.3233.990. When I do a search on it I only come up with two Testarossa clocks for sale on ebay :( This is for an 87 3.2. I was hoping it would cross reference. Is anyone familiar with Fiat parts, are they similar with a slightly modified code? Any code breakers here :D

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #22 soucorp, Aug 29, 2013
    someone grab this one quick for a 3.2 Mondial:

Ferrari Testarossa Clock Veglia OEM | eBay

REFERENCES:

Testarossa 1987US/1990 nonUS Digital Clock. Part # 123646 Mondial 3.2 clock part# 24.3233.990.3

Mondial t clock part# 339900-01 136 665 0.9 / 175872 DIGITAL CLOCK Factory Original Part # 136665

I believe these are "Digital Veglia Flash Borletti Clocks" but can't find a good XREF to match other cars
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW: You can take the clock out this way....
    Originally Posted by theunissenguido

With a knife you pull out the black plastic ring in front of speedo- and tr-meter. Look at the picture where to put your knife, red flash (between the black ring and the meters glas). Those plastic rings are just clicked on.The purple crosses are the places of those clicking points. Be carefull when pulling the rings, just click them out of 1 point and go to the other point. They are fragil.
    Both meters have 4 little screws. Remove them so the meters can be pulled and let them hanging on there wires.
    The clock can now also pulled. It comes together with the 4 oil-, fuel and temp.meters. When you turn those all together, you will see that the clock can be separeted from the 4 meters by loosing 2 screws between them.
    My clock is working, so until now...I have no solution for your problem. Maybe just a bad contact in the back of that clock, or a bad contact to the chassis.

Guido

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The one in the first pic should have all the wires going into the connector, looks like someone yanked it out doing potential damage.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #24 PV Dirk, Aug 29, 2013
    OK, I've been nervous to pull my dash apart as many here are. Concerned about breaking something. In the end I think the clock removal is about a 30 minute process if one doesn't get hung up on the electrical connector of the clock like I did.
    First was to remove the trim on the speedo and tach. I felt around the inside edge where the gauge and trim meet with a fingernail. With just that one of the trim bits came loose and I was able to remove it. The other was a bit more stubborn so I used a plastic spatula. On the trim piece you can see the plastic studs that stick into the gauge.

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #25 PV Dirk, Aug 29, 2013
    In the picture above you can see the four screws that hold the gauge in place. I removed all four in both gauges. At that point the gauges are loose and those four screws also held the center warning light panel in place so all three items are loose. When these three items are pulled slightly out of the way and allowed to dangle you will find that the clock, odometer and the four gauges to the right are also no longer attached to the vehicle. I slid them slightly to the left and they came out. The clock/odo are attached to the remaining gauges. The second picture shows the location of that attaching screws that hold the clock/odo to the other gauges. In the fourth picture you can see the tabs that the screws went through, one at top and one at bottom.