Installing my new Diff | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Installing my new Diff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ok, I did all that and it feels great. However, I'm terrified that I'll put it all back together, fill it with oil just to tear it down again because it's not perfect. So, I'm leaving the side cover off for now. Once I have it installed and the shifter connected and all gears work smoothly, then I'll button it up.

I left the clutch housing off too because it's much easier to fill with oil before you install it. In the future, this is definitely the way I will install the engine anytime I've been in the gearbox.

It's 9:30AM and I'm off to Haiku!! If I'm not driving it by the end of the day, please arrange to have me euthanized.

Aloha!!!!! :D

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may get problems when you leave this cover open. the left front engine mount is there and may be if the engine is only fixed to 3 points and you adjust the shifter then later you have to adjust again.

so if you think now scott that all is ok then just put all together and get the engine inside the car. I´m sure now that the shifting would be all ok.

I will let me surprise in about 10 hours if you already did a test drive :)

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how is it going scott?
    first test drive done?
    and hopefully all ok? ! ! !

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    All is well but I ran out of daylight. I still have about 1-2 hours worth of work to do.

I did connect the shifter and it works perfectly. All gears, no problem.

Still have to put on the headers and exhaust
    bleed brakes
    bleed clutch
    fill with oil
    fill with coolant
    connect park brake cable
    rear bumper lower valance
    upper front grill
    belly pan
    rear wheels
    check tire pressure
    I'm sure there's more....but most of it's done.

I'm soooo tired.

1 more day and she's mine!

Sleep now.......

Aloha....

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    wow scott ! ! ! :) :D :)

nice to hear that up to now everything seems to be ok
    have sweet dreams about first test drive

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    oh scott,
    I thaught today when I have a look in the forum there would be a post from you that all is running fine?

but nothing :(

so problems or no time to finish?

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #432 qwazipsycho, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was joyous and tearful homecoming (tears of joy from me)

She's home. She's perfect.

It's funny how we train our brains to be hyper-sensitive about every little thing we know about our cars. I thought the clutch was stiff. It wasn't. It was just me. I thought the diff might be a little noisy on deceleration. It wasn't. It was just me. I haven't driven the car in over 3 years so it took a while to remember, that's the way it was.

I had forgotten how fast she was! I had my 15 year old son in the passenger seat when I decided to give her a short but serious jaunt off the line. When the speedo hit 60MPH he yells "4 seconds!" Well it may not be quite that fast but holy crap! I had forgotten how dense the air is here at sea level. She and I both enjoyed that little romp to 100MPH.

Sooooo much still to do. She's filthy and needs a serious bath. She needs new front tires, new leather dash, a new stereo, etc etc. and a million things more. But I'm so glad she's home. She'll sleep inside for the first time in 4 months. And I bet after the exercise she's going to sleep as well as I will knowing she's in the next room.

The amount of time I've put into this project is astronomical. The people who helped can line up around the block. There were so many. And that doesn't include those here on F chat.

Romano, you are a gentleman and a scholar. If you were here right now I'd have my wife kiss you! (Because I don't swing that way :D )

All you others I give a high five and a big thank you. There's too many to name. If you're reading this you're probably on that list.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Now I'm gonna drive it like I stole it and see what breaks next! I love this car!

Aloha and Mahalo to all!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    W O W scott ! ! !

you did a great job not even some F mechanics are doing or ever have done.

great to read that all is ok now :)
    so wait for the next break down :D what I hope will not come so fast

9. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    Congratulations !

10. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    incredible task accomplished !

congrats ;)

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The best is the feeling: SATISFACTION !!! because you did it all by yourself ... SUPER !

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That and the $15,000 that's still in MY pocket! :)

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #438 qwazipsycho, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now that everything is fixed and I know it's right, I thought I'd point something out that I'm surprised no one else caught.

Take a look at post #389 (page 20). The pic of the mid plate mounted on the flywheel with the clutch disk behind it. See the problem??? It explains why my clutch wouldn't work the first time. I swapped the disks. The disk in that pic should be on the other side of the mid plate. So the center section of the disk was wedged inside the mid-plate hole. I had to whack it with a hammer to get it loose. No wonder it wouldn't work!

Below is a pic of the correct disk behind the mid-plate.

No more Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments for me! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I could give you my account number to transfer :) :D :) no, joking !

but for this a forum like this one here is beautifull. also you see scott and all the others who are a little fit in mechanic that this all has been no magic. it only takes time but as melwok said: satisfaction. so driving now is much more fun and also you will drive more carefully because of thinking how all is working and what could get wrong all. or you will drive faster and more aggressive because you know now how to fix :) :D

this with the clutch I have not seen or not noticed because until now I never had a TR or BB with the original clutch. only with double disk sintered metal clutch, and that looks different.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    HOW is she today Scott ?

Enjoying her to the MAX ? :D