458 Clear Bra question | FerrariChat

458 Clear Bra question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferraripa, Aug 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripa

Ferraripa Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi everyone....About to pick up my new 2011 458 tomorrow, cant wait....Part of the included deal was a new full hood, mirror, bumper 3M clear bar installed by the dealership.....This is before I knew the car already had a full hood clear bra....current bra is in fairly good shape, but does have some noticeable air bubbles.
    Long story short, dealership said they will still give me a new clear bra, which is the direction I am moving towards, however they did say I might run the risk of some of the paint coming off the car when they remove the old one, which they have seen sometimes.
    Thoughts? has anyone had BAD LUCK removing a clear bra off of a 458...should I just live with what is there, or take the plunge and get the new one? Also important to note that current clear bra is not a 3M and they said the new 3M bras are fantastic, as tears/rip just disappear when some heat is put on them

thanks in advance

2. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am no expert but these films are meant to be taken off at some point, so I assume it shouldn't damage your paint. You wouldn't happen to be taking delivery of a 2001 Silverstone 458?

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    if the installer is experienced and reputable (as any fcar dealership should provide) he/she should be able to take the old clearbra off w/o damaging the paint

ps i have my whole car covered with 3m clear bra and love it, for a great installer contact Bain Mendoza if you are in Southern California his number is: 310 613 3978
    a true artist and would not trust anyone else with my car

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I looked into this in detail when I bought our '07 F430 which had a clear bra with material of the time. I wanted to replace it with the better materials available today, also cover more area. Here is what I learned:
    -- There is about a 25-35% chance of lifting paint from plastic surfaces (e.g.,the bumper), more if it has been refinished.
    -- There is a negligible risk of lifting paint from an original factory paint on aluminum body surfaces.

What I decided to do was to go ahead and remove the bra material from the hood and leave the bumper. The shop that did the work borrowed some time in the heat room of a neighboring paint shop. It came off easily without a problem.

Good luck.

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    My experiences as well. If there was any paint work on the car, and that paint was not cured for months, it may very well lift paint. Be interesting to know when they applied the original film, and if was recent, it may mean some paint work, and generally shops paint, then immediately film, which is not what I recommend.

If was me, and dealer was lifting and placing new film, I would not do the deal until it is all done. Be great to speak with the film installer too, and take a look at the paint before they add the new film, as film can hide paint imperfections.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    How bad are the bubbles? If they are small/ not annoying to you, I would leave it alone. The other posters are right that it shouldn't be a problem for a good installer, but even with the best there is a very slight chance you will damage the paint. There will always be small flaws/ bubbles....

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Take it to an expert at these things. It can be removed. The dealer is hedging his bets for the worst case situation.

Air bubbles on a car costing $250K? Not for me.

8. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    I have seen these applied and removed hundreds of times on new and older fcars. Not once did I witness lifted paint. This includes removal of new bras on brsnd new cars. I suppose it is possible.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

9. mikster

mikster Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    LA
    Full Name:
    SLOMO
    Is 3M the best for a clear bra, or Xpel

what is the best bra for a 458...

10. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Xpel has the virtue of self healing. Get a scratch? Put it out in the sun, wipe with water, and it will anneal out.

11. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    My dealer now films over the entire car.

12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    -- There is a negligible risk of lifting paint from an original factory paint on aluminum body surfaces.

What I decided to do was to go ahead and remove the bra material from the hood and leave the bumper. The shop that did the work borrowed some time in the heat room of a neighboring paint shop. It came off easily without a problem.

[/QUOTE]
    When I purchased my '06 F430 Spider I did the same thing: I had my painter remove the clear bra from the hood and fenders, and left it on the bumper and other places on the car (e.g., wheel arches and area around the bottom of the softtop). My painter used a heat gun, and gradually peeled off the clear material. He then used a liquid compound to remove the glue residue from the painted surfaces. I like the look without the clear bra, and take pains to avoid chips. I'm not as particular about the look of the bumper, and since it is the lowest part of the front end, the clear bra is a good protectant. Fred

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes, there is no perfect solution that applies to everyone in all cars under all driving conditions.

In my own case I found that I was not getting "hits" on the front paintwork but did notice small nicks in the windshield. Since (I think) the paint is more vulnerable than glass, I took this to mean that small stones were being swept above the bonnet of the car to hit the windshield. So I covered the windshield with a protective film.

Whatever works.

14. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Yes, there is no perfect solution that applies to everyone in all cars under all driving conditions.

In my own case I found that I was not getting "hits" on the front paintwork but did notice small nicks in the windshield. Since (I think) the paint is more vulnerable than glass, I took this to mean that small stones were being swept above the bonnet of the car to hit the windshield. So I covered the windshield with a protective film.

Whatever works.[/QUOTE]

Are there laws/restrictions about putting films on windshield. When I asked a detailer about this, he mentioned that it is possible to put a film or a coating on to prevent the pockmarks on windshields that have driven me crazy in past.

Anyone else have any experience with these films or coatings on the windshield? I guess my concerns about putting anything on the windshield are the possibility of a decrease in clarity of the windshield either when clean or certainly when dirty and (heaven forbid) when it is driven in the rain with all the roadspray kicking up onto it. Does it wipe cleanly with the windshield wipers like uncovered/uncoated glass? Along those lines, does coating/film get progressively scratched up over time making the view out the windshield hazy over time?