Limo Driver jams airport gps | FerrariChat

Limo Driver jams airport gps

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I don't understand; I know of these portable jammers, I am aware they are a huge no-no in the USA, but these are supposed to be small immediate area jammers. This $100 gadget took out the entire airport. VERY interesting.

oh obviously, not that they were going to go up to him and say 'can you turn that off'.

3. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    It didn't say the airport got taken out, only that it interfered. Probably nothing that could bring down an airport, but just enough to getting a funky reading from wherever the jammer is.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    The article says the jammer interfered with a specific GPS system called SmartPath. SmartPath is a differential GPS system (DGPS) or also called a Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS). These are used to provide 0.1 to 1 meter accuracy from GPS, which without augmentation, is good for just 10-100 meters. Differential GPS works by broadcasting the difference between the position error of a received signal at the actual surveyed location of a fixed reference receiver to a nearby mobile receiver, such as on an aircraft. Since the GPS errors at two receivers within a few miles of each other are similar, the broadcast correction can be applied at the mobile receiver to gain much better positional accuracy than with regular GPS. With this level of precision, you can conduct Precision Approaches, down to CAT III levels.

Because of this ground based architecture, the jammer only has to be near enough to one of the fixed reference receivers to take that out and affect the sub-1-meter precision that the system is intended to achieve. Because this would be a critical Nav system, there are probably autonomous signal integrity monitors/alarms on the fixed reference receivers that provide alerts when the received signal isn't within acceptable parameters.

5. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Depends on the jammer I guess (blocking only GPS vs 3 spectrums). But yea, to block more than 1 spectrum requires a few hundred dollars for an actively cooled unit.

Not very smart of him, but that's life