Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    1.1 No "Flaming": Please do not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another user.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You'll have to excuse Rob - He's new around here

<ducks>

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm your Huckleberry.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Is this not true?

I'm stunned.

:)

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    That would be Bob Ferrari of Scranton, PA. He loves it.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Oh my bad I thought he meant that on his death bed Enzo Ferrari approved this mutilation.

7. Jack Perry

Jack Perry Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Jack S Perry Jr
    If it does not have an actual GTO SN number on the Chassis, it is a fake. It may be a great fake, but it is still a fake. Having said that, I would love to drive it. However, I'd be too embarrassed to own it.

8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The "rules" on Fchat have never applied to everyone equally. Never.

Terry

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are 11 year user, 6k + posts, and subscribed. in other words license to kill. :D ;)

10. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    If this were in fact not cannibalized from a GTE but totally scratch-built: Has anyone ever taken the position that this sort of thing is merely a 1:1 'model?'

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That's called a Replica.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But something I would admire and not get so passionately upset about, and I would also consider comments about "making with his own hands", etc.

This car is no different to the now 100's if not thousands of GTE's, Lusso's (yes), PF's that have been ruined to make a GTO, TR, etc. replica. One REAL Ferrari less ... such a damn shame.
    Pete

13. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    100´s are more than enough! there have never been "thousands" of GTE's, Lusso's, and PF's! about 1750 of these models together have been built.

14. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i would still be interested in the GTE s/n.

no commercial interest - just for storing the pics on my computer.

15. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    Money doesn't buy taste, evidently.

16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Only 36 250 GTOs were ever built.

32 m/62 cars 4 of which were converted into m/64.
    3 more cars originally built as m/64.
    1 more car originally built with a LMB-body (s/n 4713).

Would love to see more pics of the donor car, that is the most interesting thing - and I too would love to find out the serial number.

17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Just giving him a chance to sneak in a 'missing' number.........;-)

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Can a 250 GTE chassis even be modded accurately into a GTO chassis? Or is the chassis number plate the only thing transferred to this replica.

19. MBPaki

MBPaki Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    TURIN
    Full Name:
    Miki Bellagarda
    #44 MBPaki, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ciao Michael,
    Photo Vallelunga september 2008
    All the best, Miki.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #45 miurasv, Aug 9, 2013
    I wonder if the chassis on any of the replicas are modded to replicate the triangulated sections in the sill area as on the genuine car? Also, what about the tubing that supports the bodies? Pic from David Clarke's 250 GTO book.

21. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #46 WilyB, Aug 9, 2013
    Apparently yes.

But I too hoped it was a GTE modified to GTO specs: that would have been awesome.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I'd so love to do that to a GTE and then drift past GTO replicas on the race track while giving the driver the single finger salute.

The good thing here is no GTE would be permanently harmed and what fun that car would be, what a sleeper :D
    Pete

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I must say from this picture this is one of the better looking replicas I've seen.

24. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You're dreaming... Even a GTO replica is much lighter and has much better weight distribution than a GTE. The GTE is a very nice grand touring car, but it is by no means a serious sports car. Never was, and never will be. Putting a bunch of GTO parts in a GTE would be like putting lipstick on a pig. There is no way a GTE, even with a lot of GTO parts will run with any reasonably real replica of a GTO.

It's about the same analogy in comparing a Corvette with a Camaro. While the Camaro is a nice car, it's not in the same time zone as a Corvette, even though they share engines and have a lot in common, it's just not the same thing, one is a sports car and the other is a 2+2 grand touring car.

For much the same reason, the GTE is pretty much the read headed stepchild of the Ferrari world. It was heavy, had poorer weight distribution, and was much slower and not nearly as sporting as a SWB or a GTO, or a Cali, or even a PF coupe. Add that to the fact that there were tons of them made, and they were not as valuable, some were not as well cared for, more of them were wrecked, and lots of them deteriorated to the point where they were picked over for their parts, or hacked into replicas of other more desirable models. Yes, the engines shared a lot of parts with the GTO, and for that reason you can make it pretty readily into a GTO spec engine, so that's why they are more valuable as parts than as whole cars. When all is said and done the GTE weighs almost 700 pounds more than a GTO and that makes it a touring car and not a sports car.

When the Ford Thunderbird changed over from sports car to a 2+2 in 1958, the purists bemoaned the loss of the sports car, but 1957 production was 21,000 units (and that included three more months of production because the 58 was late). The 58 2+2 sold 37,000 units in only 9 months. I'm sure Enzo was nobody's fool, and he and Pininfarina realized that there was a much bigger market for a 2+2 than a 2 place car, and based on what they saw with the Thunderbird, I'd bet is wasn't coincidence that they started working on the GTE in early 59, and the rest is history.

While this might be considered by some as heresy, you have to face it, there's lots of good reasons why GTE's are worth a lot less than other models produced in the 50's and 60's, and while some here revere all things made in Maranello, the GTE was the cash cow for Enzo's racing effort, and not much more.

25. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    No it can't. GTE main chassis rail tubing is larger in OD than GTO. : GTO 80MM oval- GTE 90 MM oval. There are also other differences as well that are not worth mentioning due to the basic size problem which is very ez to spot.