F40 LM Restoration | Page 37 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wittsy308

Wittsy308 Karting

Feb 2, 2008
    California
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What a fabulous thread. Wonderful work, thanks for sharing.

2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #902 Traveller, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fuel filler caps now fitted. All the windows are Perspex with the exception of the windscreen but were all in a sorry state. The rear screen is being renewed in Lexan as that was beyond redemption but all the side panels have now been buffed up, the frames repainted and now actually fitted. Nice to have elements being fitted for real, not just for trial.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Aussie

Aussie Rookie

Aug 18, 2009
    Looking good.

Love the guys apron in the 4th pic. Haha

4. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Any news on what the other F40 is in the shop for?

5. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    There will be an F40 LM at the Pebble Beach auction... If your LM will have similar value to that one, keep it for a long time before selling, and you'll have a comfortable retirement nest egg ;-)

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It apparently caught fire in the engine bay and so they are changing the entire fuel line to include all hoses and unions as well as fitting new alloy tanks to ensure no repeat. The tanks were not out of date, just an issue somewhere in the fuel system. When you strip these things down and you see how the driver is separated from the tanks but by a thin piece of firewall, it encourages you to ensure every element in the engine bay is as perfect as possible.

7. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #907 FerrariDublin, Aug 1, 2013
    Are you referring to the section circled in red? I think the suspension is unloaded but when the weight of the car is on it this component will be better aligned.

8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #908 Nurburgringer, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    Yes that's it.
    The "fork" may also not be in it's final position (assuming it can be rotated)?

I made the comment about the susp being compressed not due to the weight of the car, but maybe it was just a temporary dry fit hence the odd looking angle of the fork and upper a-arm joint. Also looks like the lower A-Arm is roughly parallel with the ground. Even though this will be riding relatively low with not a whole lot of wheel travel I'd have thought that with the suspension fully unloaded they'd be at least a bit lower towards the wheel, higher towards the car's center but again, maybe incorrect assumption.

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It uses a spherical bearing from what I can see so the angle is fairly irrelevant although odd looking, and no doubt lines up better under load.

I would be double checking though that its been assembled correctly post painting just in case the sides have been mixed up. If that upper arm was over the opposite corner then the angle would seem more in line with the mounting.

10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #910 Traveller, Aug 2, 2013
    A few general shots to show where we are finishing up the week. All Windows and window frames in and next week we hope to dry fit our fuel tanks and are scheduled to receive all our engine parts back from Crosthwaites. Too late to start saving for that one, newly honed cylinders, new exhaust valves, polished crank, reverse gear, titanium rods, pistons with new rings and together with our new flywheel all parts as necessary dynamically balanced. That will be yet another monster milestone. And bill.

Front air conveyor being dry fitted as yet to be restored and painted but this front end is just very busy underneath.

11. EVOeng

EVOeng Karting

Jul 1, 2011
    London, England
    Hi Tim,

I've been following this thread from the start – checking it on an almost daily basis; in fact I kept looking at the advert when this car was for sale. What a great buy! It's a fantastic build and I'm glad that you have shared the experience with all of us.

In reference to the windows, have you ever considered a hard-coat application? Essentially, it is the same protective coating that is usually applied to plastic headlights and it would be very easy and cost effective to do while the windows are loose. They would remove the risk of swirls and light scratches appearing again.

Here is an example of a hardcoated rear screen...
    http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-kits-windscreens/ferrari-360-challenge-with-vent-lexan-rear-screen.html

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #912 Traveller, Aug 2, 2013
    I have made reference to not wasting money on a flashy entrance so thought you might like to see just about all the soft cuddly customer facing element of Mototechnique that you get. Four storied, open plan, marble floored (imported from exotic climes) wood panelled, air conditioned atrium with gorgeous receptionist and coffee machine, all cleverly lit. Not.

We hope to make it onto their wall of fame with similar shots to the GTO.

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #913 Traveller, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Thank you but as you can see, just a teeny bit too late.......

14. tvision321

tvision321 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2011
    sweet Ducati!

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #915 Traveller, Aug 3, 2013
    A practice set up shot of a series of images we want to take in due course from directly overhead. Pretty perilous stuff as you can see Kevin's svelte frame balanced precariously on a horizontal ladder. Last time he did this was on the 250 GTO resto as per the pics of the reception above, so a good sign he sees this as a project of equal importance.

If we can get these images right, they could be amazing....

16. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    Beautiful shot! And, love the Paul Smart!

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #917 Traveller, Aug 3, 2013
    Happy to oblige but can I have your address for invoicing purposes please?!

First shot shows another LM, looks identical. Next shot shows that the Lads marked up all suspension components before disassembly as well as photographing them as they arrived from Michelotto so as to aid re-assembly. Regardless, we have an open mind and are constantly checking as we go and to date are keeping our eye on a possible lack of clearance as per last image. All gets pretty busy back there.

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Is that nearside (n/s) on a lhd car in the UK or Europe ? that could be the error, I personally still think its on the wrong side as the angle is no way as severe as the other LM shown.

We are all human and make silly mistakes in assembly, been there done that, just like when they put the discs on the wrong way around.

I will happily turn up with my spanners and swap them around for you just to see foc :)

19. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Yes Paul, the UK is still in Europe ( not much longer we hope ) and we still drive on the correct side of the road so near side = left hand, hope that clears the situation, cheers Penny

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I love shots from the top. Not enough people do em'

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    What I meant is if the car was in its native lhd country then nearside is actually opposite side to the UK version of nearside.

22. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Hi Paul. you've really got me confused now ....... we just stand at the rear of the car and look forward imagining that we are driving on the correct side of the road which leaves our sword arm free to forsail all on comers, a practice which has served us well .......... 2 cultures separated by a common language me thinks, cheers, Miss Penny.

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Could be its me then, nearside (n/s) for me has been nearest side of the car to the kerb, regardless of country, so for us in the UK the left hand side of a car if looking forward, and so on the continent the right hand side is nearest side to the kerb instead.

I am Welsh so maybe we do things different in the land of the gods :)

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #924 Traveller, Aug 4, 2013
    Forgot to mention, just dry fitted our new cabin floor here which we will leave out until later to avoid messing it up. Last one had more holes than floor.

25. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Speed holes.