What happens to debris? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What happens to debris?

Discussion in 'F1' started by kylec, Oct 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    He means "generate beer money" of course. ;)

I didn't get to go :)(), but remember the guys talking about squeezing "any old **** we can find" into the containers for the US flyaways; "those dudes will buy *anything*" was the mantra; Beer money for the crew;

- Brake pads - Heat 'em up in a saucepan, take 'em outside and "these just got removed from XYZ's car" could generate a good return. [Rotors were of course in even more demand.;)]
    - Broken bodywork - Someone will buy it!....
    - ****ed up/worn out bearings & shafts etc? "Fresh outta the car - It's still hot! Only one available!"

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I usually walk the track after the race and you always see people holding on to bits of broken cars. :eek: At Monza they usually take anything that isn't bolted down so you can see dozens of security around DNF cars :eek:

My friend was able to souvenir gloves from a Ferrari mechanic who left them on the fence for a second lol

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I still beat myself up over having been too honest after the Monaco GP of 84 where they stopped the race early. In the ensuing chaos I came by a stranded F1 car near Rascasse with nobody nearby. I could have easily removed the steering wheel but didn't. Wouldn't react the same way today :)

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Gotta give Eddie credit - He was about 10 years ahead of the game when it came to realising that knackered old F1 car parts and bits of shattered bodywork could still make money! :D

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Which reminds me of an old question we had here before but still haven't really answered:
    What happens to the cars and parts themselves?

The ones that are already 3 (?) years old and not famous: like all the Marussias, Force Indias etc? Why aren't they for sale? Or are they?

Occasionally I come across an old EJ car that's when I wonder why there aren't more around in private hands?

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Maybe it is just me - but does anybody else think that it is just a little beyond the creepy line to want to collect crash debris?

I can sort of see an engine or wheel made into furniture - but carbon fiber shrapnel just so you can tell the story of who hit who at what race?

Could be this is cool to some, but not to me.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What's the problem as long as nobody gets hurt?

Heck, I still proudly have the bent wishbone from my Skip Barber accident in my racing collection.

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    And you don't think that this adds to the general public impression that fans are crash-happy and not really there for much of any reason than to see exciting crashes?

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I suspect they are quietly sold off to motoring museums/private collectors to be used for static displays (and I'll bet a lot of these end up dressed up to look like a Ferrari F1 car!), some will become track-day toys (as you should well know! ;) ), BOSS series cars and other such playthings.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Do I care what the general public thinks?

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I bet you are right. Not so much museums but probably more like super rich guys who have one in their garage or on the wall in their mancave. Understandable but oh so wrong.

But not enough of them. Particularly not of the newer group (as in the last decade). Wherever I look (and you know I look hard for these things) I see the same group of cars over and over again. About the most recent for rent was Irvine's Jaguar offered for drives at Hungaroring. Just a few months ago I contacted those guys trying to set up a drive but they no longer answer. :(

12. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Guess not. Neither do I.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It might.
    If the general public were aware if the practice.

In a way its an ultimate souvenir.

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Some ends up with Ferrari Memorabilia Models Artwork Literature and Collectibles
    But I'm convinced most people just hang on to what they get.

Some ends up on the bay
    JAMES HUNT AND JOCHEN MASS MCLAREN M26 NOSE PIECE CRASH AT 1977 CANADIAN GP F1 | eBay

SEBASTIAN VETTEL RED BULL RB6 ENGINE COVER CRASH DAMAGED 2010 WORLD CHAMPION F1 | eBay

16. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    At Long Beach in '76 at the end of the weekend some of the team mechanics were selling off stuff. I have a Cosworth piston and spark plug from Surtees. Think I got bothe for $15. That was from back when some teams tore down engines in the garages instead of just replacing them like light bulbs.