What was I thinking??? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What was I thinking???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Linas, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Guys, one question - is there a spring in the gear shifter, which should be holding it in central position between second and third gears? In my case, the shifter is pretty loose in sideways movement.

2. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Something is not right there ... With the selector .. turbo Joe is good on this stuff .. pm him .. If really stuck ..

3. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Parts you bought sound cheap... Interested to see what happens when fitted .. Keep us in the loop ....

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I did my gearbox a while ago and had my interior completly out, so I should remember if the shifter is loose all around or not. but sorry please, I really can not remember right:(
    as I remember ( but no warranty ) the shifter itself has been centered always in the position left-right. but I could push it front and back and it never came back automatically. even I pushed it to left or right it was always coming back centered left-right.

when I look in the parts catalog page 34 I see 2 springs with number 31 and 35. the 35 is for holding the shifter up, so when you go in reverse you have to push down the shifter aginst this spring force. so may be the 31 is to keep the shifter in the middle???

but when you take out the center console and also the speed selector ( no. 25 ) you may remove the screw no. 27 ( same page ) . best to do remove would be the rear screw. then you just see where the problem is.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Linas, please post a picture !!!!! Otherwise we can not help ...

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    In almost every car or truck the shifter is centered Under spring tension. It should place itself between 2nd and 3rd in your case. My 308 and Mondial are like this and I can't imagine the TR to be different.

7. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Ok, so in my case there must be some issues with centering spring. Will take a closer look at it, when the center panel will be out for replacing the switches and gauges.

8. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Any updates Linas .... Did your parts arrive ?

9. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    So far so good! Parts arrived and will be installed when I get back from holidays! In general, all electric gremlins seem to be gone for good :) By the way, I am thinking about buying engine from white Japan big crash TR, which is parted out. Should be a nice garage decoration and piece of mind in case mine will blow up!

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Never hurts to have a spare engine sitting around....I'd get the gearbox/differential as well, after reading the thread on those...

You are NOT married???
    :D :D :D

I also vote "yes" the shifter should return to the center slot on the gate, at rest position

11. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Ok ... This is just my thoughts ......
    Linas your getting "Cow Bell Fever"... Hold off on the engine... you have driven this car for basically twenty minutes .. There is a good chance it holds a $$$$ surprise for you yet ...on top of that , blowing motors are not high on the TR repair list...I would suggest run the car some more ...fix what needs to be done and enjoy it for a minute.and if your that keen ...spend the money on a belt service or diff carrier.. fuel pipes etc ... Preventive maintenance ..Just my thought

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you have and drive ( not store ) a F you always are doing good to have a lot of spare parts. if you ever need them? but you have them and they do not eat bread and getting more worth every year. so try to get this engine with gearbox and all little things that belongs to the engine. and if the price is ok you can not make any mistake.

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed! That's the one thing about these cars that seems to be pretty solid. I watched my tach needle peg once while the gear box was in neutral!!! (Ferrari of Denvers fault, not mine) It was probably spinning near 10K RPM. It never phased it. I can't say all good things about this car but the rotating assembly and valve train are awesome!

14. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Guys, thanks for your insights, those are very valuable. Sure, I will keep a reserve fund for any unexpectancies, which will surface after more miles on my TR :)

15. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Ok, so I was thinking about one thing. Right now my TR has absolutely no service history. It came straight from insurance auction lot in US only with title. For the sake of piece of mind, would it make sense to do a cambelt engine out service? I know, it costs a lot, but right now I have no clue when (or IF) it has been performed in the past.

Another question - given my location, would anyone advise me about a good place to do this service somewhere in Europe, eg Germany? I'm cautious about costs being "reasonable" as well :)

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Have you thought of tracking down the previous owner via the VIN#? Maybe the insurance company will have their info?

17. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you do some investigating, you may be able to get service records. In my case, I was at least aware of what state my car came from and there was a gap in service records. I called every Ferrari dealer that state and was lucky enough to find two shops that the car was serviced at. They were both very helpful and I offered to pay them to send me copies of all the repair documents and both shops printed the documents out and did not charge me.

If you want me to help, give me the VIN# and where you think the car came from (state or region) and I can make some calls and see if we can find some maintenace records.

18. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    +1

19. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Oh, I would be extremely grateful if you could help me regarding this! I would cover your time and phone expenses, of course! I have the name and address of previous owner on the title and I have sent him a letter. Unfortunately, no response :(

20. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Send me the information you have and I will start by tracking down the ownerto see what he/she has and where maintenance was done. You can send me a personal message as the previous owners name is not needed for everyone to know. I will post status to everyone if we secceed in getting your car records. I don't need you to pay me anything as I like this kind of stuff, and happy to help as I know how bad I wanted to find my records.

21. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Thanks a lot!! The VIN is ZFFSA17S000077665. I am travelling now, so can't look at the title for exact info, but will send you a PM with previous owner's name and approximate address.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why are you not doing the service by yourself linas? it is not so difficult to do this work.

23. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Hmmm, good question. At this point, I would perhaps prefer this to be done by someone, who does this for living :) But I am still thinking.

24. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Hey Linas...here's another project for you on Copart!

Copart

How is your TR doing...been driving it much? What kind of reaction does it get driving around in Lithuania?

25. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Oh, this auction was not there, when I was checking Copart yesterday. Now you got me thinking :) After being through this once, I would be quite comfortable getting into a flood car affair once again, if the price was right :)

I'm driving my TR around my block mainly, as I still don't have the registration plates. I got almost all the required paperwork, so the registration should happen soon. Speaking about reaction... I guess, you would get a similar amount of attention, if you would show up in the X-wing from Star Wars during the rush hour! :D