How we SHOULD look at mileage | FerrariChat

How we SHOULD look at mileage

Discussion in '360/430' started by cs1, Jun 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    It still really annoys me that we worry about putting more miles on our cars and that low mileage cars are more coveted. We all (well most of us) seem to agree that what really matters is:

a) enjoying (driving) it as life is too short
    b) condition (rather than mileage, within reason)
    c) keeping a garage queen is a bit sad (and I feel sorry when I see a car and it says "coveted and only driven x miles")

Still, many of us are still reluctant to drive more. Its understandable to worry about depreciation but when you're talking about a 360, F430 or even F430, they've depreciated to a point already and probably won't depreciate as *much* for the extra miles as some of the daily drivers we drive will.

I admit I also fall prey to this and sometimes think that I won't take it on a longer trip, but it really is like not sleeping with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy. Ironically as well its the low mileage cars that generally cause most issues through lack of use!

The way the market SHOULD look at mileage is that there is a band of "reasonable mileage" a car should have done a year (say 2-3k a year) and if its within that its been used enough but not too much. This would put average miles on some cars at for example:

1995 Ferrari 355 (36,000 - 54,000 miles)
    2002 Ferrari 360 (22,000 - 33,000 miles)
    2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 10,000 - 15,000 miles)

This example doesnt always work (the upper limit for a 1980 308 would be 99,000!) but you get the jist of what I'm saying.

Will this ever change?

2. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Great post.

I am sure there will be pros, cons and middle of the road comments to follow.

I drive my car when possible. It's fun. I like fun.

Will things change...I doubt it.

People buy these cars for different reasons and some honestly believe that not driving it is a good thing.

If you ask what the mileage is on my car to the mile I couldn't tell you...Somewhere at 21 or 22 thousand miles...due in July for the annual fluids.

Tom

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Good points.

When I bought my 2003 360 spider it was 9 years old and had 5,000 miles on it. I have to admit, as I got close to 10,000 I started to drive it a little less. Once I got past that emotional barrier, I said screw it! Am I worried that I'll get a little less if and when I sell it?...NO Am I worried that I will break it?...NO

20 months later, I have tacked on 9,000 super fun, care free miles. Bare in mind I live in the Chicago area, so not much driving from November to May.

DRIVE AND ENJOY!!

4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I agree there is a happy middle ground. Too few miles screams poorly maintained car that sat unused for god knows how long and will have lots of problems to me. Too many miles screams car that was bought as a daily driver and likely to have all kinds of wear and show age. Car driven 1-3k per year is just right for me. Says the car was run regularly as a pleasure car and probably always kept in running condition, but doesn't get so much use as to need a lot of cosmetic work to look great. So that would be in the 15k-30k miles range for a 10 year old car for me, close enough to your range.

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I estimated I would drive approximately 2500-3000 miles per year and that has held true. I drive whenever I feel like it and don't think too much about miles. Usually its a comfort or convenience issue when I choose the SUV over it. It's not too comfortable to drive for long periods of time.

I have a 07 430 and 13000 miles.

6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I drove all my Ferraris and Lamborghini daily. In fact the Testarossa was driven over 33k miles in three years and the 328 70k miles in a decade, and both looked fabolus at resale. It becomes a part of life, the many hours to keep them looking mint and mechanically well kept. As I grew older now at 42 I have too many things keeping me busy, but who knows maybe I'll hunt down my ex F430 within this year and buy it back...

7. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'm 100% with the OP here. Personally I don't understand why you would want a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo etc as a garage queen. They are made to be driven.

Mine is barely run with about 16K miles. I am driving the backside off it when ever I can. It just keeps getting better.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ferrari with 50K miles on it as long as it checked out.

Great post.

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I bought my car with 19,500 miles on the clock. So, I knew within 2 tanks of gas, it would be a 20k mile car. It's Ok, because I basically paid 20k mi. money for the car, in that I used the mileage to my advantage during the purchase process.

I plan to drive mine around 3k miles per year, so I guess I'm falling at the top end of the "reasonable" range. Still, whatever, I bought it for me, not for the next guy.

At the end of my term, it sells for what it sells for. Sunk costs are sunk, but smiles per mile are priceless. That said, this low-mileage situation will probably never change. It's probably because the Ferrari is usually a second, third, or more car for the guy who bought it. He has to spread his miles around on his cars. I guess it's a good thing - more people should own more nice cars, that's my opinion. It's a good problem to have.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In 5 years time the 360 will fall into 4 camps IMHO: "No miles" (<500 miles) that will command the highest prices as they are museum pieces. You see this with any and every make/model. "Average" which at the 20 year mark will probably be about 30k miles or so, and "High Mileage" (what >50k miles) with less difference between the Average and High than you might think in price. Finally the bright orange and lime green "Salvage cars" forming the floor of the market. For your average 360 I think 2-3k miles a year is a good approximation.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    But....I like bright orange.

Really, I do.

11. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Adding on, once you get past a certain age miles matter less anyway. For example, you could get a 25 year old car with few miles, but it will still need a bunch of work (assuming it hasn't been done along the way) with perishable parts like seals, bushings, hoses, etc... The cost of that kind of spruce up with likely be the same regardless of the miles...right?

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Higher mileage will actually reduce those costs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

13. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #13 cm2, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How we should think about mileage is to stick a piece of electrical tape over the odometer and not give it another thought.

15. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Totally agree. Ive always harped on the fact that cars are meant to be driven. That is their purpose, as Agent Smith in The Matrix would tell us :)

Most of these cars arent collectible and wont appreciate in value. Unless you are a true collector thats looking to have cream puffs of every car model ever, go drive the damned thing. I blame the "collectors" who buy this stuff and shove them into atmosphere chambers for most of the cars life.

Ive shopped around for exotics and tend to stay with the more affordable stuff. In most cases, the regularly used cars were WAY better "buys" than the ones that sat. I'll take a few paint chips/wheel marks & up to date service/running condition versus showroom paint with all kinds of nasty things lurking for me at a later date.

I said this is on the 348/355 thread but at some point when I can add an F-car, I'll be the guy that will buy your car from you even if it has 60K miles on it. As long as you kept her in good nic :D

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #16 vrsurgeon, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh god no! Rosso Dino is magnificent!

I'm thinking more of hurl inducing:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hmmm...wonder how it would look with challenge wheels. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

18. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013
    Insn't that Rosso Scuderia?

19. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    2-3K miles per year? You guys oughta lease these cars and not buy them. I've put 2K on my scud in less than 3 weeks! I'm having a hell of a lot more fun than all of you!!!

20. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    I plan on driving mine 8-10k per year. Never understood buying a car like this and not driving it. I bought mine to DRIVE!

21. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    No, it's Rosso Dino. Hard to capture exactly in photos - its really very orange in direct sunlight, and trends towards red in the shade/overcast.

22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Not necessarily. If that's your DD, then fine. But some people have multiple cars and put miles on different machines depending on the mission / payload / weather / environment.

It's not just: buy a Ferrari and then drive it nonstop. Today, it might HAIL in my town. So, I drove the Ferrari in the morning, then went home and switched it for a Mercedes at lunch. So what?

23. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    That's completely normal with Scud ownership! Its hard not to drive.

24. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013
    Less miles is better, less wear & tear not just on the engine and drivetrain, but on the seats, the carpets, the steering wheel, the suspension & bushes, the paintwork, the glass, everything.

I think its cool when you see a supercar thats done stellar mileagle, such as the Evo Magazine Murcialago at 122K miles and counting, but pretty much everyone wants to be closest to factory fresh and that will always command a premium.

25. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013