Dino 246GT came 4th in New Zealand touring car race in 1973 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT came 4th in New Zealand touring car race in 1973

Discussion in '206/246' started by dgt, May 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The IGM line looks different to me in the window comparison.
    Pete

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm thinking it's #01708, the paint looks too dull in the B/W photos to be giallo fly.
    The markings on the glass looks to be "0 S K" on the photo's I received.
    Nothing from Continental.

John, who was the sponsor called "EUROCARS" on the side of the car?

3. John246

John246 Karting

May 14, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Full Name:
    John Skevington
    Hi there, I am still trying to find out details of this car. I have a feeling that this car was the cream colour rather that Fly Yellow. I am going to check out some early NZ magazines a friend owns to see if that gives us a clue or two.I don't know what the official name of the cream colour is but there are, or were two that colour here in NZ.One lives about an hour from us but rarely sees the light of day. Another long term owner car. the other , I think was sold last year. It had been in his ownership longer than ours, probably 30 years. It may have gone to Australia since a dealer there purchased one or two here in the last couple of years. I have also put a search out on the Ferrari Club Facebook page here but no luck so far.Will keep searching anyway. Cheers - John.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There used to be a light yellow 246GT that I used to classic race against 20 years ago. He used to race it often until he lost it coming over the top of the hill at Pukekohe and it bumped the wall on the inside. He had owned the car from new I think and used to drive it to and from the track. Wonderful original car. I never saw the car again ... and we all wondered if it would be repaired and end up red :(.
    Pete

5. John246

John246 Karting

May 14, 2010
    New Zealand.
    Full Name:
    John Skevington
    Hi Pete, I think the car you remember is the one that was sold a year or two back. I believe it lived in Northland but I dont know if its still in NZ or not. It was for sale for about $200,ooo NZD back then. Fazazz have just sold a red chairs and flares car in Christchurch. The asking price was $325,000NZD. Dont know if it stayed here in NZ or sold offshore.

6. Huntandgather

Huntandgather Rookie

Jul 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nigel Z
    Hi fullas..

In researching my 246 Dino I came across this old post. It's great to read everyones interest in which car it was.

I can confirm that the car in question, driven by Tim Bailey back in 1973 is #1708. I know this as I now own #1708 and have the original NZ New ownership papers that show the original rego was FR6209. The factory original colour was Giallo Senape at the time the photo was taken in 1973.... she also has the glass etchings "OSK" on the windows as previously mentioned by Matthias as being a 1971 car.

#1708 was repainted red several years ago.. she is still red today and has rego HB8345... from the ownership papers, it looks like the rego was changed to HB8345 when Tim Bailey sold the car after racing the mayfair cup in 1973. The B&W photos are great.

She's a wonderful car, still going strong.. a great driving car... gets out on the road very regularly, Ive just clocked her to 100,000 miles . She will be 50 in a couple of months....and like anyone who knows what 50 feels like, will know that she's only just warming up towards her prime :)

If anyone has any further info/photos on #1708 you would be willing to share I'd greatly appreciate you reaching out.

Cheers

Jack-the-lad, dgt and GermanDino like this.
  7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Nigel,
    Congrats on owning this Dino and confirming the history for us, good to see this old thread had a happy ending and the car wasn't lost.
    All the photos in post #5 I ordered from oldracephotos.com, you might have these already (I believe this was all they had).
    Could you post a few photos of the car today? Bonus points for some NZ scenery in the background :)

Cheers, Andrew