Has F1 outgrown Monaco | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Has F1 outgrown Monaco

Discussion in 'F1' started by TonyL, May 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The station hairpin is the tightest turn in F1 and does require a modification to all the cars' front suspension.

There's nothing about this year's race that suddenly makes Monaco different. It's been that way for years. Sooner or later, as WC Fields said "you've got to take the bull by the tail and face the situation".
    :)

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. No big deal.

It remains one of F1's most iconic corners. We even saw some overtaking going round it! :eek: ;)

The chicane (turns 10 & 11) is pretty darn good at doing what was intended IMO.

:)

As I said way back in this thread, it's always been "different". Nothing wrong with that. I'd certainly rather it remain on the calendar than migrate to another Tilke dome. It remains one of the better tests of drivers IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It has only lasted because its a tax haven status for most on the grid and paddock. I read somewhere that almost a 1/3rd of the principality's income is generated from F1 over the weekend. That's why, if it wasn't then they may have to bring in income tax instead......heaven forbid

If you want a nostalgic race go to a historic car race, F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing and the cars need to be unleashed. Its a bit like letting a greyhound run around your front room.

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    An average speed of ~100mph thru narrow streets with barriers all round is a pretty good test IMO.

Have you ever been?

Or "Flying a helicopter in your living room" ;) (Keke?)

It's a fabulous and unique challenge that tests everyone - The teams (working there *sucks*!), the engineers and yes, the drivers.

Again, long may it continue! As Tom said, F1 without Monaco would be like F1 without Ferrari.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's stayed because the sponsors love it.

Keep it by all means. Just don't award points. It's not like anyone will stay away or the fans will even notice.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Also meant to note, that's nonsense too IMO.

As we know, Bernie will take them anywhere there's money to be made. Nothing to do with being a tax haven or anything else - He recognizes it as the jewel in the crown and doesn't charge 'em a hosting fee. It's always the first on the calendar every year - Everything else works out from that.

Bernie is no fool!......

Cheers,
    Ian

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm beginning to doubt that but not in regard to Monaco.
    ;)

The people who put up the money love to be seen at Monaco. Love to bring clients and reward star employees. Love to hobnob with the likes of David Hasselhof and Mariah Carey.
    It feeds the f1 fantasy. Even if the jewel in the crown is rather gaudy and of dubious taste.

8. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    1984......need I say more? SENNA ;-)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BD3xhX0TcE]1984 F1 Monaco Grand Prix - Corrida Completa (Full Race) - YouTube[/ame]

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Ian
    Yes I have and enjoyed it, but has f1 outgrown Monaco.....IMO it has.

There are plenty of tracks that are much better and more entertaining. Monza is steep in tradition but has no free ticket.

Yes it has a degree of uncertainty which spices up the show but should we rely on solely the chance of something going wrong to entertain us.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I have been a number of times. As i've stated - its not the most fan freindly place... but you do get a huge after racing experience... and it's France ( for the most part) so the food is great as is the wine. Topless bathing not bad too...

the comment was" "Monaco is like riding a bike in your livingroom" said by Nelson Piquet in 1982.

On practice days -the noise of the cars is just amazing. coming from the petite corniche thru the tunnel into Monaco its just so cool.

There is a lot of posturing and posing... but the actual racing is pretty good... you have to be on it to even get around the course. I've driven the track ( on Friday) and its amazing the tight space... but there are places where you have plenty of room... but its only for an instant.... Drivers today who just are used to touching wheels, and slamming thru a corner with the other guy getting out of the way... just dont know how to make the move.

As much as i criticize Senna -he was the master of the track. in 88 he was passing back markers everywhere... that is amazing!

An average of 100 MPH at Monaco... is mind numbing... can you imagine taking station hairpin at 100MPH? ( i know they dont, but considering you do it at 40 MPH, and you still average 100mph!!!!!!) Its pretty spectacular.

On TV it may look not as exciting as a NASCAR race, but its real thread the needle stuff, that Makes F-1 the best...

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    BTW - Monaco is the only race where FOM does not control:
    1. sponsorship
    2. TV rights
    3. Paddock club and souvineres

SBM - Society des Bains de Mer is the Prince's business that controls Monaco and tourisim. they have the rights to all the income from the race. I beleive there is some fees shared with FOM now but they still retain the right to control the event. if you notice Monaco is the only race that all the bill boards are dissimmilar on corners. you will have Rolex with TAG Heure.. SBM with UBS... all in the same TV shot! This is how they control the $$$$ coming into the Principality.

Bernie knows that he cant replicate Monaco anywhere else and not have to foot the bill him self... its one of the oldest continuing social destinations / events ... wimbledon, Kentucky derby, Ascot, etc... and the best thing is it attracts the latest of the jet set, young royals, and young billionaires...$$$$ is the sports life blood, and Monaco provides all the stuff you need... sun, sex, food, booze, gambling, and some fast cars.... for most of the people who are there the race is 3rd or 4th... its the partying, social who's who, and busienss & $$$.

12. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011

1) @:47 seconds it's clear how ridiculous that ROADBLOCK is, in the few clips of the race I have seen I saw many drivers go straight thru. It's an abomination. There is no need to keep speeds down there vs. previous times. (you may want to lookup facetious)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrfWy9xTbE4]Monaco 2013 F1 crashes and highlights - YouTube[/ame]

2) I will post in another thread regarding sound and power

3) they are racing drivers, supposedly the top tier. That means the brains to know when to stop and slow, should be easy these days as they have much less to do. Going back to a previous discussion it is possible to make tracks virtually death proof. At this monaco roadblock just make sure there is nothing that could launch them, have a nascar style fence lining the harbor and peanut filled barges there if necessary (at 10,11)

I am in favor of the Monaco GP just not what they have done to the course

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I'd just add that "they've" been saying that about it since pretty much year one! That's part of it's appeal to me - It's *very* different to what they normally have to deal with.

Not me! I'm quite happy if there's no "drama"..... Hard to beat a nice clean race IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hard to have a clean race in Monaco.
    Not with young guns like Chico looking to make their bones.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're joking, right?

Sure, they've got flappy paddle gearboxes, but last I read the manual for the steering wheel extends to over a hundred pages; Want to put in a quick lap? You better be on the very, very top of your game.

"Threading the needle" is something they only need to do here these days, and long may it continue.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Exactly!..... I've noticed the "anomalies" before, but didn't put 2 & 2 together on the reasons - Thanks for the insights. ["We" also have an open question for Bernie asking why he doesn't relinquish at least, say, the Paddock Club to the promoters so they can at least try and make some money......]

Fer sure, the teams marketing departments want it! I suspect many sponsors would pull out if it wasn't a real round of the championship.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    They wouldn't care any less if points weren't awarded.
    They come for the parties and the networking. Some may even watch a bit of the race.

18. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Don't know if this has been posted before, and I don't recall if a full in-car lap was televised this year, but this video demonstrates the "threading the needle" aspect unique to Monaco. Passing on this course takes incredible skill, not to mention balls.

Formula 1 onboard lap in Monaco. [VIDEO]

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And luck

20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would say it does take some guts to drive flat out through narrow street circuit like Monaco, but remember these guys are tuned into the cars with fine precision. They change gear, steer and control with pinpoint accuracy every time and with inhuman consistancy. Look at the lap times over the race, tenths of seconds difference.

That skill is taken to every track not just Monaco.

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a bit harsh ......... but exactly what I was thinking at the time ;)

Having said that, I don't think Alonso deserved to win the way he drove and Nico controlled the race as he should have , so job well done

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. No argument from me on any point there.

The difference however is that they can **** up with impunity on a Tilke dome, not so much at Monaco......

+1

I said earlier, I gained a lot of respect for the young lad this past week; He had many opportunities to get it wrong, yet didn't.

Hopefully, Fred (and Phil) will be back on form next week.....

Cheers,
    Ian

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Took two safety cars and a red flag to catch that bus.

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not quite, we have seen on numerous occasions whereby the car touches the white lines and hey presto your off the track and beached in the gravel.

Of course the Armco is less forgiving but that doesn't make it a spectacle in its own right.....unless that's what you want to see.

Tracks have evolved over the years to accommodate cars and make the show better. So do you alter the track or restrict the design of the cars to make them fit the track. But when you have a track like Monaco whereby we all witnessed a procession, it didn't do the sport any favours.

25. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I am a new fan of F1. I have slowly increased my interest the last few years in the sport and now this season I make sure I record and watch each race. I was really looking forward to this race because of its history.

It was the most boring race I have watched. The setting is great but there is little opportunity to pass on the narrow circuit.