What was I thinking??? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What was I thinking???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Linas, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Just checked the disassembled seat and realized that there are no electric motors in it. I feel a bit stupid now :)

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why stupid??? no reason ! ! ! :)

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    While you are in the doors, make sure to open up the window motors and clean out the old green grease that usually hardens. Clean up and use redline grease and the hesitation should improve or go away. Appoligize if this was already mentioned.

4. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Ok, thanks for the tip! I just agreed with my mechanic that we will leave windows as they are for a while. They work, but are a bit slow. We will get back to them late autumn or winter :)

5. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Ok .... Big questions is ????? How far away is the first drive around the block .. Are we close Linas.. Would luv some more photos.. trying to gauge where you are up to with this... Do you think you are far of a drive or is there still lots of work to go... Reality is , the car would more of likely required some work on something,prior to the water is there anything else you have seen needing attention .. Brad ..

6. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    We think, it should be finished by early next week. I will be out of town next week, so I guess, I will have a chance for a first proper drive Thu-Fri next week :) Will try to get some decent pics soon.

7. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Great read. Congratulations Linas. If possible make a video of the first drive for us.

Cheers
    Samuli

8. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Linas... Any news !!! where sitting on the end of our chairs here.. With that said don't rush things .. We will still be all here .. Just go through everything one Thing at a time . The car will slowly come to you.. Would like to see some photos .. Thanks Brad

9. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Just give me some time :) The original plan is to get everything finished by the end of day tomorrow. I hope I will get a chance for a testdrive either tomorrow or the weekend. Stay tuned!

10. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Thank you for the update Linas... Don't rush .. Just get things right as I said we will all still be here ...it's a big job we understand .. Brad

11. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #111 Linas, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's done!!! Just a few minor things, needing attention, but I'll take care of them later. Sorry, no video, because I had noone to take it, while I was driving it off the trailer. 5 minutes after taking it into the garage, it got dark and started to rain. According to the forecast, it will be raining all day tomorrow, but maybe there will be some bright spots, so I could drive it!!!

Few poor pics from my mobile phone camera, inside the garage. It does weird things with red color, but in reality the car looks astonishing, paint has no flaws at all.

Hmmm, maybe I should save this one a well? :) Another poor flood victim...

Copart
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    :D Great job!

Good thing you aren't driving her in the rain --she's had enough water for the year. :D

13. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    WOW !!! Linas .. That's fricken amazing .. ... What's the registration procedure where you are .. Fairly straight forward....
    Looks ready to roll well done .. With risk comes reward .. Enjoy man you deserve it.. italian tune up time !!! ..

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Fingers crossed for your 30 minute maiden drive.

Good luck !

15. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    #115 Linas, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I was driving it for 45 min today. No strange noises, no issues. It sounds and feels amazing, what a car!! However, the following were some issues, which I noticed:

Coolant temperature gauge is behaving funky. My mechanic tried to rebuild it, but afterall he recommended to replace it. During the drive it pretty soon moved to the max side and stayed there all the time. When I switched off the engine and let it cool down before restarting, the gauge was still showing max temperature.

At the end of the drive, while backing it up into the garage (my driveway has incline, so I was not releasing clutch fully), I noticed some light smoke from the clutch. Should I be worried?

When hot starting, innitially idle is a bit rough. After a slight tap on accelerator it gets better and stays smooth later on.

The following electric things need attention: turn signal blinkers not working, wiper return mechanism not working, horn not working (just a click in the fuse box), headlights sometimes get stuck on the way up (need to wiggle their connector in the fuse box a bit, then they work again), not all controls in center console work well.

So that's my update for today! See the pic, my younger brother is absolutely loving the car :)

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Do you think it's the coolant temp gauge , or do you actually think the car is overheating ?

Dd you redo/replace all the hoses when you did the engine out ? Was the rad rebuilt ? Seems a little suspect that you would be able to drive for 45 minites if it was overheating...maybe is just the gauge ?

Good start, glad you enjoyed the first little drive, wishing you many many more.

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    If it's the same as my 87 TR the horn is an air horn, probably the compressor is not working. You can try and fill it with oil, there is a little spot to put the oil, and keep trying to spin it. If not you can replace the compressor. The compressor and horns are located in the front grille about center.

18. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    The compressors are pretty simple affairs, easy to disassemble and clean. Probably just gunked up. Doubt it has been used enough to wear it out : ) First step is to hit it directly with +12volts-be ready though if it decides to work you will jump : )

Seems you would have seen other signs if the engine was overheating-seems like a sender problem is likely as the gauge was moving.

the clutch could just be tired or have a bunch of junk on it that needs to burn off. Wonder if you could use the vin to find the owner prior to the insurance claim and get some records.

Overall sounds like a big success with electrical gremlins that are going to require some chasing but not a huge $ outlay.

19. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Yep, in my view, it should be an issue with a sending unit and/or gauge. Will take a closer look at it. All cooling system components were ckecked and cleaned.

Thanks!

20. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    The US owner name and address are actually in the title. I think, I will send a letter to him, since I was not able to find any more contact details in google.

Maybe someone from forum is living close to Sayreville, NJ 08872? I would be happy to pay for your time and gas, if you would be able to check this out for me.

21. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    Inspect the fuse box ... And search some threads here ... Know to be be a little iffy at this age .... Just tackle these issues one at a time .. Sounds like the temp gauge is bonkers but still would take a close look to check motor is not running hot .. Like Big Red said unlikely for the time driven but check .. You could go down in f chat history as Record "Hero to Zero" if you cook it ... Well done car looks great ..

22. BEWKABAILEY

BEWKABAILEY Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Bradley Coleman
    With the clutch.... All the basic principals are the same as any other clutch Linas ... Ask yourself .. Does the Pedal operate smoothly and pick up in time .. It does not slip under load .. When you saw the smoke did you think it was because you were slipping it to reverse into your garage .. How long is the driveway ... If the answer is yes to all these .. good chance you have over heated it reversing ...I would let it cool down and go for another drive see if it happens agains ..it it was saturated it could well be the Italian tune up working its magic ????
    Let us know what you find ...and we can go from there ..

23. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    Ok, so after a chat with my mechanic, I just made a radical decision for the sake of minimizing amount of electric gremlins in the future :) I've been in correspondence with one guy in Ebay, who is parting out '88 TR. So I just made a good deal with him re all three engine control modules in rear right wheel arch plus whole center console electronics. Those were causing most of the headache for my mechanic and worries about long term reliability.

Wohooo, money spending goes into a higher gear :)

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How do you overheat a clutch.. Seriously.. Stop revving so high.. If you gently release the clutch you dont even have to give her any gas.. Overheat the clutch.. When your temp gauge was malfunctioning, did you properly bleed cooling system. Did you cehck the temp sensor that is sending the signal to the gauge. How are you so sure its the gauge. Just curious how much did the ecu's, harness, interior gauges and electronics cost you?

R

25. Linas

Linas Karting

Jan 26, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Linas
    It was a first proper test drive after almost 6 months of sitting after a being submerged in water. I assume, there was some stuff left in the clutch assembly, that heated up and smoked. I was not revving it. Yep, temperature sensor has been checked, but you never know, we will look at it again. Also I will borrow IR camera from the workshop, that they use to test the engine temperature.

I paid 2200 USD for everything including shipping. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I got ripped off with this price :)