Non-metric wheels for 512BBis | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Non-metric wheels for 512BBis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by speer, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Any update here?

2. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    Not yet, apparently.

3. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have been waiting on my TRX for 6 months now, they were supposed to be here March, and Im starting to think they might never arrive, so these new wheels look interesting to me as They are in my oppinion closer to stock than carobu (dont like the shine nor the rivets/bolts). Sent an email to group 4 to get pricing and more info, anyone here has been in contact with them lately to check on this issue?

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The below post was entered in the other thread "Where to get tyres? For BBi".

It would seem that delivery of the metric size tyres for BBi is about to start.

05-23-2013, 08:07 AM
    rovexienus
    Rookie
    Not Subscribed

TRX 415
    At least one tire supplier in Europe has confirmed that TRX 415 are back in stock (apologies for the French language):

Subject: Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd Retour Produit en stock
    Date: May 23, 2013 1:00:08 AM GMT+02:00
    To:...

Cher ...

C'est pour vous faire savoir que le 240/55VR415 MICHELIN TRX: PNEU VOITURE: ROUTE: METRIQUE : TL objet est maintenant de retour en stock sur le site Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd.

Cliquez ici pour afficher l'élément.
    240/55VR415 MICHELIN TRX: PNEU VOITURE: ROUTE: METRIQUE : TL from Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd
    at The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, S042 7ZN, Angleterre 0044 1590 612 306 [email protected]

Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd is a trading name of Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd
    Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd is a company Registered in England and Wales with company number 00723112
    Registered office: The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, Hampshire, S042 7ZN

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Google Translate:

Dear ...

This is to let you know that the Michelin TRX 240/55VR415: CAR TYRE: ROAD: METRIC: TL object is now back in stock on the site Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd.

Click here to view the item.
    240/55VR415 MICHELIN TRX: PNEU VOITURE: ROUTE: METRIQUE : TL from Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd

5. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    According to their database, TRX 240/55 VR 415 are still not available:

Tyre Catalogue

But I have been told as well that (after 1 year of waiting!!) that finally this should be the month when they make them.

Please, if anyone has got any news, please post an update here.

Ps
    I cannot even count how many BBi and 400i owners are waiting for these tyres..

6. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ok, I just called Michelin Classique at Customer service : + 33 (0)4 73 41 75 00 and they confirm that the TRX 240/55 VR 415 is finally in production and will be delivered worldwide starting mid-June. So fingers crossed!!!

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this year or next year? :)

8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Group 4 replied they expect a 120 day delivery time, but still haven't fixed a price on the wheels, they did say to expect a max 2500 GBP for a set including fitted splined adapters and cover plates.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

with splines and covers? sounds fair enough! looking forward to further updates.

10. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    #110 speer, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After some delays, Group 4 Wheels in the UK are gearing up to manufacture 17” non-metric wheels for injected Boxers. The wheels are designed to look like the originals with no bling that seems to have marked other efforts at non-metric wheels. They are single-piece aluminum wheels. The dimensions are 7.5”X 17” ( front ) and 8.5” X 17” ( rear ). They are intended for tires only slightly larger than but comparable in size to the original TRXs but available in modern designs and rubber from several quality tire suppliers. They should free BBi owners from the outdated, expensive and only sporadically available TRXs for better handling under common driving conditions. The price is reasonable at 2000 pounds a set ( if ordered preproduction ) even with having to transfer the center pieces from the existing wheels (which will in any event assure proper fit on the splines). I have no pecuniary interest in Group 4, but I support the principle of seeking originality combined with modern non-metric performance tires. I intend to pre-order a set. Following is what Group 4 has released:

"Group 4 Wheels is proud to announce our new 17” wheels for the Ferrari 512 BBi.

The car was originally designed with a 415mm magnesium wheel for which Michelin supplied the TRX tyre. Tyre technology has moved on considerably in the last 30 years, however, and the TRX is now only sporadically available. To address this, and to mitigate the issues surrounding running magnesium wheels more than 30 years old, we have created the perfect wheels for this, most perfect of cars: the BB1775 and BB1785.

We have designed our wheels to look as similar to the originals as possible, while ensuring modern tyre compatibility. Our wheels are British-designed 7 1/2” & 8 1/2” x 17s. They are low-pressure die cast in Italy using motorsport specification aluminium and are heat treated. They are guaranteed for rally, road and race applications.

Whilst we are not purporting to replace the original wheels, we think the BB1775 and BB1785s will compliment them and the car perfectly; allowing the owner to enjoy their car to the full, never needing to worry about a puncture on that European tour or wearing out a tyre on the track.

The wheels are on course for delivery at the end of May. They are priced at £2,500 + VAT per set, with an earlybird preproduction price of £2000 +VAT if ordered and paid for by 31st May 2015. We will happily email prospective customers with updates showing the process of die manufacture and wheel casting - just ask me to add you to the mailing list.

A CAD rendering of the final design is below. Please contact me directly with any queries or to place your order.

Regards,
    Jonathan"

Jonathan Sage, Group 4 Wheels Ltd
    +44 1225 430 502 or +44 7971 988 735 [email protected] group4wheels.com facebook.com/group4wheels

Registered in England No: 8250560
    Registered address: 141 Englishcombe Lane, Bath BA2 2EL
    VAT No: GB144346814
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That's great news.

Too bad it is too late for my Forza article.

12. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Nice looking wheels. Too bad they don't offer other sizes. I have to run an 18" wheel because of the larger brakes on my car and when I was sizing tires at the time you had a lot more options in an 18" tire.

13. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Would these fit single nut Testarossa?

If not... there are market for Testarossa wheels.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No.

Offset is very different.

15. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    Would these fit single nut Testarossa?

If not... there are market for Testarossa wheels.

The Group 4 wheels were designed to get away from metric wheels for which TRXs are the intended tires. The injected Boxers were the only Boxers that came with the metric wheels. I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that Testarossas all came with non-metric wheels and did not share the injected Boxer's need for the non-metric option provided by the new Group 4 wheels.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    85 and some 86 TR's came with TRX wheels. Different offset though.

17. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    #117 speer, May 13, 2015
    This is by way of supplementing the information to date on the 512BBi non-metric 17" wheels that Group 4 in the UK is manufacturing. The following message and depictions have been received. The email contact information is Jonathan at Group 4 Wheels: [email protected].

"In the attached photos you’ll see the dies for the 17” BBi wheels…at long last!

Wheels will be cast next week, machining, heat treatment and painting will then take place and I’ve been informed that they will be shipped to me during week 23 (1st - 7th June). I should be able to then get orders out towards the end of the following week.

I will be mailing out photos of the casting and machining process for you all to get excited about!

I’m very happy to now say that I am taking orders for these wheels, a set of 4 is £2000 plus shipping and VAT (where applicable). This price is for orders paid for in full before the wheels are sitting on my shelf, at which point, the retail price will be £2500 plus shipping and VAT.

We accept bank to bank transfers as well as credit and debit cards (Visa and Mastercard).

If interested, drop me an email with a postal address and contact number and I can let you know the cost of shipping."

18. ferraripete

please make the rears available in 10" width...please!!!!

19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Has anyone purchased a set of these yet, any initial feedback related to quality and look? How similar are they to the original?

Thanks,

20. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought a set but they are still in production, machining I was told. I liked the fact these look closer to oem than the rivetted that are on the market now.

21. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    I, too, bought a set plus one extra of each. I believe the first group in production are in the painting phase or about to be.

22. ferraripete

thank you for keeping us posted Jim.

23. SLOT RACER

SLOT RACER Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich A.
    #123 SLOT RACER, Jul 6, 2015
  24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes they would.

25. ferraripete

pretty wheels!!! they look very correct but do not appear to be clear coated like the factory. will the finished product have a clear coat?