Mang's Garage | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #1 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't wanna bore with too much 'story', but briefly been searching for just the right home like anyone else out there, especially after the real estate meltdown period that caught up with me too. Anyway, I stumbled onto the most AMAZING man-cave, garage mahal...I couldn't have dreamed up this place. Understand my home IS A GARAGE! It is the detached garage to a tiny cabin that was built on easily one of Lake Tahoe's most incredible lots/location back in 1949. It was the only undeveloped property in very prestigious (read; expensive) area of north shore Lake Tahoe - Brockway, CA. It is just one long and buffering 'block' up from the hwy, and the 'highest' home in Brockway. This is what it looked like 2 yrs ago. The 2nd photo is of the main tiny cabin,that luckily for me sits on its own lot. I acquired the garage with living quarters above, and the tiny cabin was also purchased by someone else and remodeled along with mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #2 Mang, May 1, 2013
  3. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Shoot me a pm if you see another one like it in Tahoe.

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #4 Mang, May 1, 2013
    In the first phase of the remodel....added a new deck and new roof to save this place....the reason it was worth saving is it had plans for a tear down and a newer 3 br, 2.5 ba, 2 car garage was gonna go right where my 'garage' is and the little 'main' cabin was gonna be torn down and disappear. I discovered that by shuffling some plumbing, etc. I could actually get three cars in the garage AS IS...it was a no brainer for a car guy bachelor like me to run with this place.....

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #5 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Next change on the outside was discarding those ratty steel manually lifted garage doors with these gorgeous 2 inch thick 'new' garage doors that fit perfectly....got em off Craigslist from Donna Summer's south shore estate....seems the owners wife wanted a two car garage to whisk into , so these came off and I 'stole' em and the transformation continued. Heavy duty electric lifts raise and lower these like a tomb!

In the background you can see what is becoming of that little cabin next door too. FYI it is owned by someone else, not mine.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #6 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Inside what a story....once I discovered the rodents had enjoyed years of trouble free living inside my thin walls, it quickly became a complete gutting and full remodel and I went all out...but one thing I have stuck to is NO major structural changes, just wanna "run with it" and improve things.....check it. Here is the before look....with replacement sink ready to replace the old blue!

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #7 Mang, May 1, 2013
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #8 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Tore it down to bare bones and started improving from the guts....new plumbing, electrical (surround sound, radiant below floor heating, wired to the hilt!)

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #9 Mang, May 1, 2013
    That upstairs bathroom became an amazing spa like fully tiled beauty! All beams are wrapped in hickory, tile is travertine thick heavy...the 'good' stuff that was gifted to me by close friends that happen to be one of the worlds greatest futbol players....reason I am sharing this, is this funky little garage/home of mine is filled with Tahoe celebrity connections and it all happened by chance...here it is nearly finished. It is set up to see a back view that takes your breath away...while showering. Floor is built up to slope and drain, heated below...

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #10 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Realize that the front view is an unobstructed nearly panoramic view of lovely Lake Tahoe. I am due north on the lake, looking toward the south. Sunrise to sunset directly in front of me year round.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #11 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Here is how it sits....national forest on all sides except to the east (the little cabin)...the bright in the photo is the lake...

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #12 Mang, May 1, 2013
    tickerhound likes this.
  13. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Positively stunning! Please post more!

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #14 Mang, May 1, 2013
    All new cabinets and then the granite countertops.....there were 5 slabs saved when the Henry Kaiser Yacht Club at prestigious Fleur de Lac was renovated. The caretaker saved em for 2 years and eventually offered em up, they worked perfectly! I was informed that several US presidents, and scores of famous corporate heads have put their drinks down on those slabs....now my kitchen counters! Got em for a song :). I am replacing the cabinet pulls with door pulls from vintage Alfa Romeo spiders, driving the alfa folks crazy :D

I will post photo when they are all there :)

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #15 Mang, May 1, 2013
    tickerhound likes this.
  16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

mike,

this is fantastic. that view has me grinning ear to ear!!!!! and I thought my view was good...my view has been trounced!!!

very happy for you. don't stop the posts!!!

pcb

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #17 Mang, May 1, 2013
    After spending a small fortune on so many unrewarding infrastructure projects, I decided to tackle the exterior and visioned a 'look'...I acquired a large lot of old reclaimed redwood siding that is like steel and has 'character'. One other cool thing we did was rummage the property and found old ant infested wood that we recycled into window surrounds, trim, etc....also pursued corrugated steel for garage siding...steel over concrete, 2 inch thick doors, this place is like a vault, perfect for my car obsession. we are still trimming garage surrounds, well lots of work still going on, but the 'look' is there! Found the front door at a garage sale....it is old school heavy, beautiful....GLASS, to see the lake!

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #18 Mang, May 1, 2013
    View with matching entry...gonna wrap the entry door up the stairs in rusted steel....gonna be cool, will update. This is where she sits right now, soon to be a one bedroom lake view, 3 car garage, pimp pad!

19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #19 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Inside the garage is currently a messy workshop, BUT eventually gonna be deep cleaned and acquired black, yellow, and white (f car owners take note!) floor tiles from a motorcycle showroom that went out of business....I have 3 times as much as I need and will make someone a deal for leftovers once my 'showroom' is set up.

steved033 likes this.
  20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #20 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Oh yeah, they did an awesome job with the little cabin next door too...we have now spruced up this street for sure. My cabin was put together with amazing quality materials, and I am not kidding, I have run around for a year now acquiring 90% recycled materials from Craigslist mainly! The corrugated steel was a gift, if I removed the pile of old wood on top of it in a roofers side yard. I am having the worlds most enjoyable remodel really, just in sync with my needs and available 'stuff'...been REAL rewarding.

Just wait until the garage/showroom is stuffed with cars and parts...I'm gonna faint! Ive lived in Tahoe for 21 years and never had a garage...my cars have been scattered all over the place all this time! Soon this will all change!

21. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is fantastic!

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    looks great, i'd love a place just like that! bravo!

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #23 Mang, May 1, 2013
    Thanks guys, I knew you'd like it :)
    It's a car guys dream home for sure. Still a fair amount to do, and forced to sit for a bit while my crew is on another project for a week more, then we resume...I will update with photos as it rolls...check the hang glider above....this is THE spot for thermals and they launch at the top of that steep grade up from me.

24. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Nicely Done!

Very enjoyable thread.

25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007