575M F1 Transmission | FerrariChat

575M F1 Transmission

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hainboka, Apr 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hainboka

hainboka Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    T.Y. Simon Kim
    My name is TY and I am a newbie to FerrariChat based in Seoul, Korea. Just acquired a silver with black interior 2004 575M with 20,000 km. It has the F1 transmission.

I know there has been a lot of threads on how to minimize the clutch wear on F1 transmission. However, could someone tell me what is the proper way to drive the car on manual mode in a stop and go traffic? And when the proper shifting needs to take place? Compared to my manual transmission car, it seems that I need to shift more often to higher gear. For example, I am almost on 4th gear driving at 60 km/h which is 40 mph. I would be very grateful if someone can advise me about the proper way to drive a F1 transmission in general but also stuck in the traffic jam.

Thank you.
    TY

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Not sure why 4th gear so soon - can you explain more ?

One very useful technique is not to crawl with the traffic but try to leave a gap then drive into it - in this way the clutch has the chance to fully engage

3. hainboka

hainboka Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    T.Y. Simon Kim
    It is probably because I am used to not reving the car and too quickly changing the gear. Usually I change gear before 3,000 rpm. Also, due to the massive torque of the car, the car seems to handle it just fine. I could be wrong not being very experienced in this sort of car. I had a Porsche 996 Tiptronics in the past which required very little input from me except my foot on the gas pedal.

On the bumper to bumper traffic in this city, it is almost impossible not to crawl. I give a space and other drivers cut in at a blink of an eye. It is truly stop and go. Any suggestion to handle this sort of traffic would be highly appreciated. Someone suggested driving in auto mode but I have read that this is the quickest way to wear out the clutch.

Thanks.

4. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    read that the clutch always slipping while using reverse in the F1, if so seems like that would be the thing to avoid

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Old wive's tale that the clutch slips continuously in reverse, it does not. Reverse is nearly as high as 2nd gear, so it takes a lot of slip to get going, but locks up just like any other gear. Tale promulgated by V8 guys, even though none of them slip continuously either. Uphill starts in reverse should be avoided like the plague, even using the uphill start mode, which really slips the clutch.

TY- Just drive it like a three pedal car missing the clutch pedal and you will be fine. Think about what you do with your three pedal car and do exactly the same thing with the F1. If you go to neutral with your three pedal when coming to a stop, do the same thing with the F1 system. If you downshift to 1st coming to a stop, do that with the F1 system, but do it yourself and do not let the system do it for you. If you put her in neutral and traffic starts moving, hit the downshift paddle and continue. The upshift paddle gets you too high a gear and the downshift paddle gets one gear lower.

Upshifts the same. Do it exactly like you do with a three pedal since you control when you upshift.

In general, drive her like a three pedal car and you will love her. Drive her like an automatic and you will be unhappy.

6. hainboka

hainboka Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    T.Y. Simon Kim
    Thanks, Taz! When reading similar advice before buying the car, I was not sure what it really meant. I think I understand now how the car should be driven. Obviously it requires a lot of practice but it will be an enjoyable learning.

BTW, is there an ideal range for shifting up? I read somewhere about 5,000 rpm and someone wrote above 4,000 rpm.

Similarly are there ideal speed for each gear? Especially 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

TY

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    TY- No, it all depends on how fast you want to go. If you are just puttering along, 3000 rpm is fine since she has 434 lb-ft of torque, almost as much as a 7 liter corvette. If in a hurry 7500 rpm is fine (fuel shut-off at 7600 rpm). Just drive it like any other car and shift at lower revs (3-4K) if not in a hurry and the hurrier you are, the higher the revs. Never go over 4K until you hit the third mark on the oil temperature gauge, which is the most important gauge on the instrument panel for a 575M.

8. hainboka

hainboka Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    T.Y. Simon Kim
    Roger that.

Apparently there is another 575M F1 in Black/Black for sale in Seoul. Asking KRW 110 million which is approx. US$100K. Serviced by the same autoshop. Perhaps it is 'Spring of 575s' in Seoul.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #9 tazandjan, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    MY car is 135175 which does not appear, instead 135174 even number last digit does
    my car does not have HGTC. How do we explain this other then the factory hasn't changed it's policy of assigning those who failed math to the Vin. department.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Source is people who send me their SN and AN and whether the car is an A. B, C, D, etc VIN and has FHP, HGTC and three pedals or F1. Is there a mistake on your car?

I think I see your problem now. Beginning at Serial Number 75000, Ferraris started using even and odd serial numbers. Before that, V12 and V8 Ferrari GTs used odd serial numbers and Dinos and competition cars used even serial numbers.

12. hainboka

hainboka Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    T.Y. Simon Kim
    Taz: I posted my pictures and then some at FL. Thanks. TY

13. shaikhzeep_212

shaikhzeep_212 Karting

Apr 13, 2006
    Saudi arabia
    Full Name:
    HAM
    Good day Taz,
    I am not new for ferrari chat.But i just bought this 575 M and i want to decode the VIN #
    ZFFBT55J000127863.Anything special.
    Thanks

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #14 tazandjan, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017