Solar Power Company Recommendations | FerrariChat

Solar Power Company Recommendations

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by fc2, Apr 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Guys,

We live in the Bay Area and we're getting serious about having a solar panel array installed on our property. We want a system that produces between 8-10Kw.

We're not interested in the Solar City type of deal... we want to own our panels and not work with anyone other than PG&E.

Have any of you had a system installed (that you own) by a company you'd recommend?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I can tell you IMHO Enphase microinverters are great. The fundamental design concept just blows daisy-chaining of panels away. With the daisy chain, one panel gets bird pooped, and the whole string puts out 27 watts :( Also, I've heard SANYO has the highest watt/size with great reliability. Costs more, so I went with REC. They seems to be cranking out the watts. Hope some of this helps.

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    On your property or on your roof? If you are installing on a roof, I have several clients that I bond and insure that I can recommend. Same if you want to install a solar array, but it may include some different contractors.

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    a lot of the newer panels and tech [mine are over five years old and had this feature] allow for shading etc. where that panel if it falls below a 'daisy-chain' concept will be either shut out of that drag down on current/voltage or take a different route to facilitate correct generation.

It is not a new concept and a good installer would have those features as part of a basic package as well as a good converter/inverter.

BTW: With the price of panels today, due to China dumping, the prices have gone [:(] down almost 80%. Ask me how I know. [but that is a good thing considering solar is now affordable] BTW: IF you are a business it's even less expensive!!!!

I must say, anyone in today's market would be a fool to pass up solar. I have NEVER paid for electricity in over five years except for the mandatory $8 required by law to 'use the supply infrastructure' [what a joke] It was such a good deal I even purchased a BOSCH on-demand hot water heater to gobble up remaining power and not 'natural' gas [which IMO is a disaster waiting to happen] albeit I fire up the barbie whenever F1 is on and burn up waaay over my share

6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Hi... not on our roof. Our house is south-facing and I don't want the panels on the front of the house. We have room for a decent-sized, ground array.

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Ground systems are great as in either an addition to a shaded area or extra carport.

They make up covered parking at Sonoma Valley schools. ALthough, ours are not in print yet, here are Fremont's similar attempt: Solar Energy Projects for K-12 Schools | RGS Energy

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I talked to Solar City and they really pushed the leasing deal instead of buying it out right. They stressed the high cost of maintenance as the reason for leasing.
    Not sure if there's more profit to SC by leasing.
    If I plan to have it for a long time, I rather buy it instead of renting it.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Hi cost of maintenance?

:)

10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    that's what the Solar City rep said.
    basically he said "you don't want to deal with the hassles of fixing and maintaining it as an owner. It's much better and cheaper to lease". Sounds like a sales pitch to me so I passed.
    Things have been a bit crazy at work and my plates are full so I put this solar panel things on the back burner for now. THen this thread popped up.

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Um. NO! zero maintenance unless replacing roof and I'll bet dollars to donut holes that is not a covered item in a SC lease either.

BTW: My panels have a 25year replacement warranty and guess what: BP has contacted ME to discuss some 'issues' all to be replaced for free.

Other than putting up wire about the edges for FEAKIN PIGEONS, I have zero issues or expense [unless you count the periodic washing system I put in to clean panels via my yard watering system]. what maintenance?

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    that's what I thought.
    damn salesman. I know they have to make a living but don't lie to me. I guess I have to do my own research.

13. Chrigel

Chrigel Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    I've had SolarCity for the last five years and I absolutely love it. I had $0 upfront fee and lease my 16 kWh system for around $400 a month.

Why would you want to spend (in my case) over $100k and not lease it?

Let me know if you want to see some numbers.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Many who can't stay in the car sales biz moved on to the next big thing.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

$400/month sounds heavy to me. That's a lot of E. BUT have no idea and don't know the terms of the lease

And unfortunately/fortunately in today's market buying is very low. Systems today seem to truly have a short, paid off period. Finite and gravy after that.

16. Chrigel

Chrigel Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    Would love to hear some current rates for a 16 kWh system for a 7500 sq.ft. home for 15 year lease with zero down.

How much is it to buy it? I know a company get's a bigger rebate from the state than a private person and that's why Solar City does so many leases.

The problem with buying is that this technology gets better and better and you are stuck with your old system. After 15 years I will get the top of the line for a fraction of the price.

But that's only my 2 cents. Do what's best for you and your wallet. As long as you do something.....

17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so the panels would have cost $100K to buy?
    Solar City quoted me something like $60K to buy out right based on our consumption of $400/month PG&E bill. I think he was expecting me to say that I don't have that much cash and so leasing is the way to go. I was doing calc in my head and that works out to be about 8% return - not too shabby. Tax-free to boot.
    So I told him it's more attractive to buy. Then the Solar City salesman told me that these panels break down "all the time" and as an owner I would have to pay for all the repair and maintenance.
    I have to talk to some more Solar Panel folks and get an idea of what to expect in term of leasing vs. owning.

18. lamar

lamar Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2004
    montpellier/france
    don't know what the prices are in the US but here in France, a small 9kWp is sold 24000 euros (31400 dollars + VAT) and it can deliver 13700 kWh a year.
    the salesman saying that the panels break down all the time ??? run we have the same ones in europe ready to say anything just to sell.
    Panels have a 25 years warranty, they will deliver 80% of nominal power output.
    Sharp revealed a study showing that panels still in service after 30 years are delivering 92% of the nominal power output.
    the only weak point can be the inverters (because it's electronic) but most manufacturers can give a warranty up to 20 years.
    you have an inverter company in Petaluma (CA) called Enphase Energy, the microinverters can provide 7 to 8% more electricity than usual inverters, even with a little higher price it can be interesting.
    the other thing to do sometimes is to clean the panels and for this you will use the monitoring of the system to see the decrease of the production.
    more and more often we meet people who want to pay less to the electricity companies as the prices go up (in France we will have a 50% increase of the electricity in the next 5 years) and ask for autoconsumption installation.
    to summarize, it's better to avoid all the companies that sell financials solution rather than the technical one.

19. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    9kWatts is a good size system. That price doesn't sound terrible. Do you get the rebates like the US offers. That usually eats 1/3 to 1/2 the total system cost.

The whole lease thing is such a personal money approach. if there's a way to write it off etc, like other equipment, I guess it makes sense. I personally like the idea of paying off the system and not needing to write checks for electricity. By the way, the cost of equip has gone down, and you get more watts per buck. My system was a 7 year break-even, but now, given what I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if that 7 year # drops to less than 5.

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Thank you. Will look into your recommendations when time to buy

21. lamar

lamar Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2004
    montpellier/france
    ok, just let me know and if i can help you with your decision (even if i don't know us market) i will

22. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Anyone in the Bay Area specialize in cleaning? Getting up on roof was tough without panels, and is now very difficult. Hard to find good ladder placement etc.

Thanks

23. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I like the micro inverter route too. Its nice in that it allows you to start small and then add panels later. One thing to keep in mind is that there's no guarantee Enphase will survive as a company. All that means is that 10 years from now you may not have replacement parts.

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    That is why I went with a very large firm. They contacted me recently on a recall issue and resolved nicely where their bond guarantee 25 years. Im quite certain they are too big to fail. :rolleyes: but what else is there to bank on?