The Restoration of -1963 Ferrari 250 GTE #4879 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Restoration of -1963 Ferrari 250 GTE #4879

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Martin M, Apr 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Martin,

Thank you for sharing your journey.

It is giving me inspiration to finish up the project and now have on the go and get started on 2553.

I have chosen Blu Pozzi for my car as well

I am looking forward to seeing more

Jamie

2. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    James, George, Jamie and all others... Thanks a lot! :)
    Tomorrow new pictures, good night!

Martin

3. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    What a treat this has been (and a great reminder not to attempt such a complicated undertaking myself)! I can't wait to see the final result. Cheers!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wonderful restoration!!

Please paint the Ferrari lettering, etc. on the camcovers as knowledgeable experts all over the world will be stressing over this detail. Should be painted black like the rest of the camcover.

Again great work.
    Pete

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Martin......This is the greatest post I have ever seen on FC. As has already been said, it is invaluable to anyone who owns or loves GTE's. I think you should try to publish an instruction manual with all these pictures. I am presuming that the car is now complete and can't wait to see the final result. Thank you. I see you are posting from Estonia....Are there many old Ferrari there ?

6. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Martin. Thank you again. You clearly know what you are doing.

Is this your first Ferrari and GTE restoration ?

Regards, Kim

7. Hogatoshagooarnie

Oct 16, 2009
    Uk
    A fantastically Indepth restoration, well done guys. Xxx

8. cooperati

cooperati Rookie

Feb 23, 2007
    Hi Martin

This is an excellent reference. With suspension arms plated, are these heat treated after process to avoid issues from embrittlement?

Thanks

Will

9. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Martin. A BIG THANK YOU for this thread. It is a pleasure to see these cars appreciated and not turned into GTO abominations. Great job. GTEs are great cars. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment driving it to Ferrari events all over Europe.

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yah!!! I agree big time. See post 38. Regarding Estonia you might be interested I sent a large envelope today to Kiev, capitol of the Ukrane, to a member of an auto club there who wanted early pictures of the original 0262 Abarth. Interest in Ferrari,thanks to the internet, now is every where even in countries that used to be behind the Iron Curtain. tongascrew

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Amazing post, amazing car and amazing color.

Best of luck!

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I noticed the new yellow braded fuel lines being used. Though looking original, there has been some discussion about the reaction of these fuel lines with the ethenol added fuels of today.Unless the plan for this car is a trailer gueen show car, I wonder if using these fuel lines is a good idea. Aparently it is OK if the car is driven regularly.If stored for any considerable time I believe these fuel lines need to be blown out before storage.There are other flexable fuel lines that can be used that do not have a problem with ethenol. tongascrew

13. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    Yes, the paint code is Blu Scuro.
    In Estonia we have only one more classic Ferrari it must be 365 2+2.

Big problem is plating in my country. We do not have cadium and siliuminium (door handles)
    plating technology thanks to EU standards (very toxic). And our plating company black oxide zinc is very low corrosion protection.
    They name it "tool protection black zinc" It lasts few month in outdoor environment and it starts to rust. So we were forced to use the plating technology what we had to choose.

So if you see zinc nut-bolt fasteners and chromed salva fuel fittings don't be startled because I am aware of that this is not correct.

This is the first Ferrari in our workshop. Regarding italian cars before GTE was '62 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider under work.

And now back to the programm :) ...

14. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    What would go wrong if not heat treated? thanks

15. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    Thanks! This was also in my mind, we got time to fix this after the whole big puzzle will be in one piece :)

16. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Brilliant job Martin,many 'restoration' shops could take note.

Pity re the plating situation,did you feel that outsourcing to another country was not an option re the originality of the car,paticularly due to it having to be done again in the future?

17. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    My god man, this is brilliant! What a beautiful series of photos. Yo know the Tom Yang site tomyang.net has 19 pages on horn trumpet colors, (hah!) and also a discussion on how Elring head gaskets are failure prone.

So you guys are a restoration shop in Estonia? I think you maybe getting some more work after this series. Congratulations!

18. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    #73 Martin M, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Simon, that was one of our plan when the car will be ready to erase bolts after one if possible (some do have complicated access) and send them correct plating. Will see what time brings.

Hi Yale! 19pages, nice :D I will look. Elring gaskets was the first parts what we bought when we started with the work. We did not know the failure problems and the story behind it on internet. Life teaches

Yes, we have "two man" restoration shop in Estonia. Before italian cars we have restored two british cars.

19. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    This is a Master Class of true restoration. Stunning workmanship. Thanks for sharing. John

20. Martin M

Martin M Karting

Nov 30, 2011
    Estonia
    Thank you John! :)