Bugatti Aerolithe | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Aerolithe

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by El Wayne, Sep 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    These have all become quite dicey words these days!
    Some will never agree to anything other than 'replica'.
    As I understand it, this exact car never existed before, so cannot be a 'replica' of anything.
    'Evocation' seems to allow too much 'interpretation'.
    'Recreation' is better, but still suggests that 'something' existed before?
    'Shining example' is good, but won't be considered 'enough' if it ever becomes a $$ issue.
    (assumedly not an issue for the gentleman who enabled this)
    I'm out of descriptive words to identify this car, other "mind-blowingly fabulous!!"
    Hope it comes to a venue in the west someday......Oxnard maybe?
    Thanks to all involved!

2. Aero coupe

Aero coupe Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    True enough that there will always be controversy over how the car is seen. As it is i think recreation is very fitting as the Aerolithe did exist in 1935 and partially into 1936 from the records that we have. It is also fitting as we used only period accurate materials in the build. I think this is the main thing that seperates a replica and a recreation. We could have replicated the seats using foam rubber and other inaccurate materials very easily but we recreated the seats us muslin bags stuffed with horse hair and then covered with genuine leather as it would have been in 1935. We carried this type of work throughout the project. If we wanted to simply replicate the Aerolithe we would have skinned it in aluminum rather than Elektron and really with a replica even aluminum would have made no difference fiberglass could have been used so long as it replicated the contours and look of the original.
    At any rate i have to thank you on behalf of the entire Guild staff for your compliment. It's nice to see people appreciating all our hard work and i hope that you all get to see the car in person soon. Its debut fate has not yet been decided but i'll keep you informed once something has been determined for sure.

Thanks again

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Let me add my thanks.

There is much gained from a project like this. The research into the original lost car, the rediscovery of old techniques and teaching skills useful in authentic restorations.
    The only potential downsides would be if the car were to be represented as something that it isn't or if other restorable cars were canibalized. Neither seem to be the case here.

4. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Ah, Proper English - In a recently held linguistic competition held in London, England, The final question was: How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand. Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED. Here is the winning answer: When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED.
    And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED.

Someday, someone, through an ''investor broker'' or an expert that has never owned a Bugatti will pay the wrong price for it. Then the tears will flow because of the differances in the interpretation.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    May I simply and politely ask what in the hell you are talking about?

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    James; maybe he's obliquely referencing my search for appropriate terminology above, when he posts "...differances (sic) in interpretation."

Nonetheless, an enjoyable aphorism prior....

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Certainly, and one step further you arrive at the Jaguar XK 120 FHC. All of them really beautiful automobiles.

Stupid question if I may, without doing any research, what was the difference between the Atlantic and Aerolithe?

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Ooops, never mind the question!

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have seen in documentaries about WWII in America that there were big scrap drives in the US for metals (particularly aluminum) but I would think that as soon as the Germans over-ran France, they had lists of things to grab for research and a magnesium car body would seem likely to be of interest, as they could then see how this lighter stronger metal could be used for airplane cowlings, missile fuselages and the like in place of aluminum. I suppose it would take someone who read WWII histories in German to know if metalwork in magnesium was of interest to them or if they crowed about finding these magnesium bodies in France (as they found heavy water research in Norway) . I don't know enough about WWII planes to know which ones had partial magnesium bodywork.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There's an article on the car in the recent Octane magazine.

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Bitzman, not sure if I really understand your question but Germany was an extremely advanced industrial state at the outbreak of war. I believe magnesium was already widely used in their aircraft.

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #37 JeremyJon, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    true, and i'm not sure if applies to this (these) cars specifically, but many valuable cars were hidden very well & away to prevent being pilfered by the war
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That issue of Octane is available now in Canada.
    Very interesting story! Though Dino got the cover, not the Bugatti!
    CH

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    dang, I've looked at three different stores now and no copies?!

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #40 of2worlds, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Aero coupe

Aero coupe Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    The Aerolithe recreation has made its international debut and is currently being exhibited at the Kuwait City Automotive History Museum for the next several months.

17. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I've just had a crisis...

18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    How was the decision made to fit whitewall tires?

Best,

Jack.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Go back to the 1935 Paris Salon......(or Post #1 pix)

20. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Thanks, that totally escaped me.

If I may: It distracts a bunch of the pure styling of the car. The later photos show it with black tires, IMO a much better choice. Just my opinion, but it bothers me somehow.

Beautiful car and quite an accomplishment.

Best,

Jack.

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not as distracting as the background they're using.

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    My vote stays with the wide whites......it's all about 'stylin'.....not racin'

23. Aero coupe

Aero coupe Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    The background is actually really interesting because it is a blown up representation of the painting that was done of the Aerolithe in 1936 and given to Jean Bugatti. It was to give the illusion of the real car being in the painting but the photos don't do it justice. As for the whitewalls these are exact replica's of the Dunlop Fort 90 tyres that the original Aerolithe sat on in 1935 when it debuted at the Paris Salon. I have seen it both with and without the whitewalls and it really looks as though it is missing something without them.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the context. The background seems to be too small to make the effect work.
    Nifty idea though.