The best TR recreation ever | FerrariChat

The best TR recreation ever

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Enigma Racing, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    "Removable Factory hard top - a feature originally planned for all these cars."

"Widely regarded as an original car."

??????

2. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    The sales speak is hilarious !

Interesting thought though. A Testarossa that could run in the GT class

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That photo is from The FOS so I guess you could run it there.

4. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    A regular competitor at FOS and the major retrospective events

The hard top was a styling excercise by Neil Twyman. It is hinged to permit access and surprisingly comfortable. But it did make me think if this would have been a creditable alternative to the TDF in the late 50's. Quicker vs reliability.

Kim

5. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Right hand drive and road registered... :)

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I wish they had more photos of it without that hideous "hardtop" on it. That thing looks stupid.

But the rest of the car looks pretty good to me from what you can tell. Amazing they thought pictures of that hardtop would add to the allure of this car. Its sort of sad when folks selling something like this are so incredibly clueless.

Terry

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    hence my problem with all these cars. What does that even mean? That they managed to deceive most people?

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Maybe it was poorly written to mean "Looks like an original car" which it does pretty well.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think "a feature originally planned for all these cars" is an insult to any intelligent reader.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. But i think i like it with the hard top.

11. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    This THING was written up in the UK publication Classic and Sports Car about a year and a half or so ago. Some retired rugby player had this crime (gutting another classic)
    committed on his behalf.

12. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Rubbish. Nothing gutted as built from scratch by Neil Twyman for his own use using spares.

Chaos likes this.
  13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Far from original but its a great car. One needs to see it to appreciate.....Problem is that it has a fallen into the wrong hands.....Now being retailed by a guy who sells second hand Jaguars in Essex....

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Morning Paul. Up for the Grand Prix ?

Mr Hood speaks very highly of you and he's already sold it. Allegedly for a seven figure sum

16. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Not going to give away the result but sincerely wish I was still in bed !! Don't doubt its sold but the add copy does the car no favours........ As said, its a great car and a huge credit to Neil but nobody in their right mind would ever think it original.......

17. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    In fairness the advert does not suggested it is original.

Not having a TR chassis or engine number is always going to be a bit of a give away !

18. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    makes the right noises too

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCrgfUYOsQ]'57 Ferrari Testa Rossa 250 pontoon start-up - ITALIAN MOTOR magazine - YouTube[/ame]

19. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  20. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    It beats using your hands to manually choke the carbs thats for sure!

21. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    ......and it allows you to smoke at the same time

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Beg to differ; "All mechanical and electrical components are Ferrari Testa Rossa originals: original specification chassis, original works 4 bolt engine, and the car was road registered in 2005 on original 250 chassis number." That seems to me to be more than a "suggestion."

I don't know where to start; all mechanical components are TR originals? I thought it was established in previous threads that the engine and many parts are from 250 GTE 2349, yes? So not an "original works 4 bolt engine"? Exactly what parts came from an "original" TR? Tach needle? Which TR? So does this car carry telaio #2349? Was the chassis fabricated by Mr. Twyman, or is it from 2349 and modified? Where does Mr. Twyman's "built from scratch" begin and 2349 end? Let's be specific and get to the truth.

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Valid questions but a short answer as I prefer not to go into detail.

The advert makes some outrageous claims that in my opinion are rather misleading. However, I will say that this car is not the usual GTE conversion and does not use as 'many parts from GTE 2349" as is suggested. Neil Twyman has restored a number of original TR's (including my favourite 0704) owns many original items acquired over many years and knows what he is doing.

Before all of the sales hype was added, this was Neil's personal car, well respected and campaigned all over Europe including Goodwood. The car was always correctly described as a "recreation" and will never be anything else.

My point was that despite all of the sales fluff, the dealer wisely does not claim to be selling an original TR. Any buyer with at least one brain cell, spending the money involved, would not be fooled by the sales patter. They only need to check the numbers to see what the car is. An excellent recreation of an iconic car.

Kim