Thinking about looking for a 275GTS | FerrariChat

Thinking about looking for a 275GTS

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by jcavalie, Mar 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello Vintage Enthusiasts -

I'm looking for a little advice. I previously owned a 1999 360 Modena and I currently own a 2007 F430 and a 2010 California GT. Given my driving pattern the last couple years, I'm seriously considering selling both my "modern" Ferraris and pursuing a 1960s 275GTS. I don't want a show car. I want a well-running, decent looking, driver that I can run from the Bay Area up to Lake Tahoe for the summers.

I'm just not entirely sure where or how to start my search. FoSV is starting a classics program, but it sounds like they are focusing on Classiche program cars (I don't personally, care - I want a driver, not a show car). Fantasy Junction is also nearby and I may also put out feelers with them.

But I've never bought a vintage car of any variety so I'm looking for any advice as I start this process.

And yes - I'm aware prices have been running up, so I'm more interested in advice about the cars than the prices, though both are of interest.

Thanks in advance!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #2 amenasce, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    anamera.com
    classicdriver.com
    hemmings.com
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/
    http://forsale.classicandperformancecar.com/

I see 2 for sale in the UK (although both vendors move their inventory very fast so the ads might be outdated already). Both cars seem to be in superb condition so they might not be what you want.

I believe the current market is around $1m.

Also talk to Bill Noon at symbolic.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Talacrest and DK Engineering in the UK have sold quite a few of these including very recently so you may want to contact them. Simon Kidston sold a lovely yellow one recently too. As suggested by Andrew above, get in touch with Bill Noon at Symbolic.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Do your own research. I would subscribe to Ferrari Market Letter and join the FCA. Advertise in both, make it clear that you are a private individual and prefer to buy a driver quality car with good history/maintenance. Also get a copy of Original Ferrari V12 by Keith Bluemel.

6. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    Ask Michael Sheehan he has a lot of experiences with these cars.

Hope you will have a good luck for nice highly original 275 GTS.

7. BluGTS

BluGTS Karting

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    BLU GTS
    The Black and Tan car at DK sold for £800,000 -$1,200,000.

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there were only about 200 275 GTS built, you might also consider adding 330 GTS to your search, they only built 100 330GTS... increasing your search by 50% more vehicles and chasing similar money and similar car... 300 cars is a tight market especially when compared to what they are currently producing

9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I second Bill Noon.
    He's very knowledgeable on vintage Ferraris and on top of the market

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    330 GTS at Talacrest. See here: Ferrari 330 GTS - For Sale At Talacrest

11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Thank John B... Our 275GTS is sold and none coming our way for the moment but much appreciated anyway!

Ciao,

Bill

12. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Place a WANTED add in appropriate places ..auto week,sportscar market ,Hemmings Ferrari market letter etc, let Them come to You! You WILL get all the brokers calling AND you May also shake an owner out of the bushes that does not like to list his car for sale and put up with all the strokers...if your patient this works well just take your time and wait for the right car..Chuck

13. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for all your advice and for those who've contacted me offline since this post. I'm confident that if I'm patient the right car will eventually appear.

I did speak to Talacrest a few weeks ago and their 275s are sold. The 330gts was still available, but I prefer the 275gts.

Symbolic and Fantasy Junction are definitely on my radar. And I'll reach out to Michael Sheehan also - he was very helpful to me 18 months ago when I was considering purchasing a friend's "project" 250 Ellena - which turned out to be too big a project for a car I wasn't in love with.

Not sure I'm the auction type. I'd rather wait and see if I can find one and make the sale happen relatively quietly.

PPI - yes. Will do. Assuming I eventually find a car, I may need advice on a person to do the PPI wherever the car happens to be, but we'll cross that bridge then.

FML - I'll reactivate my subscription. I had let it lapse. Good call. FoA - yes - I should join that. One of those things I've just never gotten around to.

All the best and keep the info coming. Despite primarily lurking here, I love this community. I've learned a ton over the years!

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just like so many on this thread, I don't have advise for your request regarding these specific cars (275/330 GTS) themselves, but as for the process in general I have couple I'd like to offer.

First, I'd like to second the advise of "375+", do your own research (try to contact long term owners, etc. ?) and take your time.

Too many first time vintage car buyers/owners end up getting soured by their experience when they rush into it.
    So, if you really wish to make a long term commitment, expect to spend months or perhaps even years to find a right car for yourself, because no matter what type or price range vintage car one is looking for, there are always examples that may not be right for them and too often this doesn't come evident until it's too late.
    This is where my final advise comes in: Once you've (eventually ?) found the car you think might wish to buy, hire a best-you-can-find, (hopefully ?) unbiased make and model experienced vintage car mechanic or restorer to give it a thorough inspection. Smartest money you can spend on a vintage car.

And perhaps at least initially stay away from auctions and such. Too much hype and pressure for inexperienced buyer.

Timo

15. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    There was a beautiful 275 GTS at Amelia --Goodings auction.

Great car--probably 95+ point car--sold for around $1.1 Million.

A 330 convertible today would be over this price--for a very good car.

Prices seem to be on the increase for these cars--if you see a good one, I would suggest getting a solid PPI & go forward

Keep us posted on the hunt.

Ken Goldman

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I haven't seen this suggested yet, and apologies if you're been there/done that, but if you're going from a modern car to a vintage car you'll want to drive or at a very minimum go for a ride in one of whatever you're buying.

I love the vintage (Porsche) experience, but it's a far cry from jumping into an F430 or 911.

18. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agreed that I need to do this! I've been in vintage cars like 1960s Ford Mustangs, but not in a 1960s Ferrari. Oldest Ferrari I've been in is a 1970s 308.

Good advice though! As I'm at the front end of this process, I have a lot of "to-dos"!

19. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    There is a lovely black one in residence at Classic Coach in NJ, it would be worth ringing up Carlos to inquire.

20. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Will do. Thx.

21. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i believe their values will continue to climb toward $2mn mark. Open top 60's vintage ferraris are quite rare, so compare to the $11mn californias these are quite a good value.

but them i'm quite bias if you caught my avatar.

22. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks! Like the avatar!

23. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the 275gtbs are quite common (over 600 made) compare to a 275gts which are much rarer given only 200 made.

They are much more compact in person than in the pics. the porportions are perfect for a drivers car and they drive great.

the 250 series convs do not drive as well as the 275gts.

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
  25. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Not a 275 GTS, but a very nice looking 330 GTS is comming up at the Don Davis collection auction by RM April 27th. There are actually a LOT of very interesting cars in the collection, all being sold without reserve.

1967 Ferrari 330 GTS by Pininfarina | The Don Davis Collection 2013 | RM AUCTIONS

Also...
    (2) 300 SLs
    Gullwing
    365/GTB/4 Spyder
    365 GTB/4 Coupe
    '73 911 Carrera RS
    '58 Speedster
    (4) other 356's Coupes & Cab's
    Porsche 959
    (2) 289 Cobras
    BMW M1
    BMW 3.0 CS