Can you tow a 308 QV with a tow dolly? | FerrariChat

Can you tow a 308 QV with a tow dolly?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1Evil4re, Mar 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    My car blew a radiator hose on Saturday while out for a drive. I was able to get it to my work where it is in a secured garage. I don't want to work on it at my job so I need to get it home. I would rather pay $50 to rent a tow dolly if I can use it without messing something up. I would have to put the front wheels on the dolly because if I put the rear wheels, the front spoiler will drag. Any ideas on whether I can do this?

2. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I don't know about a Tow Dolly, but I rented a "car hauler" trailer at U-Haul for my Mondial and it worked fine. I used some scrap boards to add a little more slope to the ramps so that my front spoiler wouldn't scrape. I told U-Haul that I was going to tow a Ford Mustang. (Don't tell them its for a Ferrari.) I think that the cost was under $100 for the day.

Good Luck!

3. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    That's the way to go. I've tried moving cars with the U-haul full car trailer and with a tow dolly, and the trailer is easier to control, doesn't spin the rear wheels and tranny, is much happier dealing with bumps in the road.... And doesn't cost a whole lot more for a day's rental.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If you rent a U-haul trailer, just be careful with the rails on some of their trailers. They have a raised rail on the inside to keep people from driving a wheel off. That rail may be too high for your front spoiler, especially if you have a low one. I know someone who tore off the lower wind deflector on a Corvette Z06 on one of those trailers. Just make sure you clear those center rails before you drive up onto it or you might be in for a big surprise.

Otherwise, definitely go with a trailer over the wheel caddy.

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I would look in to getting a AAA membership. Got stranded once with a broken belt. Called AAA for a tow home. The membership (1yr) plus package and the tow (across state lines, non-member at the time of the call, etc) came to around $100. Plus they will use a flat bed tilt trailer. Have had to use them a couple other times since.

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    A uhaul trailer is not recommended for the 308 It can fit but I noticed it will scrape the bottom of the car if the angle isn't right.

See if someone local to you can do it with a flat bed and see what the price is, Also look around for small trailer dealers they might have a good car hauler for rent I found one local to me that was $50 for the weekend and that BLEW the uhaul POS out of the water, tilt bed, winch the whole bit.

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    + a lot. Those U-haul trailers will NOT work for our cars and especially your Koenig - don't do it! Those inner rails are far too high. However I wouldn't get a dolly either. Check on renting a flat trailer from a trailer shop - might be a bit more, but worth it.

Also AAA isn't a bad idea, but you must be sure they send the right truck with ramp extensions. Otherwise you'll be scraping and I know you don't want that.

8. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I've used one for my GT4, but it would by very close for working with my 328 due to clearance issues.

A AAA-plus membership gets you 100 miles of towing several times per year. I actually used it when I bought my GT4 years ago to get it 50 miles home without going through the hassle of actually hooking a trailer and towing it. Technically, you're not really supposed to do that, but the tow company didn't care.

9. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    No. You can not tow it on the dolly without scraping badly to get it on. If you reverse on what is going to keep the front wheels from moving around and getting out of control? You use the dolly with the front wheels on the trailer.

10. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    #10 1Evil4re, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys!! You saved me the hassle of renting a dolly and it not working and then still being stuck with the bill. I may just put it on a flatbed wrecker but the last time I did that it took about an hour to load as it wouldn't make it up the incline of the flatbed. We had to fabricate ramps to 'ease' it up the incline. As you can see from the picture, I definitely have clearance issues. Thanks again for everyone's input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any members in the area with a race trailer looking to help out? You never know.

12. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I tow mine fairly often on my car trailer, I have 10 foot long ramps and never drag or scrape anything.

The biggest hassel on most trailers is getting out of a car that has low doors. I usually crawl out of the top.

13. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Good news about getting your car home. (Or to the mechanic.) Beautiful car, by the way!

14. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    No the poor thing is still sitting in the lower level of my work's parking garage. I plan on taking the right rear wheel off and then the wheel liner. I need to find out if I can fix it before having it towed. No sense in having it towed home, figure out I can't fix it, and then have to get it towed to the mechanic. I just have to wait till all the "bosses" go home. They frown on being a "grease monkey" while at the the work place. Thanks for the compliment. All the purists dislike the Koenig 308's.

15. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    A flat bed should not be a problem but you may need to extend the ramp a couple feet. A couple of 2 x8s or 2x10s spiked together works great.

Even better, offset the end that goes by the flatbed to be a few inches rearward and have the flatbed rest on the lower 2x10. This prevents it from moving forward. Then slope the other end at an angle. You should clear everything just fine.

16. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    My Hagerty policy includes towing, used it once, very worthwhile. Something to consider. BTW, any relation to Kent Prather of MGA racing fame?

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 miketuason, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Not that I know of. It is not a very common name so he may be a distant relative.

19. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike,
    What did you do? Crawl out of the window? The fenders on the trailer look too high to open the door.

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #20 miketuason, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Yes, I took the targa top off, rolled window down enough for my hand to go through, climbed out, placed the targa top on, and latched it.

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #21 phrogs, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    A U haul is doable but even they do not have the 308 as a towable car in their system.

In order to not scrape the bottom of the car, I had to raise the tongue on the trailer so the angle was right. I didn't have anything at the time to make longer ramps.

I have used the u haul twice for my car.

With the Euro front end be careful on a u haul the center of the trailer has some 45degree slats of metal that can get caught on the spoiler I know I did it.