Miata maintenance help. | FerrariChat

Miata maintenance help.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by texasmr2, Feb 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    My situation is that my Miata has had all the parts to fix my issues for over 5 months yet I do not have all the tools needed nor a lift. I will make a short list of what my issues are plus two items I would love to take care of.

1. Rear shocks are blown but I have replacement shocks and springs (Eibachs).
    2. Front shocks are ok but want to replace the springs (Eibachs).
    3. The right rear wheel bearing is blown but I have a new one with seal but I will need a press.
    4. I have had Redline tranny and differential fluids in my trunk for over a year and want to replace them aswell.
    5. For the second time I have a rear exhaust weld break and need to put a HEAVY DUTY weld on it.

At this time I cannot offer anything monetary but I can do all the work myself and can atleast buy lunch or envite you over for a steak dinner. If anyone can help with any of these issues I will be forever in your debt.

It does not hurt to ask, right?

Thanks in advance,
    Tater

ps, Just drop me a pm if you can and are willing to help.

2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The reason I made that post was simply because the person/Fchat member who was going to help me is so busy I did not want to be disrespectfull towards him and I did not want to impede upon his free time. I spoke with him earlier today though and we are hoping this Sunday we will get the shocks/springs and bearing done which are my main issues, the fluid change can wait.

Slowly but surely my Miata will once again FEEL like a Miata :D. Now if I could get another 200+rwhp I would be a happy camper.

All the best,
    Gregg

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hey Gregg,

Have you looked into one of these? I am thinking about getting one for my Miata.

Just for the fuel mileage of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not the HP increase...........well, maybe..

MAZDA MIATA GF Peformance Chip

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    James,
    I do not mess around with that sorta stuff but thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I am just wanting to get my H&R springs and new rear shocks and R/R wheel bearing replaced. It has been atleast a 6 month process/wait yet I am getting the help at no cost, friends are great, but our schedules are kinda crazy and take time to come together ie "Patience Grasshopper". :)

I think we may actually get these task accomplished this weekend. Now I need to purge the clutch as I have a lot of play, about 2-3 inches before engagement, but the clutch, disc-pressure plate, is fine. Almost 100K and no major issues and still :D !!!
    Gregg

5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You mentioned you would like to get another 200 hp at the rear wheels. This is only about 60 hp more but it is cheap and appears to be relatively easy to do and should not mess up or overstress anything.....

Let me know how the Eibachs work for you......

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have had Eibachs before as well as H&Rs and I'm sure I will love them. I'm trying to get the date for this weekend and I'll give you some feedback, what generation do you have? Mine is a '99 NB.

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    It is a veteran.........'91 model. Someone vandalized it and I am now going to have to purchase a new top for it. Poked holes in the fabric top and made two 18-22 inch slashes in the plastic rear window.

I bought it several years ago just to have a toy to play with. New top is next, then some exhaust mods. I also will be doing the shocks/struts. Need to get the seats reupholstered and it could stand a paint job to freshen it up. It is a lot of fun to drive and was relatively inexpensive to obtain and maintain......

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #8 texasmr2, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #9 texasmr2, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    Man it's always something!!

I finally coordinated plans to get this work done this morning after work and my clutch say's "See ya fool" at 2am on 1960 and about 5 miles from my post/job (late night munchie run), wake the boss up at 2am and let him know whats happening, no problem. Here is were it gets good, wait for it..........I also get informed that this particular account is on HOLD and he has no other permanent positions for me so I am on standby for atleast one month.

I need to find a REAL JOB so I can pay for this carra!

10. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Gregg, FYI regarding #3, replacement of rear wheel bearings, you may need a 3 jaw puller to separate the hub assembly from the axle shaft. An overnight soak with PB Blaster and the 3 jaw puller will make the job really easy. Did wheel bearing on all 4 corners of my (former) Miata autocross car last summer.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Greg,
    Thank you for that info as it helps ALOT!

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #12 texasmr2, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    So the stars finally aligned and I meet 512BLU at his hanger. I pull the car onto the lift and then I remove all 8 nuts on the top of the shocks, easy peazy. Then I remove the original OE rear shocks and install the Eibach springs on my low mileage used stock shocks, easy peazy. I then remove the right rear hub assembly because that is the hub with the blown wheel bearing and then we press out the spindle but we cannot get the old bearing out and we beat the hell out of it! So while 512BLU and his friend, who is a Ferrari mechanic, battle the "Bearing from Hell", I re-install the left rear shock assembly and tighten everything up, easy peazy.

I then move to the front shocks and get everything unbuckled but we could not get the A-arm's to go down enough to get the shocks out as the main stud on top is to long. So I could not install the front Eibach springs. It looks as if I must buy a new/used hub assembly "Wam Bam Thank You Mam"!!

I forgot how much I enjoyed working on cars.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #13 texasmr2, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Cars are FUNKY!!

After I performed this maintenance I still had issues, although it was an improvement, so about 4 weeks ago I sweated my butt off at 7AM and installed the KYB's w/H&R springs, WRONG! The bottoming out issue just got worse and worse too the point that I did not want to drive the car. So this morning I replaced the left/rear strut assembly with one of the used stock struts and the issue has been temporarily resolved and is 95% better. Tomorrow I will replace the R/R KYB with the other stock strut that also has the Eibach on it. I did get lucky because I did not mark the struts, left/right, that I removed so I got lucky.

All this work has not been for naught though as I can now replace both sides in one less than 2 hours. Today I said "screw it" so I ordered brand new struts along with all new bushings and I did not forget the 'bump stops' this time ;). Eventually it will feel and drive like a Miata should feel and drive.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Check with ProAm they offer some nice shocks for a good price.

Mounting a set for my TransAm

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #16 texasmr2, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for the lead brother but I have already purchased everything. Dang 'bump stops' cost me $65 shipped ($15 shipping from CO for just a .3lb package) :eek: but I know now that they were the major ingredient missing in my recipe. I was concerned not only for safety/handling aspects but I may be truckin' back and forth to Baytown soon (hopefully) and that is a 140 mile round trip. The next maintenance I need to get done is changing my trans/diff fluids, $75 worth of 'Red Line' products have been sitting in my trunk for almost 2yrs. :(

Once I get these issues resolved I will have more "white knuckled" passengers!! :p

My car and I are one ie "A work in progress"! :D

Touch base when you get a chance ok?

Best,
    Gregg

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Things did not go as planned when I wrote the last reply but I now actually have possession of the new rear struts and both rear mounting kits. So this weekends "to do list" is changing out the complete rear strut and bushing assembly and a brake pad replacement, just gotta find a spring compressor that is local since I will be in Conroe.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #18 texasmr2, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    I finally replaced those rear struts along with new rear brake pads today and man what a difference it made. It still has some suspension issues but they are very minor for a car that is almost 15yrs old.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    "As the World Turn's"!!:D

Just picked up a new clutch slave cylinder and a Miata buddy is GIVING ME a ACT 6-puck clutch, disc and pressure plate, for FREE!! Some may say it is overkill or I will not like it but I am very familiar with this type of clutch as I had a RPS 6-puck clutch on my SC300. The first few miles were either stalls or smokey launch's but then it became 2nd nature. I am a proponent of overbuilding in preparation for future upgrades.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Future maintenance needs and upgrades will consist of...

1. New front shocks w/Flyin' Miata bump stops, new 'top hat' bushings and Eibach springs (which I already have).
    2. Flyin' Miata 'braided s/s clutch line'.
    3. Flyin' Miata 'braided s/s brake lines.

Once I complete those upgrades I will then focus on upgrading the sway bars and bushing and then focus on piecing together the turbo kit, should be fun yet a long process.

21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I don't understand the purpose of this thread. 20 posts, 15 are from the OP. Make that 21 posts.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #22 texasmr2, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Jim,
    The intent is simply based upon my Miata journey and wanting to share said journey, nothing more, and I was under the impression that this is a car forum?