330 GTC MARKET VALUE | Page 4 | FerrariChat

330 GTC MARKET VALUE

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by geno berns, Feb 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Lots of good ideas. I decided to hold my breath and sit on my GTC over the weekend. Monday morning I'll be glued to the GoodingEx and RMEx. This day trading is pretty stressful. Wish I had time to go for a drive.

2. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'd sell my 365GTC for $1mm. I'm not too paranoid to drive it now, but after another 50% move, it would be hard to enjoy it (for me) given the value and a certain amount of fear. I know this goes against a lot of forum "advice" on this topic, but I would just be too nervous at that point to enjoy it, even insured.

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #78 John B, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looking a little toppy, 34% above the 252 day moving average...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, you're good.

Dale

5. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Holly Macaronis! Toppy is right. I am shorting this puppy now! Hedging: 50% w/Gold Futures & 50% September Silver! Cha-ching!

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Glad I'm out, way too volatile for old man like me.....+ I don't trust Bernake

8. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    The only way I'm "out" is out driving my GTC today....65 degrees in TX!

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1!!! :)

Onno

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    volitility / lots of price action is good if there is a spread on, there are profits to be made whether the market goes up or down as there is insurance to protect the purchase price

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The estimate for the #10007 GTC at RM seems low given the recent run of prices. They have it estimated at $390k to $450k -- seems likely it will go for much more than this (especially with the James Bond serial number :)).

1967 Ferrari 330 GTC | Amelia Island 2013 | RM AUCTIONS

12. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    The red color will hold it back, these look much better in period correct metallics rather than resale red that first time buyers

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The car has been repainted in burgundy and the black interior replaced with tan since the pics were taken. See the addendum at the bottom of RM's description.

14. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    #89 azfast1, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A friend just temporarily bought chassis #9943 from Jose at Driversource in Houston for around $425K. I say temporarily because it was advertised as "all cylinders have excellent compression" and after getting it to Arizona, it smoked out the neighborhood. After a compression test, it revealed 60 lbs of pressure in the # 11 cylinder. It was returned with my friend eating the shipping cost. I heard from the trucker it was on its way to Gullwing Motors in N.Y. It also had badly scratched rear glass and badly scratched drivers vent window, very ill fitting rt. door window frame to the piller and belt moulding, and bent dash trim on the rt side. The car was originally blue, and was now red.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    It seems very strange to photograph the car for auction then repaint it and re-do the interior in different colors just before the auction. There must be an interesting story behind that. Was it put back to original colors perhaps?

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Wow, NOT cool. One more reason why you need to put eye balls on a car before you wire money.

17. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    At $425K based on the recent prices it would be worth it to get the repair work done for $20-$30K and have a nice car. Maybe get the dealer to pay for some of the work...

Geno

18. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    20 or 30 would straighten out the body and glass and interior, then you have the fun of the motor! $$$$

19. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    "badly scratched rear glass and badly scratched drivers vent window, very ill fitting rt. door window frame to the piller and belt moulding, and bent dash trim " = $20-30K? I don't think so! Maybe $5-$10K max. The engine may not need to be fully rebuild. May be a head issue not rings, so $10-$12K to do the upper end. The owner was obviously not expecting a needy car so it's understandable. I am just comparing what excellent cars have brought as of late and at $425K in this crazy market it makes sense to do the repairs.

Geno

20. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I am happy to see that people are starting to realize that vintage Ferrari are not bought like oranges. There is a lot of due diligence to be done and this is part of the fun of collecting vs just investing.
    Clearly this is a case for full restoration and any remedial work will just hide the real defects that will be apparent to the cognoscenti.
    Incidentally I have pretty much rebuild all the engines of the F cars I have had ,,and we are talking of double digits here, as if you use cars on real road or track events this is the only way to know what you have.
    On bodywork the same, I don't believe since a long time into part restoration and for me full restoration and bare metal respray means each and every piece of the car is taken out and no paint whatsoever left on the body inside or outside.
    I see so many restorations where outside paint is taken out but the inside of the car stays in place as well as engine in the engine bay and no new wiring, we all know this is a different standard. At some point this will show.

21. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    If you can do all of those repairs including returning the car to its original blue for your price, I'm going to start sending you all of my work! Plus, when was the last time you saw smoke billowing out the exhaust from a head gasket? I have not even mentioned the sagging front suspension, that makes the front tires rub the fender wells while turning!

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    There was no mention of gasket. Worn valve guides may result in extensive smoke.

23. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Where are you taking your cars? Motion Products? Fine shop, but every time you sneeze boku $$$ are due at that place! I never promised a full re-spray for the $20-30K. Tires rubbing on the fender wells due to a sagging front suspension? Woopsy do, new springs will solve that problem. A valve issue or valve seals as Kare stated can be causing the smoking or some thing more serious like worn piston rings. Easy to tell by doing a leak down test, etc... Either way, may be worth while fixing especially if the dealer is willing to participate. Seems like a reasonable price based on what we've seen as of late. If the car is just all bad every where you look, than that's a different story...

24. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    I think you missed the fact that one cylinder has 60 lbs of pressure, the rest were all fine. I didn't really go into a lot of detail as it has one bad cylinder, most likely a piston or ring problem. I have photos showing the left side exhaust tips dripping with oil, the right side perfect.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The car is now being offered for sale by Gullwing @ $415K, with disclosure regarding the low compression in one cylinder: