Age limits for private pilots license | FerrariChat

Age limits for private pilots license

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Feb 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I have looked for but cannot find anything about the age limit for getting a private pilots license. I started taking lessons about 30 years ago but was told I could not get a license then because I had diabetes and diabetics could not get them. Now I am told that a diabetic can get a private pilots license as long as I can pass the flight physical. I am planning on going out to a local airport and talk to the FBO there about the flying lessons they offer but cannot go for a few days. Just thought I would like to go out there at least armed with some information on whether I can get a license at 65. Anyone know?

Getting the private pilots license is on my bucket list.......

2. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    There is no upper age limit but there is one huge issue with your medical.

If you apply for a medical and are denied then you are not eligible for an LSA license. This is something which many organizations are trying to fix.

So if you want to fly with a third class medical only then it would not matter as a fail is a fail. But if you wanted to still try for LSA a failed exam would crush that opportunity.

My dad still fly's at 78 and I had a friend who was very active well into his late 80's.

LSA aircraft are 2 seat airplanes that are limited by weight and speed and the pilot is limited to certain air space and height requirements. Also no night flying. Definitely more on the fun side of flying. But there are a lot of LSA's with full glass panels right now.

And once you get your license you have it for life.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've heard of people learning to fly in their 70s, and flying until their late 90s.

The key is the medical... and if you can't do that, you might be restricted to light sport aircraft, which only requires a driver's license.

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I am a type 2 diabetic. Not insulin dependent but take metformin orally.

I will check the link. I just feel kinda dumb walking in asking questions when I can get some of the information beforehand.

Thanks for the input. Will be hopefully starting within the the next 60 days.

I saw that a recreational pilot has half the lesson time but is very restricted even on the distance to be flown, no nights and no instruments. I would really hate to be that restricted but will check.

Like I said, on my bucket list......

8. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My father is soon to be 81 and still flies his Bonanza TC around the area. He's in good
    health and most would believe he's in his early 70's if they had to guess. What worries
    me with these older pilots, my father included, is the deterioration of the vision and
    motor skills due to age. They probably get by due to experience and meticulous planning,
    ie (checklists) that make up for the deterioration in skills we start to experience after
    age 25 or 30? I just wonder how old is too old to be flying, and I guess a similiar question is
    how old is too old to be driving? At age 52, my reflexes aren't the same as my 21 year old
    son, and the same would apply to my father and others his age.

Mark

9. Fullagas

Fullagas Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    The best thing to do is ask your local AME's (Airman Medical Examiners). Pick one or two who seem more willing to work with you. I've found that some examiners can be less than accommodating, so it's best to steer clear of those types.
    Age isn't as big an issue as you might think. I've instructed older pilots, as well as those with disabilities including one who was legally deaf. A good attitude is more important than your birthday IMO.

10. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    #10 docmirror, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    AS has already been mentioned, you are at a fork in the road. Right now, you need to find out, or remember if you were previously DENIED a FAA medical, at any time in your past. If you were denied a medical, for diabetes or any other medical reason, you must now go back through the hoops to get your 3rd class medical, including the wavier for your diabetes which must show that it's under control. A good AME will be able to help you with the required tests and paperwork.

It will not be easy, and it may cost you some money to get there but there is light at the end of the tunnel in getting an issuance with non-insulin dependent diabetes(I am not an MD, please get the AME opinion). Once you get your 3rd class medical completed, you can start your training again. At that point you have a choice of three basic programs. First, and what I would recommend is to investigate the 'Sport Pilot' training program. It is accelerated, and there are limitations on use, but for what I think you want to do, the Sport Pilot program might be right up your alley. It's also somewhat cheaper, which is always nice.

Next in line is the Rec pilot program. I do not recommend this because the difference between rec pilot and private pilot is quite small but the rec pilot limitations are more like the Sport Pilot limitations, they are not exactly the same, but if you are going to get your pilot license, you might as well spend the extra few hours of training and go for the PPL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now, if you have NEVER in your past been denied a medical you have another option. You can self-certify your health based on your drivers license and that you feel good enough to pilot a plane. This will limit you to the Sport Pilot program but only if you have never been denied a medical at any time in the past. If you choose the SP program, you will be limited to flying a class of plane that is called a Light Sport. The basic limits are 2 persons, 1320 gross weight, no night, no flight over 10k altitude, max speed 120kts at sea level, and there are a few other restrictions. for most pilots this isn't a big deal unless they want to carry more than one pax, or they want to fly a complex, larger, faster plane.

If you think this program is for you, go to EAA - The Spirit of Aviation - Oshkosh, WI, and link to the SP/LSA section which has a lot of good info for those just getting involved. You can also find info at aopa.org, or just google Sport Pilot, and plenty of links will come up.

Remember, the trigger for all of this is that you have NEVER been denied at any time in the past an FAA medical. If you want to go for the PPL, please get the advise of a AME before you start filling out the 8500-8 medical form. Once you get rejected for a medical, things get very much more difficult. If you want to go completely bare naked, you can always get a BackYard Flyer, and fly without any license, permit, medical, or anything! There are also self launched sail planes which require no medical, but plenty of limitations there too.

Let us know how it goes.