Carbon fiber rear or not? | FerrariChat

Carbon fiber rear or not?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ok458, Feb 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ok458

ok458 Karting

Apr 2, 2010
    I have a few days to change my build on my 458 spider. I'm very comfortable with all options/choices except for the carbon fiber rear piece. The spec is Rossa corsa w/ black interior, red stitching, racing seats, and red belts. Opinions on the rear carbon are welcome. I love the look on the coupe, but not sure on the spider.

2. hets72

hets72 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    #2 hets72, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I say no. I think the proportions are wrong, it makes the rear wing look too thin, and it does nothing for performance or cooling.

I like it better on coupes than spiders. It's also doubtful any will pay you for it on resale.

Go "au naturale" :)

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    For your carbon fiber dollar, invest first in the interior. There are lots of budget busting opportunities there that look really great and are in demand.

5. 16MMM

16MMM Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I did not get the CF rear on my 458 Italia, or the 458 Spider I have on order. Unlike the Challenge Grill on the 360 or the vented 3 dimensional CF rear on the F430, the CF rear offered for the 458 is a flat panel that looks plain with no function. As much as I love exterior CF, I said no.

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I personally don't like the piece on the coupe or spider. I prefer the paint color over the CF. As mentioned, it doesn't provide anything other than aesthetic differences so you can save yourself the cost by just leaving it alone. For some reasons in photos (and in person) it appears to make the rear section look like its missing something. Then you see a photo of a stock painted rear and go 'a ha' now that's more like it.

At least that's what I say anyway ;)

7. Stuartlowden

Stuartlowden Rookie

Feb 2, 2012
    Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Lowden
    I think the carbon rear works really well on white 458s, I've just spec'd my white one with the carbon rear and pics I've seen look great
    However, I'm not as convinced it will work with red

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #8 PhilNotHill, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A pic of a red spider and cf rear with the top up.

Perhaps makes the car look wider. Also picks up the same design cue from the front spoiler.

I would probably save the money but I am cheap. If you like it go for it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Will it look as good with a license plate?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  10. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I say yes on yellow, white, silver and grigio titanio, and maybe Silverstone, and no on the other colors.

11. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    I think maybe it is colour sensitive, love it on the whites & yellows, but also looks very good on the red above. Regardless I would go with the carbon. Its one of those things when I first saw pictures of it, didnt really like it, over time it has grown, and now I couldnt spec a car without it...odd how that works, but Im sure its not just my brain that does that!!

12. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
  13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    FYI... clear coated CF is similar to varnished wood in the way it ages / reacts to UV exposure... clear coatings used include UV filters to help reduce the effects of UV damage, but in time the epoxy resins and clear coating will succomb to UV damage if left exposed...

14. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Interesting. I never thought of that. Is this different than the clear coat over regular paint?

15. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    It looks good in dark lighting and at certain angles, but IMHO, it really doesn't look right. I would rather they do a one piece mesh across the rear - which looks a lot more sexy than this CF add on. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Customize your car anyway you want.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did not get as after seeing both in the showroom did not like how it looked, especially on GS...

17. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    not worth the price, imho

18. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    +1 to this. Mesh I'd consider, but not the carbon.

19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Coupe yes
    Spider no
    By the way...I would reconsider red belt...
    Red is hard to match with clothes when the top os down....

20. Salivan

Salivan Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    I like it on yellow and white cars.. If I were to order on those colors, that would be a no-brainer option (of course if money allows)

If it is corsa, I don't like it that much.. I think there's something wrong...

There was one car that I liked it, though.. It was rosso corsa exterior, but the sill covers were carbon fiber, the wheel were Grigio Ferro Metallic, the exterior was a dual color (black top), and it worked well... But pretty much because there was a lot of black going on the exterior.. And looked ok, but I still think I wouldn't order it.

21. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I've seen it on several cars and don't like it in person

Yet in pictures I think it looks good

Have u seen it in person?

22. ok458

ok458 Karting

Apr 2, 2010
    You guys are awesome! Great advice from people who love these cars. I have decided to not go with the cf rear. I think it looks cool on the coupe in red especially w a black roof. It looks like it breaks up the beautiful lines of the car on the spyder in red. In other colors(silver, white) it looks awesome. And, I changed to black seat belts! Thanks again

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Fantastic.

Enjoy your new car.

24. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It's a matter of taste. Mine tend to the conservative side, so this is what I would do, though I would think it would be fine with the CF as well.

25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #25 PhilNotHill, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Using conservative and Ferrari in the same sentence is interesting.

I am more conservative as well. the 458 is so audacious that a conservative 458 is still out there compared to 99% of the other sports cars out there.

Is CF a fad or is it here to stay? We'll know in 5 to 10 years.

Chrome was big...then it wasn't.

Aristotle: All things in moderation. :cool: