MIAMI VICE TESTAROSSA RECENTLY FOUND | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MIAMI VICE TESTAROSSA RECENTLY FOUND

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by REALMUSCLE1, Feb 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yup... Pictures would be VERY nice.

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #27 greg 19425, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mr. Realmuscle1, good job on solving this Miami Vice dilemma for us. Seems we now know all the facts and can comfortably close the books on this gigantic mystery.

If you have some extra time, could you help us solve the other big mystery we have here on FerrariChat? Which car is the original Police cruiser that was used on the Andy Griffith Show? Is it this 61 Ford that was last spotted in Pawnee Rock, Kansas in 1997 (VIN number still unknown at this point)? Your help is greatly appreciated by us all. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm sure you know, but he stunt car was a rebodied Pantera

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That is an interesting (confusing, probably wrong) vin#, because my 1986 (made in 1985) is serial number 60447.

The Miami Vice cars were single mirror 1985/1986 cars, right?

BTW - we have a thread here which registers all the known single mirror cars and lists the VIN numbers.

5. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    The first double low mirror TR for the USA was s/n 67487. So, 63631 will indeed be a single high mirror car. That all seems OK to me. Besides that, the other Miami Vice Testarossa is 63259, so that's in the same range ...

Anyway, VERY interesting to hear that the second Miami Vice TR is finally known! Your information is really appreciated! Thanks!

6. REALMUSCLE1

REALMUSCLE1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 5, 2013
    THAT WOULD BE A EASY ONE! I OWN THAT CAR TOO.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Then post the documentation.

The spirit of this community is to share Ferrari information.

Matt

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If the above information is correct. There is a 400 car production number gap between the TR at the swap meet and the 'Newly Found MV TR'. From everything I have read the cars were delivered together and used briefly in the previous season finale. So a 400 car gap would not make sense.

And you also own the Andy Griffith police cruiser? OMG that is so cool! I have a line on the location of the Fred Flinstones car. Im trying to source a new rear wheel and the convertible top is a ragged. Both will need to be replace before I make an offer.

9. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Christian,

to count on any constancy with Ferraris Serial Numbers might lead in the wrong direction, assembly numbers would be a more reliable figure to compare. The first Serial Number (63259) could well be produced in March of 1986. The second (63631) should relate from April of 1986. The monthly production in 1986 in average was 303 cars.

And in reality, there are not 400 serial numbers as a difference, but only 186 cars as the Factory did not use even numbers for their cars until S/N 75000 what -again- is a Testarossa from late 1987.

Matthias

f-register.com
    dinoregister.com

10. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    #35 evandaalen, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    I certainly don't agree ...

First of all, we're talking about serial numbers 63259 and 63631. A difference of 372 numbers. However, in those days only ODD numbers were used. So, this means a difference of 186 cars. Back in 1986 Ferrari produced 3640 cars, so the difference is just 18 days. Certainly close enough to be on the same ship to the USA. Besides that, the serialnumber does not represent the exact order of the cars leaving the factory ...

I guess the post from RealMuscle1 might seems a bit strange (I guess we've seen too many 16 year old newbies talking crap), but he might be right about the car. And DMV records indicate that 63631 is white, so that's at least a good sign ;)

EDIT: Matthias was a bit quicker ;)

11. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    sorry, Edvar ;)

12. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    :D

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't forget the time this all happened too. With the long waiting lists and cars being presold I am a bit surprised they found 2 cars to "Liberate" from their original destination or places in the production order so close together.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I bet you don't kick the tires!

15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    NOW.......... That is FUNNY.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I didnt know about the skipping number when issuing serial numbers.

The original TR's were black and painted white by the production company for better filming at night. So the 63631 VIN that corresponds to a white car would be incorrect. He would have to have a VIN that corresponds to a black car, that was painted white. Further evidence that someone is being played.

In my previous life, I was a prop maker in Hollywood. If I had a dollar for every time I ran into a person who had the original X from the movie X, I would have been a millionaire. Some people believed with all their heart and soul that they had the 'real deal'.

This late in the game, I think we are being punk'd. If he had pics of the title/car, he would have been posted by now.

17. REALMUSCLE1

REALMUSCLE1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 5, 2013
    #42 REALMUSCLE1, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    i come here for info and some of you are very helpful thank you , but some of you are *******s (( lear60man, the hater!)) - (karting) (the guy has a go kart) and probably drives a hunday , for the 4 time my car is documented by ferrari, you are a hater and that is not ever going to change , the car that WAS is in question is the one @ the swap shop and i am glad to hear that it might be also the M/V CAR , but @ THE END OF THE DAY THE SERIAL #( TO MY REAL MIAMI VICE CAR IS PUBLIC ) and i still can't read the serial # on that fuzzy florida title from that other car @ the swap shop . BY THE WAY THE CAR @ THE SWAP SHOP HAS A BLACK DASH? and my car does not! after all this it would be nice to be sure maybe there is only 1 left …...

18. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    You really have 2 choices:
    1. Tell the "'haters'" to pi** off and enjoy your car. Bail on this forum. End of story.
    2. Post pix, of the car, of the door jam, of the details, document s from FNA and have them on their knees.

it's simple, this is a "no quarter given forum".

Shut 'em up or be talked about.

19. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    1947gt4- And I would be the first one to say 'CONGRATULATIONS!!' It would be a great day in the Ferrari/Miami Vice communities. A real life prop discovery like this, doesnt come along every day.

REALMUSCLE1- Please refrain from ever sending me another one of your vile PM's. I have only asked for you to validate your claims. Validation requests are normal in these types of situations.

We are members who have various bits of information and try to share as much of that information as possible for the betterment of the community. Photo documentations of your discovery is paramount to your claim.

Hater? I own a pristine low mile white TR as well as other movie and TV props. Post your prof and I gladly reply with an apology.

20. REALMUSCLE1

REALMUSCLE1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 5, 2013
    why don't you prove that you own a t/r and send , pics and docs on yours . don't confuse your pink slip with the pink slip from your hunday

21. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #46 lear60man, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Let me introduce you to the search function. It prevents you from confirming what we know already about you. A simple search function show posts (and pictures) of my Testarossas, questions and maintenance issues etc. All of my proof is here on the forum. My search, ride home, first issues, multiple questions, upgrades etc.

Now its your turn as my proof is on this forum already.

PS. Its Hyundai, and Pete, are you an independent dealer?

22. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Instead of pissing each other off with "hate messages", shall we go back to discussing the original topic in a nice way? Thanks!

Again, I don't agree. I am talking about DMV records. Those show the colour when the car is registered and that doesn't have to be the same as the original factory colour.

The white Testarossa at the Swap Shop certainly is one of the Miami Vice cars. If you don't like that people here are not believing what you are saying about your own car, then you also shouldn't doubt this one. The Swap Shop Testarossa is one of the Miami Vice cars and has VIN ZFFSA17A5G0063259. Go visit them and tell the owner (Preston Henn) about your own car and have a nice chat about it. I spoke to Preston once and he's a nice guy, so just go to the Swap Shop and arrange a meeting ...

Secondly, go talk to (Ferrari Maserati of Fort Lauderdale ). They were previously known as Shelton Ferrari. And Shelton Ferrari did the maintenance of the two Miami Vice Testarossas back when they were used for the TV. Perhaps they still have some records about these cars ...

Finally, regarding the interior: please note that two real cars were used for Miami Vice. One for the nice "outside" shots and one for driving. Interiors could have been different anyway. And on the latter, the whole front was removed for cameras (see my site: Red Headed). Perhaps the interior of the latter was replaced after the filming? So, I wouldn't think that a difference of interior would mean anything ...

And yes, if you have any documents about your own car, I would love to see them. Did you buy it from Mr. P.J.S.? Otherwise contact me by PM or mail. Thanks.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    put up or shut up.

24. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I also can confirm that Preston Henn who owns the Swap Shop has the actual car used in all the filming scenes not requiring hard driving. The Pantera stunt car was used for the fast action scenes and the other car was used for interior close ups only.
    Preston turned down offers close to 1 million for the car, it is the real deal.

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    You are correct about the repainting. However the poster who mentioned the serial number corrilates to a white car said it was from a DMV record. DMV has no knowledge of a cars "original" color, the DMV puts in their data base whatever color the owner checks off on the registartion form.

You are seriously doing nothing to help this thread progress along.