Need Info on the 1961 TR61... | FerrariChat

Need Info on the 1961 TR61...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Nells250, Feb 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    Hello all

I have here a 1/43 kit of the 1961 TR61. The kit comes with decals for #11, Le Mans, and #5, Nurburgring. I have been trying to find photos of these cars, with NO luck. All I see are a #10.

Can anyone give me some info on how many of these cars there were (2?), and where I may be able to find some decent photos of the cars?

Any help would be appreciated!

JD

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Could be 0780TR. See here: 250 TRI/60 s/n 0780TR

The following is from Bonhams web site which may answer some of your questions:

"At the Maranello factory chief engineer Chiti had installed a wind tunnel, in which he developed a new body shape for the 1961 cars, with long, pointed nostril nose, high rear deck and truncated transom tail. Initially a headrest fin was featured, reminiscent of the D-Type Jaguar. The cars were based upon multi-tubular spaceframe chassis with all-independent suspension. The 3-litre V12 engine was set well back and low in the frame and drove via a five-speed transmission inherited from the preceding TRI/60 model.

In period only two of the original works Ferrari TR/61 cars were built new – after 1960 chassis ‘0780’ had been re-developed as a prototype for the new model. The true TR/61s were chassis ‘0792’ with nostril nose and transom tail, and its sister ‘0794’ – both initially completed in January 1961. Only the first car was pressed into almost immediate service, being entered in the Sebring 12-Hours classic in Florida in which it won handsomely, co-driven by Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien. For the fourth consecutive year a Ferrari Testa Rossa had won the opening World Championship-status sports car race of a new season, vindicating the Italian company’s policy of “get them built and tested” well in advance.

The Sebring-winning car later reappeared in the Le Mans 24-Hours classic, in which it was crewed by the Rodriguez brothers – Pedro and Ricardo – and was forced into retirement by engine failure. The second TR/61 made its racing debut at Le Mans, in which it was driven to yet another victory by Phil Hill/Olivier Gendebien. It was sold post-race to Luigi Chinetti – Ferrari’s legendary American importer – and it was campaigned by Pedro Rodriguez in the Canadian sports car Grand Prix (2nd), it won the Governor’s Trophy race at Nassau, Bahamas, and finished third there in the Nassau Trophy race."

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    I beg to differ on finding photos... I sat yesterday for some time, and I only found the one blurry B&W of #11. I want to see the car in color as #11 and/or #5 so I can get the paint, interior, etc right.

I suppose I could always just keep the decals off...

There were photos of #10, but again, I want to see the ACTUAL car.

One thing that also seemed to effect my photo search was a replica that kept showing up.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #5 miurasv, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Seen here at Le Mans 1961 at about 5.56 and 8.18.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTm-QUXg4Q]1961 24 hours of Le Mans - YouTube[/ame]

Good footage at about 28.29 below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGfQOLFHgYE[/ame]

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #6 El Wayne, Feb 21, 2013
    How about another blurry B&W photo? This time from the other side of the car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nells250

Nells250 Rookie

Mar 16, 2012
    Near Boston
    That second video is pretty nifty... looks like black dash-pad, silver gauge panel... black exhaust...

I did find some photos of what appears to be the #10 car now, and it doesn't have that black area above the dash:

1961 Ferrari 250 TRI61 Images | Conceptcarz.com

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The pictures in the link above are of 0794TR.

9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    There is considerable confusion about which drivers drove which 250TRs at this event. What was originally given out as the drivers for each car and even the s/ns of the cars was often changed even to within a day or two of the event which included the cars officially entered in the earlier Test Day. I have color pictures of #9 and #10 at the race not of great clarity. If interested send me your P O address and I will mail copies to you. tongascrew

10. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #10 Boudewijn, Feb 24, 2013