(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway | Page 10 | FerrariChat

(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DIGMAN52, Apr 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NickDeFender

NickDeFender Rookie

Aug 16, 2007
  2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    What a great series of photos Nick! Love the shots with the hay bales in the road, and lots of offroading as well.

Most of the cars had Amalie Pro Racing Oil stickers on them, and that is who I was there with.

This brings back some great memories.

3. ddodson49

ddodson49 Rookie

Nov 20, 2012
    don't know if any you older guys remember R.D.Dodson. He ran a little gas expertimental rail dragster. He was my uncle an spent many an weekend an lots labor days at the valley. Looking through the pics i remember alot of the races an the cars. I rmember seeing the firt jet car there USA1. MNY found memory of those days

4. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    Love this thread! Never stop posting the photos.

Last month, I purchased a barn find '55 Chevy 2-door sedan C/G gasser that was supposedly drag raced in North Texas throughout the 60s. Last drag race in 1970. One piece, lift-off fiberglass front. Never a front straight axle car. NHRA roll bar set-up circa mid-60s. Moon gas tank in trunk. Industrial strength version of what appears to be a Ford 9" rear. No engine or trans, but has engine mounts that appear to be for a BBC. Pedals are gone, so no telling what type of tranmission it raced with.

The seller, who lives in Grand Prairie, thought he had contact info for the son of the now deceased original owner/racer, but lost it.

Bet the car & driver's identity can be determined...as the car was painted like a giant confederate flag! Stars & bars on the fiberglass hood with stars & bars, Boss 302-type stripes running down the doors. Surely there are race photos somewhere of this car. Probably the only '55 Chevy on the planet painted that way. Years ago, someone put a half-assed coat of grey primer on it, but Mother Nature's work allows you to still see the original stars & bars paint job under the primer.

Next time Rob L. is at my building, I will have him taken some pics of the exterior, roll bars & rear suspension and post them on this thread.

I am going to replace both doors as the original owner cut out the door frames to save weight! But keep/display the original doors with the funky paint scheme.

Uncle Greg

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ...another one I hadn't heard about. :D

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Between you and Brian, we need a vintage drag night in the spring. What is the other old drag car you have? Not an Anglia was it?

7. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    Authentic steel Willys coupe ('37 body w '41 front clip) with original VIN Number. Big block Chrysler, 833 4 speed, Mopar 8 3/4 rear. Straight front axle with front disc brakes. Its nose is way up in the air. Should be running & driving by mid-2013. Cont. Ed. weekend body shop classes at Eastfield College keep cancelling, so its tough to push it to completion. Willys will be street legal, sorta. Hopefully, the DPS inspector will not frown about the parachute & wheelie bars...

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Kennedale runs the BH Nationals in the fall each year. It is based on vintage drag cars such as Raymond Beadles Blue Max etc. Several front engine top fuel cars along with a good number of gassers. I sold my last fuel altered years ago and currently do not have one to run but I do still attend and know a number of the guys.

I ran Green Valley a lot back then but am not sure I know the 55 you are talking about. I will look through what stuff I have and see if I can find anything.......

I agree this is a cool thread. I too love looking back at the way it used to be.......

9. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    Let's take them to the track.

Here is our track night at Crandall back in September 2012.

1st time out with this car. We had the small nitrous pills in and had some motor issues but was still able to run 10.32 sec at 128 mph in the 1/4 mile through the mufflers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPfiKL5aM4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgVmzC4uVk[/ame]

10. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #236 AnotherDunneDeal, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few more......

The top one is Bobby Langley when he was AHRA world champion. It was one of the first times he ran the new clutch setup that allowed him to run virtually smokefree. We lost Bobby a few months ago. I hung out with Bobby and Ruth for a couple of hours at last years BH Nationals at Kennedale. He and his wife were passing out home made cookies to all the fans who stopped by to visit with him.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    And Bobby Langley.....

Oops. Did not attach. Will try again.....

12. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Uncle Greggy, did the 55 confederate flag Chevy originate in Grand Prairie or is that just the second home? I grew up in Grand Prairie and some of my friends dads were drag racers and may remember the car if it was based in Grand Prairie during its racing days.

once you get pictures send them my way... Also check with Harry's Hot Rod on corner of Main Street and NW 13th. It's been around since the 60s I think and Some old school cats still work there I think.

14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Hearing the name Harry's Hot Rod Shop brought back some memories. They used to be on Singleton under I-30 in Dallas before they moved to Grand Prarie. Spent a lot of time with my drag racing buddies wandering around there.

They probably moved to be closer to Yellow Belly Drag Strip. I went there once, and was nervous enough about the crowd there that I never went back. Was supposed to be crazy dangerous, with not enough run-off room. Any of you old timers race there?

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #241 AnotherDunneDeal, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    I attended when I was about 15 a couple of times then raced there twice. You are right about the runoff room. And hitting it out from under the awning at the starting line was pretty loud. I did not care to go back with the advent of Green Valley and it being such a better track. I heard the reputation of Yellow Belly became pretty bad with fights and knifings breaking out on a regular basis. Have not been back in many years......

I understand they still race there. In fact, if you want your racing up close and personal.......
    http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/21827-grudge-racing-at-the-yellowbelly-drag-strip

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  17. bandroadman

bandroadman Rookie

Jan 5, 2013
    I sure remember your uncle. Didn't he own a Phillips 66 station? The car I remember was a red dragster called the Spider - full body with an old hemi. If I remember correctly, he had a 3 speed transmission but only used the two top speeds. Would love to see some pictures. I pit crewed for him several times. Nice old guy.

18. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    I have been to Yellow Belly 1-2/year for about 5 years. Saturday & Sunday crowds are scary. Suspect there are many guns in waistbands. The exception is when they host the annual street rod/vintage drags. Which is a totally different crowd...for one afternoon. For some reason, the thugs & gang members stay away when the vintage drags are held. Hope to run my '55 Chevy gasser there at the 2014 vintage drags.

19. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Have they already had the 2013 street rod/vintage drags? When will the 2014 event take place? Let us know. There is strength in numbers.

The gangs scared me off many years ago. I love good drag racing, hate violence and threats of it......

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wow, really cool find. I would have loved to race that track. I love long straights to a hairpin, sucker turn. David Hobbs big name racing it. Mostly no names though. Not sure that part of trans-am history, but certainly looks more amateur than late 60's to early 70's, even the late 90's early 00's era with Jaguars etc. I just love all the trans am racing high Hp, heavy cars, and balls out racing.

21. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Great stuff Nick !

Did you ever get the video game finished with Green Valley on it?

22. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #249 DIGMAN52, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got this response to an old photo I posted on the Ford GT Forum from Tomy Hamon. His family owned dealerships in Houston, and raced this GT 350, as well as a 289 Cobra.
    I met Tomy in the 90's when I got to help an older cousin sell his 1986 Autokraft Cobra, made at the old AC factory in Britain. He still has it, as well as a Ford GT. He has some great stories.

Great pictures Philip. The GT350 was #108 we raced in the 60's with Carroll. That picture was taken in 1965 or 66 at Green Valley, Dallas with Bill Steele in practice. Pedro Rodrigues drove in the feature race against Carroll's Nat Champ Jerry Titus. Pedro ran him off the course in the first lap and he could never catch up. Rick Titus to this day won't talk to me about that race. Those we the good old days. It's a wonder I ever got out of college trying to make every race on weekends and back to school on Monday. Picture below.

23. old gto lover

old gto lover Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they remember a red 64 Gto that was raced there and also down by houston