Rowing | FerrariChat

Rowing

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Any indoor rowers out there? I just purchased a Concept2 Model D and am enjoying it so far. I'm sure it will turn into a dust collector since I have very little self-motivation when it comes to exercise... but, I'm going to do my best until that time.

Any tips or tricks or... ways to make it fun?

GT

2. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I used that machine in the gym I belonged to. I enjoyed it and used it almost every time I could. Self motivation comes from you, so I really can't give too much help there ;). I would set some goals (time, reps, certain part of workout) to help with its purpose in your routine. I have found that personal exercise equipment become "dust collectors" because we use them a whole lot at first, and then look at it with the attitude of being bored with it. Have you got a television in the area you workout? Put on some rowing videos and get in the zone that way.

Let us know how it works for you.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I do have a TV in there. I'm hoping that makes the time pass a bit. I actually don't mind exercise, but I do get quite bored with it. Here's to hoping the weight loss and improved health are good enough motivators! :)

GT

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Best of luck with it. I strongly believe in doing activities like rowing and biking vs just running and doing things like the stair master. I find them to be much more fun and seemingly don't get bored of them.

5. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Never tried videos, I'd think they'd "distract" - music is best for be, specifically a set list that has a tempo that can sync to your stroke (I'm best around 30 so a beat of 120 works well). Another thing I'll mess with during a workout is refining my stroke so as to maximize output - technique can have an enormous effect.

If you get into it, try a boat and you'll be hooked - just so long as you're an early riser :eek:

6. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    With a treadmill or a stationary bike I really like watching TV. So far, there is no way I can watch TV while rowing. It takes more concentration to do it correctly. Maybe after I get better at it I can think about something else while working out. :)

My last 2000m time was sub nine minutes. World record baby! :)

GT

7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Forget records and don't get wrapped up in other folks times, just improve on yours. There are some seriously fast folks out there and it can get demoralizing!

Heck, my 20 something rail thin niece can deliver some crushing times - she is about 30% strength and 70% technique.

8. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Trust me, I'm not a natural athlete so no worries about me even trying for new records. :)

GT

9. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ya know, that's one thing about rowing that is so appealing to lots of folks. I have several family members that were/are (some are deceased) excellent oarsmen/women. Interestingly they were/are not the hand/eye gifted athletes - they were however, very competitive. I've seen rowing reach out and grab some of the most seemingly un athletic folks and hook 'em for life.

Have fun with it, GT - and, do try the water sometime.

10. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I sometimes put on a video just to have it on so that in between breaks and the periodic lookup I can maintain motivation. Keep the video muted and the music turned up and it makes for a good atmosphere.

11. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    I bought one for my home after using one at Crossfit. Try doing Tabatas - you can set the timer for those type intervals. I have also found several different protocols to keep it interesting rather than just rowing for distance or time. I can PM you some if you are interested.

12. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I did 30 minutes straight today which equated to 6001m. I pushed really hard the last 2:00 to make it over 6000m.

The thing that's interesting about rowing is that to go faster you don't increase your speed (stokes per minute). You increase your power which comes from the legs.

I'm going to work on my 500m time a bit this evening or tomorrow.

GT

13. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Actually to go faster (sprint correctly) you do both. If you are NOT going any faster when increasing your tempo that means something is breaking down in your stroke. Usually your catch is disintegrating or you are not pulling all the way through.

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Ok. I'm curious then (not questioning you... just trying to learn) why does everything I read say to stay within 22-26 SPM?

GT

15. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I have a model C with the PM4.

Use the HRM to stay motivated. Also trying to keep the watts up can be a hell of a challenge.

16. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Good question, GT, maybe so as to help insure proper form when starting out? Or maybe it's just an erg training thing. I'd tell you that at start your boat might pull in the 40's, then settle around 30, if a close race (and the boat is setting right and enough gas in the tank) maybe sprinting in mid high 30's.

Only way ones gonna win pulling at 22-26 is if the other boat pulls a wicked serious crab or sinks ;)

17. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Ah... ok. Thanks! :)

GT

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I want to buy Concept also. I row at crossfit best 500m is 1:37

19. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Working out becomes fun when you want to do it. If you don't want to then it won't be.

20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Wow. I think I can almost maintain that pace for about 50m. I'm getting better though!

GT

21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I use mine for doing 2000m mostly as that's a short amount of time and I stay interested in beating my best (haven't quite broken 8 minutes yet so the goal keeps me going). Nice warmup for lifting. Too much longer on the rower and I get bored. Rather run outside or on the treadmill with a movie (if it's too cold out or I need to stay near the phone/computer).

intervals can keep you interested too.. 500m hard then lighten up until you recover then 500 hard again.

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What's your 500 time? At crossfit we do 2000m and sometimes 5000m

23. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
  24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    GT, up for some rowing today?

2X 2,000 meter rows.

time doesn't matter and they don't have to be back to back.

I'll join you.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we have a rower, just need to do it more. great upper and lower body workout. I struggle working out inside, I like to get outdoors for swim, bike, or run.