Oklahoma Ferrari Owners.. Check in here. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oklahoma Ferrari Owners.. Check in here.

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by noblesteed, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #26 noblesteed, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    This is noted and I do understand what you are saying. I'm really trying to bow out of this thread at this point. My intentions are good and for a positive reason and I mentioned above that my use of the term "pathetic" wasn't the best choice... although as Bull Run stated, I do think it started a fire storm far bigger than what was a little over the top. Todd, I've actually already been hitting the pavement as well and your point about that side is correct although I just thought it was worth a shot of letting a few guys know what I was thinking by posing the question... and seeing if they might be interested in meeting each other OR pulling info together to help each other out. ;)

So far in OKC owners of a 360, 82' 308, 355, 89' Mondial T, and 550 (as well as my car) whom I've met at recent shows and just out running around are all interested in having at least some sort of resource and we all swapped info. 3 of them are now using the same Ferrari mechanic as me and were completely out in the dark on who to take there cars to for service.

It made me realize that not everyone knows about Ferrari chat or gets online. The Mondial owner was at the recent Edmond car show and thanked me for talking to him cause he was discouraged and worried about servicing his car. I felt bad for him and it shouldn't have to be that way. It made me want to help. A lot of guys don't spend much time online or out and about and the more people we can tie together (even done discreetly or just via email), the more we can help each other out. It's exactly what the KC guys do: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364038 and with great success. I just thought it's a great idea for those who might interested in Oklahoma / Oklahoma City who aren't already involved or want to be a part.

You are right, we are all busy. Despite all my faults, I'm a very driven / passionate person. None of us would have a Ferrari if we weren't good at what we do to some point. Just like every other Ferrari owners, I'm extremely busy too. I just spent a month in Europe recording a new album and am leaving on a 25 city U.S. tour, but I can work from my computer and help local guys reach out to each other... help with get togethers or make a newsletter / database with mechanic info in the area, events going on, etc.

I had already emailed the local Ferrari chapter President and never got a response. It was a little disappointing so I just thought I'd reach out and try to make a difference. It seems like Central Oklahoma, other than the occasional cars and coffee at Starbucks (which is every random make there is) is the only outlet for Ferrari guys around here. My thought was, there could be more... in even small things.

How some guys responded was pretty hurtful and a little discouraging because I feel like a lot of guys, threw out some low blows ripping my income, how much I give to charity, or kind of guy I am, "that I don't know what it's like to own a Ferrari" etc... over really a one sentence post. I've apologized for upsetting anyone multiple times (or maybe not handling it or wording it the best with that sentence) and that's all I can do. I'm a good guy (or try really hard at it) ;) , work extremely hard (just like all of you) and just like you, love the cars... I, like many of you, have owned some great cars. I grew up in car clubs as a kid with my family who restored a lot of amazing cars so I know it takes a lot of work. Some of us, even though we'd love to, probably can't drive our cars 2 hours to Grand Lake / Tulsa... especially the older cars that are more fickle and temperamental. Mine is in the shop getting a clutch and brake booster. I hope to have it back today. I never said I didn't think the guys up there weren't doing great things. I know guys are doing great things, like the show up there in August, etc... The more the better and I think it's great! I talked to Matt (M.Roberts) offline and everything and we are totally cool. Some times I feel like the internet, text messaging, etc can be easily taken out of context or get a little out of control when you are stuck behind a user name.

I was only introducing the idea because as many have stated, there is a lack of presence of any core group (at least in Central OK), not just to get together and meet but even as an email news letter or specific way for OKC and surrounding areas to be active. I was merely volunteering to start the process and try for the sake of all of us, if you chose to be a part. I understand the reservations completely and didn't see a lot of harm in shooting me an email offline but I understand... and it's ok, and again, sorry if I somehow upset someone. :) I hope everyone has a great weekend.

2. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    I read thru this post and this quote came the closest to my opinion. I am signed up with c and c. here in Tulsa. I have been invited to many a charity runs and events. But, I am in the car business and Saturdays (which seems to be the day everyone meets) is "Game Day" for me so, I work that day. I am not rich but, I do work hard and give to as many less fortunate than I as often as I can. So, due to my scheduling. I too am left with the time I have to enjoy my 97 355 six speed. Now If someone wanted to meet on Sunday for some drive time I would welcome that. Otherwise, look for a red Spider driving around in S. Tulsa on Sundays :>)

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Steve,

Good to hear you are enjoying your car!!! Weather permitting, we could get together one of these days. There are a few of us here in Joplin. we could meet up somewhere in between.

best,

Steve

4. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Thanks Steve. Looking forward to it. My folks live on the lake near Grove so, thats a very doable idea. Prolly after the first weather permitting. Thanks.

5. mrdezyne

mrdezyne Karting

Mar 11, 2010
    BA
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Steve, we would love to have you join us at our next C&G event. We have many of the local exotics owners here on the forum active in our drives and meets. Ask around if you would like references before joining us, its a good group of owners.

Our next event is indoors on the 19th from 9-noon, hosted by a local detail shop that is highly regarded by the majority of high-end owners in Tulsa.

Curt

6. deon.smith

deon.smith Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Curt,

I think we need to extend this invite to Brantley as well. (The OP).
    He will have to rub shoulders with BMW, Jaguar, Corvette, Alfa, Lamborghini, Lexus owners to name a few. (Oh I forgot some Fcar owners as well).

If this does not tickle his fancy he is on his own.

SLM why don't you get a group down from Joplin for a change to join us in Tulsa.
    I am sure Curt can organize an event where we will go to Joplin.

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Dion, I will certainly try. However, a call schedule and 6 kids does limit my mobility a bit.

8. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #33 noblesteed, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Dion... I appreciate that kind offer. ;) I'm surprised to see this thread still alive as it was some time ago and things have been all good. I've been very active in OKC and we now have a solid group of 12 Ferrari owners. We have been meeting and going to Cars & Coffee, dinner, etc... Working on some charity stuff for the Spring with local groups and maybe something for OU Children's Hospital. The local Lotus club leader is a great guy and I do think we'll be doing a Route 66 run together to Pops soon when the weather is more consistent.

I was on tour for a bit and trying to finish the album I recorded in Prague, Czech this past year but I didn't get discouraged. I'm a believer that these cars are like art... and the best thing about them is being able to share them with kids and people who will never be fortunate enough to own one. It's also nice to just have some guys who can share maintenance advice, talk Ferrari's and help each other out through similar interest, etc. Everyone is very successful at their own field and it's a cool mix.

It's weird how things spread. Just through cars and coffee and friends of other owners... guys in the group, OKC Ferrarichat guys, my Ferrari mechanic in Norman, etc... there are at this point 33 known Ferrari's in the greater OKC metro area that we know of. I'm sure there are several unaccounted for. We've all had a blast and everyone is really nice and laid back. With the help of myself and 2 others (458 owner and 355 Spider owner), we've really got a cool group of Ferrari owners together in OKC. I don't get up to Tulsa very often lately but if I do, I'd love to meet all of you guys.

This was at Cars and Coffee a couple of months ago... we had a few others this month but it was pretty chilly and none of us were focused on pics but instead our coffee and gloves... haha. Good times with great cars and great people!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Fastfwd

Fastfwd Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    #34 Fastfwd, Jan 20, 2013
    Spotted the OKC gathering today while out and about. As I shared with the op; nice to see a few Ferraris gathered in OKC. Seem like a disproportionate number of Lambos in recent years and while it’s always cool to see an exotic I have personally been really perplexed by the disparity in numbers of Ferraris.

This forum might give me some clue why that is – I may have to browse it a bit more. I can already see how driving a Ferrari in Oklahoma might be more of a headache than it’s worth beyond getting service for it. My first car was a ’70 (I think? I’m fuzzy on the year now) Porsche 911T Targa that my uncle restored. Imagine being 16 driving a Guards Red Porsche 911 in Durant, OK. My parents had a ’61 Jaguar MK IX prior to it that was poised to be my ‘first car’ and that probably would have been an even worse idea.

Ferraris At Republic - a set on Flickr

Those might be a bit oversaturated, but look better on my monitor anyway (which is pretty far from calibrated). I’m tinkering with Adobe Lightroom and probably going a little heavy on the tweaking.

Comparison set of the straight jpegs vs. my RAW tweaks – to me they look much improved on my monitor. Click them full screen and flip through to compare if you like.

Ferrari Pics Comparison Set - a set on Flickr

Didn’t intend to hijack your thread with my pictures post… gave me something to take pictures of today on my ride around town in the least.

10. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    It was great meeting you Jason! Thanks for taking those pics! We'll have to have you out to some future functions and snap some more! Everyone really enjoyed seeing them and we had a great time at Ferrari lunch! I agree... you see lots of Lambos in OKC but Ferrari's have been in hiding. Now that we are meeting and active, you'll see more and more at our functions.

Thanks for sharing the pics and posting those of the cars of your history. LOVE that old 911! That's what it's all about!

Brantley

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Great looking car Matt!!! Enjoy.

12. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    WOW! That car rocks Matt! And to the above posts. My 355 is under the weather with a major scheduled. I look forward to getting involved with the Tulsa and OKC groups and the charities/fund raisers etc. Thanks for the pics. Beautiful Ferraris...! SEE everyone i the Spring...

13. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    #39 tcannon, Jan 21, 2013
    My 348 is still out of commision while I work through the insurance claim from the person who hit me. But I hope to have it ready to go for C&C this spring in OKC and possibly Tulsa. ;)

14. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    Met Brantley and the group from OKC this weekend. Seriously, a great group of guys (and girl!). I look forward to more get togethers as the weather improves!

15. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    Matt,

The white with black wheels looks amazing! Congrats.

16. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Those are rocking wheels. Would they fit a spider 97 355? If so, maybe point me to the source...Thanks.. Beautiful car. Did it get hi on the other side?

17. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Yes, the wheels should fit a 355 as well. They are a factory 360 wheel that was available as an upgrade option when new. You can find a set usually for $3000 to $3500. Did you meant hit on the other side? This pic was taken before the accident. The damage is to the front hood, headlight buckets, front bumper and fenders. The suv basically drove up the front of the car to the windshield. :(

18. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Yeah. MY car has been hit also (previous owner) cappy job. I have a "wiggle" in the left side headlight. I bought the car Sight unseen outta FL. I got lucky in that nothing alse was really wrong with it. It has a major scheduled with John at speedsports in Tulsain early March. I don't drive it much. till then. I mostly just tinker with it in the garage....

19. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    John did the major on my 348 when I bought it. In the deal I made for the car, it included a major service. I found it in Tulsa so it was taken to Speedsports for the service. He did a nice job. I have had it for over 4 years without any problems (connected with the service anyway). :D

20. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    I am in the car business. So, I have known about John. His "Shop of Cars" is amazing!!! And he is very reasonable compared to what alot of places are wanting to charge. It's second nature almost for John to break a ferrari engine dn...I look forward to seeing you out this sping though...

21. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    Matt, that is one of my favorite colors for a 458. Fantastic looking car. Now is that along with the Scud or did you trade that in on it?

22. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    Still have the scud....

23. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    That's really great! Enjoy both and hope to see you around

24. mrdezyne

mrdezyne Karting

Mar 11, 2010
    BA
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Steve, somehow I missed the bit about working Saturdays. We will try to plan a drive for a Sunday afternoon, I know others have requested this also so it should be a decent sized group.

Matt, wow, that, uh, wow. Hope you are free to bring it over to the meet at Chris's shop this month... the 16th.