Talk me out of a yellow Cayman | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Talk me out of a yellow Cayman

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Jan 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Yes, one of 10 Speed Yellow USA cabriolets made over the model run. There is a one of one Riviera Blue cab and a one of one Mint Green cab owned by friends. We look like an Easter Egg collection when we're all together!

2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #27 Mark(study), Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was talking about the new Cayman 981 vs old Cayman 987 over on Planet-9.com... playing around with 4 photos-
    1) 987 2006-2012
    2) 981
    3) 981 quick Photoshop job to remove side door scoop
    4) 981 surprisingly similar to the profile of the 991

I love the new shade of yellow that Porsche is using... looks a lot brighter! The older shades of yellow, green, and orange on the 987 just weren't as bright as I liked them, so I went with red. My daily driver is a Guards Red Cayman, cops have left me alone... radar detector has saved me more than a few times. Biggest problem I had was picking between the S and the base car. I went with the base as this is my daily driver and I like to stretch the engine on my daily drive when traffic allows. Love the higher RPMs and the sound of the engine.

With the "S" I spent more time on the brakes than the accelerator, and by the time I got into the upper RPM's I was going too fast for a simple ticket ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do you still have your great pumpkin GT3?

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    PNA sent me a fancy pants brochure on the new Cayman. They want me to buy one. I presume they are sending them to all current Cayman owners.

Dave

5. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Absolutely....when I finally saw it in the metal I had to stare at it for awhile.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not sure what your point is... yes, Porsche designed the Cayman to look like a 911...

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We were just looking at photos... passing time as most of us have not seen it in person yet. Just surprised how much it looked like a smaller 991 once you look past the large door scoop.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And even prior Cayman owners. Sadly, the Cayman is the weak sister sales wise.

Dale

9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I do agree that Caymans and 355s in yellow look great. I've had a yellow 914 and several red 911s/930/308; I never got a ticket in such cars. Silver and black Benzes are good for tickets based on my record.

Go for yellow!

10. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a guide I use for deciding on just the right colour for a car.

Red - Good for sports cars especially Ferrari
    Bad for any sedan and NOT to be used on any Lamborghini later than '02

Black - Good for any car you would like to constantly rub with a microfiber towel
    Bad if you have a life

Blue - Good if it's TDF blue and on a Ferrari
    Bad if it's not and WTF were you thinking!

Green - Good if you love the colour
    Bad if you were planing on selling the car one day

Yellow - Good if it's on a car you don't own and only see every now and then
    Bad if it's on your DD as every time you get in you will be faced with the reallity
    you did indeed really buy a yellow car. The impact of which varies with the intensity
    of the hue

White - Good on just about anything
    Bad if you have matching white rims and like to play the Miami Vice theme constantly

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's a sad commentary that Porsche's best drivers car is also their worst seller.

Dave

12. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    No need to talk you out of it. Just go ahead and do it, life's too short to worry about what everyone else thinks. Besides yellow is a great colour on a Porsche.

Regards,

13. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007

My Lamborghini Gallardo spyder looks absolutely fantastic in it's bright shade of red. Makes a refreshing change from all the yellow, orange, black, white and green ones around.
    I would say that 99% of the comments from the people that have seen my car in person are positive regarding the colour.

Regards,

14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Based on his name, I think his view is tainted and shouldn't be considered.

15. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It should have said Red is ok for Lamborghini '02 and later provided you do NOT have yellow brake calipers. You don't have yellow calipers... Right? The list was shortened quite a bit to save time.

16. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm trying to do as the OP requested. Your not helping matters!

17. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I meant to ask you: have you driven the new Cayman? What are your thoughts? I had an 07 Cayman as a DD for a bit. I enjoyed the handling better than my previous 996, but a four seater fit my DD duties better. Also, I've driven the new Boxster but only at a track, so I've no experience in street conditions.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I haven't seen any reviews on the car yet... I'd guess the press is just now getting their first drives in the car?

So I'd add... have you seen the new Cayman in the flesh yet? Its only been shown at the Detroit and LA car shows?

I'd love to hear what folks who've seen it, thought of the new look?

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No, drove a new Boxster S. There are no Caymans available for a test drive, but should be basically the same.

20. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I love yellow cars. And I love the new Cayman / Boxster. But, personally, I just don't think they look good in yellow. I don't think it will change your mind, but I'm voting "no" for the new Cayman in yellow. I think these two cars look great in most colors (blacks, greys, silver, white, blue, etc...), but I can't warm up to them in yellow or red.

Now, spec one out in metallic black and we're on the same page!

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #46 Mark(study), Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found a good side by side photo. still trying to figure out the changes in the design... they are small, but really change the look of the new Cayman

987 vs 981

22. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Cayman's are great. You'll love it.

But please... don't get a yellow one. I would never buy any car in yellow.

23. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I had a guards red Boxster S and never had any trouble from the highway man. The one time I got pulled over, 3 of us got pulled over at the same time, so hard to say I was singled out. We were all going about 50 in a 45.

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

A yellow Cayman, or any P-car, is perfect.

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. I had a yellow TT once, which I still had it.

Because you only go around once, you might as well wave your freak flag high.

Dale