NHL 2012-2013 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NHL 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Sports' started by alum04org, Jul 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Watch the CHL. The World Jrs were exciting (well, for us Americans anyway). There's college hockey if you need more. I used to be a huge NHL fan, but this has been ridiculous. I know as just one person, I won't mean anything to the NHL, but I refused to spend a dime on them anymore. I went to 29 games last year and probably won't go to any this year. I refused to keep getting manipulated by a terribly run league every few years, but because a large majority of fans are running back as if the lockout never happened, the league can afford to do this.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There are a lot of people in Canada saying the same thing, so you could be on to something.

I don't recall hearing this back during the 2004-2005 lockout, so the NHL may have caused itself some real damage this time.

3. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Let's agree that G Bettman is a dork. A BIG dork. A dork that loves work stoppages.

Do I understand that NHL franchises held season ticket holders $$$ dough $$$ all this (strike) time? Mike, anyone? Even if not, if I was a season ticket holder I'd be fuming mad.

I'll tune in on Dish Network because I'm paying for it anyway.... but certainly wonder how many hockey fans jumped ship.

Now I'm gonna tune into Dish Network and BTN for BGSU versus U of M, college hockey broadcasted live fron Yost Arena in Ann Arbor, MI. 740 PM EST puck drop.

4. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In fairness to Gary, he does what the owners tell him to do. Also, it's the owners that do this to themselves - they turn around and sign these players to contracts that are well over what the player is worth, then they lock-out the players to "fix" the system....the system that the owners are responsible for breaking.

And I am no fan of Gary Bettman, by the way :)

That is correct. They would have given a refund if the season was cancelled. They will give a refund to any one-offs that were cancelled because of the lock-out (ie if I had a ticked for a Nov 30 game that I already paid for prior to the season starting then I will receive a refund).

I am not sure if they will refund a portion of the season ticket holder, I would think they will and just charge them a pro-rated amount based on 48 or 50 games.

This is the million dollar question.

As I mentioned in a previous post, during the 2004 lock-out the fans were loyal and came running back the following season when the NHL resumed.

This time, here in Canada, there are several die-hards (soon to be former die-hards) that are saying they are done with the NHL; something these same die-hards did not say in 2004.

5. Four30Spider

Four30Spider Karting

Apr 22, 2008
    Los Angeles
  6. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Yes, the clubs took our money in August and they were able to accrue interest on it. Nice, huh? I am very close to being done with them.

And to the poster who called Bettman a "dork", I would use the word Satan instead. And Fehr is just as bad. I will come back full time when both of these scumbags are gone from the game for good.

7. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Keith,
    How'd he do that?
    Whazz he say now? About anything...
    And I'll bet he ain't from Madison County...
    Cheers,
    RE

8. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am not surprised that they fired him, I was surprised they hired him to begin with...oh wait, it's the Leafs, I am not suprised anymore :D

9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm curious to know if they refunded you for the games missed - can you elaborate?

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did anyone watch Bettman's news conference last night? Thoughts?

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

My wife actually watches sports with me on TV, NOT ONCE did she make a comment like 'where are the hockey highlights?'. Life went on without it, life will go on with it, it may never be the same, this is different than the baseball strike or the last hockey strike.

If both sides cared one bit about the fans they would lower ticket prices and lower licensing fees so fans could afford to go to more games, and could afford to buy more hats and sweaters (jerseys).

I would venture to say the amount of interest they earned was about as miniscule as the interest you would have earned had you kept it. We are talking maybe $2.00, not $2,000.

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Whisky, some of the teams are offering spiffs to fans:

1) Dallas - children under 12 free

2) Pittsburgh - free concession for the first four games

3) Can't recall which team but season tickets for $200

There is a 4th team, can't recall who are what they are offering, but I'm sure several other teams will come up with something....all except the Leafs, because they know the fans will come no matter how terrible a product they put on the ice.

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You think that will do it? ROTFLOL...

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Personally, I don't think they have to do anything because the fans will come back anyways ;)

15. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    #40 alum04org, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Opening day for the NHL season today.
    Although a Red Wings fan through and through, it will be interesting to see what happens this (shortened) season. I think it's somewhat crappy the Red Wings will not play any games against the east teams...
    Let's see how Rick Nash does in his new locale - NYR.

Today's NHL TV lineup for my viewing pleasure:

•3 Chicago at Los Angeles , NBC
    •3 Ottawa at Winnipeg , CBC
    •7 Toronto at Montreal , CBC
    •7 N.Y. Rangers at Boston , NHL
    •8 Detroit at St. Louis , FSD/97.1
    •10 Anaheim at Vancouver , CBC

A CBC triple-header!

16. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm still in awe of the blues' 6-0 shutout over the wings yesterday! Vladimir tarasenko is gonna be one to watch, 2 goals on his first 2 NHL shots!

17. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Leafs won the opener and spanked the Habs 2-1! It's going to be a good year. I'm going to make it out to Toronto for at least 2 or 3 of the home games this season.:)

18. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

Oh sooo embarassing - I wasn't going to say anything and see if anyone noticed. Just awful.
    But I sure agree on Tarasenko - man he looked good. Blues are tough-tough-tough!

19. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Anyone else notice there seems to be a lot more fighting this year than last? Or is it just me? Is everyone on edge, or is this a ratings thing?

I don't mind it at all... I think it's a great part of the sport, but it seemed the league was trying to put the brakes on that for quite a while.

20. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    and probably a good thing. Due to scheduling weirdness, the Red Wings have already seen the Blues four times in the first 1/4 of the season. And you know what that breeds.

Watched the Wash Caps at T B Lightning game on NHL Network last night. Hardly ever get to see T B play. It was a really good game!

Tonight's TV lineup in my viewing area ( ! ! ! ):

630p Northern MI Univ at MI State Univ (BTN)
    7 p Penguins at Winnipeg (CBC off of rooftop antenna)
    730p Notre Dame at Miami (OH) (CBSSN)
    730p Anaheim Ducks at Red Wings (FSD)
    830p S J Sharks at Black Hawks (NHL Network)

Woo-HOO!

21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Your Bruins vs my pathetic Sabres tonight; Thorton & Scott round 2????
    BTW - the Bruins owner lives a few miles from me. See him all the time.
    Kevin

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I forgot to mention his granddaughter goes to high school with our daughter. Two years ago was their day with the Stanley Cup; they brought it to school. Was a great day. Even the white glove guy was there!
    Kevin

23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not you, Mike, fighting is up this year....not sure why, but I am wondering if sitting around the first 3 months of the season while being locked out may have something to do with it.

24. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    My underachieving; overpaid, effortless Sabres fired their coach today.

25. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I was kind of surprised about all the commentators talking about this. Most that I saw seemed to think they should let the guy ride out the season, or expressed that they felt bad for the guy and that he took a fall for other problems within the organization.

But isn't that how it always goes? The buck always stops with the coach. I watched the fans sarcastically jeer their own team for "finally" getting out of their zone at the start of a game. The commentators on that game spent quite a lot of time talking about how Ruff was on the chopping block. Then they act like it's a big surprise?

Strange.

I wonder where he'll end up. I've heard rumors about the Oilers!