Newbie Motorcycle riders FAQ's and Answers Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Newbie Motorcycle riders FAQ's and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rsvmille676, May 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have 2 flat tracks and a .6 mile TT course, and I bring newbies out to ride 100-150cc bikes on the TT and my flat tracking TTR 125's with chinese street tires on 17" rims on the flat track. Wet that puppy down in advance, then get out there and learn riding "the Roberts way!" Best training going, IMO......falling down a LOT. Helped my road racing skills significantly.....because you get used to the bike moving around underneath you. Then when it happens on pavement at 90 mph in a turn, you aren't tensing up......which is about the worst thing you can do, short of chopping the throttle or grabbin the brakes.

2. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    After finding out I could have a Ducati Sport 1000 for under $10K, I knew I had to figure out a way of buying one within the year.

The OP was perfect. This thread serves a very needed purpose. Thanks for all the information!

_J

3. faastmoto

faastmoto Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 14, 2011
    #128 faastmoto, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
    yes, there are many folks who have been involved to debate and discuss with same conversation and help each others by sharing between them, we are going to a foreign country and need to ride a plane, as all know that we dress up properly as what is fitting for an airplane. If we need to go on a boat, we dress up to suit the kind of transport that we have. If we will ride a motorcycle then, how do we dress up? Is it like travelling in a plane or by boat? Most probably not!

A motorcycle is a different mode of transport and so we have to dress up differently to make ourselves perfectly fit to the situation and atmosphere while riding a motorcycle.

We are exposed to strong wind when we use a motorcycle and it doesn’t have a roof to protect us extreme heat and outpouring of rain. And because of this, we will need a different kind of clothing. A motorcycle ride needs extra strong motorcycle apparel. Your shirt, jacket or trousers and boots should be comfortable aside from being strong against winds and too much dust. For motorcycles, apparel is commonly made up of leather. This is because leather is appropriate for extreme conditions – it is stylish but most importantly, it provides excellent protection against wreckage, debris and other fragments that can get along the way while you drive. Motorcycle apparel also includes the use of suitable eyewear. Such eyewear should be aerodynamic that is used to overcome the riding at high speed and the extreme activities during the ride. It should also have lenses fit for day time or night time drive.

Motorcycle apparel is definitely something to think about, but another thing is helmet which is your greatest and biggest coat of protection. The helmet is used to protect your head from any unwanted occurrences. From among the helmets, HJC helmets are known to be the most famous proven all over the world for many years now.

So if you are really decided at driving and riding a motorcycle, make sure that you best fit, well-dressed up so you can enjoy the ride of your life.

4. stevieh46360

stevieh46360 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006
    Michigan City, IN
    Full Name:
    Steve Hough
    I have been thinking about buying my first motorcycle as an adult. Here is my problem, May 4th, 1985 I wrecked my Yamaha YZ80 and broke my neck in 7 places (C-4,5,6,7 T-1,2,3). I had just turned 15 when this happened to me and I spent the next 5 months in the Hospital. I have not been on a motorcycle at all since then. I really want a Harley Street Glide but I have no idea how to ride something like this. I am a big guy 6' 280lbs. Is this a motorcycle that I could be taught to ride, or do I need to start with something else?

5. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    For city riding, a lighter bike is more forgiving. Plus low weight allows backing up using
    your legs. On a down grade, if the rider is forced to stop with no room to make a U-turn, a
    heavy bike will render you stuck. Imagine a ramp leading down to a parking garage in the city, if a half ton bike reaches a gate at the bottom that won't open, no way the rider will be able to pull the bike backwards uphill even a foot to create some space for a U-turn.

For cruising at highway speed for long distances, a heavier powerful cycle is necessary or the rider will be miserable from vibration after about 25 minutes.

A bicycle is a fun way to prepare your back, hips and arms for turns and practicing shifting weight distribution. Being in athletic condition pays off bigtime on 2 wheels. If your hands get sore or numb from the pressure of a bicycle, if you get impatient on a bicycle, chances are you'll be in pain sitting on a motorcycle too.

I prefer an open-faced helmet so I can spit while motorcycling. With a closed face helmet, you can't spit and no doubt the exhilaration of riding will cause you to salivate. I use ski goggles over the open face helmet which isn't very secure....over 100 mph the wind will attempt to blow the goggles down around your neck.

If your night vision ain't what it used to be, careful there's sand and gravel and deer.

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #131 4re Nut, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting that this thread got bumped as a couple days ago I saw a guy on a Honda CBR250R, which is a bike I've considered as a newbie.

I was with a colleague of mine who is on the fence regarding a bike. He wants one and has even taken the rider safety class but like me has heard one too many horror stories about accidents so hasn't (yet) pulled the trigger.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    May I make a few suggestions:
    1. Buy a used bike as your first motorcycle,,,if you don't really like to ride, then you haven'nt dumped a boatload of money on something new and flashy.
    2. Spend the least amount of money on a used bike,, that way when it falls over-and it will, you won't be all pissed that you dented it up.
    3. Buy the smallest bike you can,,a smaller, lighter bike is easier to learn on and when you take the test for your license at the DMV, a small,light bike is a whole lot easier to maneuver around cones and figure eights than a Suzuki sv 650.
    4. Don't buy a bike because all of your friends ride bikes, buy a bike because you want to ride bikes.
    5. When you go looking for a bike to buy, take an old guy with you who has been riding for a while because he has the experience to help you select a bike that while used, isi'nt going to be too powerful or is gonna turn out to be a 2wheeled hoopdie.
    6. Check with your insurance people to see how much it will cost for a policy and get that policy activated before taking that bike anywhere near a street or public highway.
    7. Take a cycle training course that provides bikes to learn on, that way when you dump the clutch or grind the gears, its their clutch being dumped and their gears being ground down.
    8. Spend your first times riding the bike all alone, that way you won't get the peer pressure to go fast and out of your comfort zone.
    9. Wait until you feel comfortable riding during the day before you start to ride at night and when you do start to ride at night, avoid the 2 most dangerous nights of the week,,Friday and Saturday.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I always recommend that a new adult rider start on a 250cc dirt or dual-sport bike. The light weight, wide bars and nimble handling can give a new rider confidence as they learn. Take a MSF course too. After you are a safe competent rider, buy a larger bike if you want one and keep the 250 for fun in the woods. And, always dress for the crash; Snell approved full face helmet, neck brace, gloves, protective pants, jersey and knee/elbow pads/ chest protector while in the dirt. I've been riding over 42 years and never leave home not fully geared up, even if I am only riding a couple of miles to the store or something.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    If I could go back in time and start all over again, I would have bought a supermoto for my first bike. Granted, I got into riding knowing I wanted to focus on going fast and eventually get on the track. But man, they are literally heroin on two wheels. Lightweight, can drop them as many times as you want to with no damage. Take corners on rails, wheelies, stoppies and general hoolagianism galore. All this before you break 35 mph. Hell, I'm adding one to the stable this year in addition to my racebike just for training purposes.

10. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #135 Cliff Torus, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. zoowho2

zoowho2 Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2012
    Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There are only 2 kinds of M/C riders...
    Those that have gone down
    And those who are going to go down

12. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    Bigger touring bikes like a street glide are very top heavy and anymore, loaded with eletronic gadgetry to distract you. Dirt bikes are an excellent training ground to learn the fundimentials of balance and control but with so much time passing between 85 and now, I imagine it would be like starting completely over. Then there is the whole mental hurdle of your last experience. It could be done but if your not very confident or have some lingering reservations, you may want to take it easy and maybe start with something smaller, less expensive to rebuild your skills, gain confidence and make sure its still as awesome as you inagine it to be.

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Educate me: Other than the cosmetic reasons why are perspective buyer(s) of motorcycles place so much emphasis whether the bike has been laid down..bumped into and knocked over or not esp if it's repainted and/or repaired properly?

Newbie in the bike world....

14. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    The lateral energy that the frame takes when a motorcycle falls over, it is not designed for. You could end up with a "bent" frame. This can cause "unusual" handling characteristics. This could be a problem with an "emergency" maneuver. Also, the fall could create minute cracks or fractures at the welds/joints.

Lastly, because of the cost of a full fairing, your insurance rates will likely be higher.

It's extremely difficult to "repair/straighten" an aluminum motorcycle frame. Easier to just replace the frame.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There is also no "Carfax" for bikes. It is so easy to order new parts and fix the bike in your back yard. If the bike was down, it can be difficult to know how hard it was down, and if it was repaired correctly.

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    And there's a big difference between the tipped over at 0mph and laid down mid corner at Road America, but the details get lost very easily in a for sale ad.

Mark

17. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Best piece of moto advice I could give to a new or prospective rider is, if at all possible, spend some time on a dirt bike. Not only do you learn much more about balance and traction, but you learn throttle and clutch modulation with instant feedback, all in an environment where there aren't people in cars trying to kill you.

18. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    This is sound advice.

It is a great way to master your bike controls while not having to worry about distracted drivers.

LSJ

19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    MSF classes and if you have a proper bike, track days with lessons. Also watch Twist of the Wrist II.

20. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Some sound motorcycle riding advice I got from mom.

"If you fall off of that thing and break both of your legs, don't come running to me."

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I’ve been riding street bikes since I was 16 (54 now). I don’t recommend riding a street bike. Never been on a dirt bike. Take a motorcycle safety course before you ride. Ride like your invisible because you are. Stay away from cars and leave space. I haven’t crashed once in at least 250’000 miles. As a result of that been accused of not trying hard enough which is BS.....didn’t know the object was to crash the bike. Don’t ride at night unless you have to. Be as courteous as possible to cars and don’t get pissed at them because they can’t see or out maneuver you....not their fault. Don’t EVER ride without at least helmet, gloves, ankle high shoes, Jean level pants, and eye protection. Your vehicle is superior and also the most vulnerable....don’t ever forget that. Just my 2 cents from a boneheaded street only rider that’s been lucky so far.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

donv, technom3, Red 27 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
  23. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I have been riding since 1993. Learn how to read road camber, it can drastically reduce your oh **** moments.