daytona seats question | FerrariChat

daytona seats question

Discussion in '206/246' started by champtc, Dec 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I am getting close to having the body of my 72 gt painted (after a long time) and I am considering interior options. I am pretty sure that i want the leather to be red(oxblood or whatever) seats with the daytona centers. I want my centers to be with the red strip/black strip and the vent holes in them. I have seen them in the original leather & black vinyl strips. I think if i could do the vinyl black strips in leather it would be nicer - has anyone seen this? I have a great guy locally that I want to do the seats ( he did my other dino). So do I buy a kit & have him install em? Have him just make em? Just buy the center sections? any recommendations of whom to purchase from? costs? So lots of questions- thanks

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I dont think you would really notice the difference IMO, but to get the correct heat seam around the vent holes you will need to do these in vinyl i guess. As for who makes then, go for quality first.

I love the red black colour combo on the daytona seats, with red carpets the interior will look fanastic.

Do post a pic when its finished.

3. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Try Robert O'Rourke at www.coachtrimmers.com I believe he has these seat strips in stock, regards Penny

4. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    thats a great idea- I know Rob from a long time ago! Thanks

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had the red-black in my 72 Dino in the day. To tell you the truth I never knew the black was vinyl. They always looked great until I did a stupid thing with a new product at the time called Armoral recommended by a friend. From that point till I got rid of the car the red would bleed when it got to 80 degrees. This eventually led to me selling the car as I wasn't going through the seat deal again. My loss. The black sides we did in a French stitch to prevent the all common split common in the Dino and the Daytona of the time.
    A little history,

Docf

6. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #6 TKO, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Champtc,

Here is a pic of the 3 Daytona stripes samples that Henk from HLV sent me. They are all vinyl with slightly different grain patterns. He can supply all 3.

Cheers,

Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #7 TKO, Dec 18, 2012
  8. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    the bottom sample seems to be most like original.

9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    From pictures noted and having had them in my 72 orginally it is difficult to determine the difference between one and two as to grain . It certainly was not sample 3!

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I would agree, certainly not three
    one and two seems to be very close, I would go for two....

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Definately not 3, 2 is more like the one i would choose, with 1 a close second :))!!

12. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    ok - well i have some high end experts in agreement...so either #1 or #2 will be the one for me!! Thanks

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The bottom one is what was on my original Daytona seats

14. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    in this case the experts are wrong. bottom sample is the like the originals in my 73 gts. synchro is right.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm no expert but as i said no 2 {middle} is the one closest to my daytona seats.

16. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    #16 PogueMahone, Jan 29, 2013
  17. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    #17 PogueMahone, Jan 29, 2013
  18. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    #18 PogueMahone, Jan 29, 2013
  19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Wow! What a transformation from material that looked incredibly brittle to one that maintains the character of its age and is beautiful and shouldn't be replaced.

PM me with the treatments you used. I have a friend with a 1959 Ferrari LWB California with original seats that look like your first picture and obtaining your same end result would be a huge improvement.

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

and the following quote from HMB-Dino:

"Wow! What a transformation from material that looked incredibly brittle to one that maintains the character of its age and is beautiful and shouldn't be replaced.

PM me with the treatments you used. I have a friend with a 1959 Ferrari LWB California with original seats that look like your first picture and obtaining your same end result would be a huge improvement."

Instead of PMing HMB-Dino, why not post what you used for everyone to see! :)

Mark

21. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Personnally, I only used a 500€ banknote.

For the pair of seats.

More seriously, I did not do the job myself.

But I can ask the guy who already did another pair of my seats.

What I can say at the moment is that he only operates on unbroken, w/o any holes or stitiching pbs skins.

His 1st Job is not in upholstery but in chemistry.

He doen't do any repair at all, only leather surface treatments.

And one of his secrets is using various kinds of sand-papers to peel off the desquanning pieces of skin, and then making a smooth surface.

I must confess that the very 1st time I did not want to know how he processed BEFORE the full work was done !!!

If I knew, I'd never let him do it !!

And it would have been a mistake.

After that, he nourishes in several times the skin to make it supple.

Then, he uses a little bit a kind of re-made leather so as to attenuate the major remaining "gaps" or "holes".

Last thing, a huge and strong treatment in a persistent black colour, and polishing.

The full process needs @ 3 weeks.

The 1st pair of Daytona seast he made 5 years are still in fantastic cond. with this very nice patina.

In the meantime, I also asked him to make a treatment on 2 diffrent clear colors sofa, and it was not a success due to a difficulty in finding the exct color.

But he definitely is a genius at black.

22. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Is it just me, or is this better looking than ANY retrim, even if original materials are used.
    The cars are now 40 years old, lets see a bit of age in them. Some recent restorations are a bit like woman of a certain age using too much Botox.

23. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I couldn't agree more! Almost every time I see pictures of the latest record-setting stratospherically-priced Dino, the interior shots make it appear as though the seats have never seen a human behind. I'm all for renovation and restoration, but I don't care for a final product that would look more appropriate at a Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum! Fred

24. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

WOW. I guess the whole process would not be very economical to have him perform on a Dino in the U.S.

Mark

25. PogueMahone

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Maybe coz my Guy makes his bills according to the job really done and not according to the expected value of the car...