Gear change squeak | FerrariChat

Gear change squeak

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Awitty, Dec 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    Hi

I picked up my new 458 the other week, having previously owned a California. WOW ! Very happy with it, although it does exhibit a little squeak when shifting up the gears during acceleration. Is this normal, the Cali never did this?

Thanks

2. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I too have a MY 13 458 coupe and no squeaks during gear changes. I'd say bring it back for a look by the dealer.

3. johnm

johnm Rookie

May 15, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine is more like a chirp and seems normal.

4. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    #4 Webber45, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Yes, there is a kind of squeak when shifting. I think it is from the hydraulic and seems to be mormal. I have the car now since appr. 7.000 miles, had the squeak from beginning on - nothing happened untill today. I hope it will stay in this condition :)

Regards - Webber45

5. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks all. Reassuring to know others have also noticed it.

6. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Every 458 that I've driven has had the chirp, squeak, whatever you want to call it. Interestingly enough, I only heard it while driving, not when in the passenger seat. I quite like it as it adds to the experience, IMO. Enjoy your new car; you're going to love it.

-Gil

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Mine is currently in the shop with the squeak (chirp actually). Mechanic says its a "belt" that slips under hard acceleration when upshifting. They are looking to replace it. Will report back when I know more in about two weeks.

8. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Had my 2013 for six weeks and 600 miles.... no squeak on upshifts

9. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Can you better define what you hear as a squeak? I have almost 4,000 miles on my 12 coupe and I've never heard a squeak when shifting up or down. In fact, I don't hear anything that sounds out of what would seem expected during shifts. The only squeak that I've heard comes from the base of the seat on rare occassions while driving. I'm going to have to go back and listen for the "chirp". I can honestly say that I can't recall hearing anything but the sweet sound of that engine in race mode.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You're problem is you're shifting lower than 6 grand. Above 6 grand you can't hear a darn thing! :)

11. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Oh so true!!

12. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Seriously. That's what I thought.

13. johnm

johnm Rookie

May 15, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine chirps in every red-lined gear !

14. Webraider

Webraider Karting

Sep 12, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ulli
    I guess I know the sound the OP is hinting at.

It can be heard in my car, too, when changing gears under full throttle/at max revs (esp. in race-mode).

I would describe it like a blowoff-sound that can be heard with (older) turbo-charged cars, though.

And: I don't worry about it in the slightest.

She loves it hard, see ?! ;)

Best,
    Ulli

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Went back to the dealer and they have organised the part (belt tensioner). It's a known issue and seems to be a random occurrence and not across all cars.

16. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    I believe I'm familiar with what the OP is referring to.

First 15k miles, no squeak, started up afterward on every upshift. For a while I tried to rationalize it because I loved the car so much (and because there was a 4 week wait time for an appointment at the service shop). Finally brought it in, fixed it under warranty, no more annoying squeak.

I doubt it's a major issue, but don't rationalize it away. Take it in, get it fixed.

*note - it doesn't sound like blowoff/turbo sound. It's literally a squeak, like squeezing one of those children's toys. It's not a very sexy or mechanical sound:p

17. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Wow, I haven't heard that noise for certain. Thanks for the heads up.

18. telstar

telstar Rookie

Nov 15, 2006
    bay area
    My 2013 has developed the upshift noise
    which sounds like a brief squeak belt slipping
    type of noise. happened yesterday only second
    time i drove the car. I previously logged 800
    miles in a new 2013 458 rental and 600
    miles in a new 2010 rental with no such noises.
    they are heard on spirited up shifts. kind of
    disconcerting

19. pride355

pride355 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    MOT
    I have the same sound in my 13 italia. Service told me it is normal.

20. ecks

ecks Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Chandigarh, India
    This same problem has struck my car today. Drove it after a while today and the sound occurs exactly as described. Around 6k rpm , under hard acceleration. Sending this thread info to the dealer. Hopefully they won't dismiss it as 'normal' . My car has done 800kms and this is the first time I am hearing this.

21. ecks

ecks Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Chandigarh, India
    Sent the car to the dealer. After a long long test drive and under continuous hard acceleration, the tech told me that the noise is normal. I am left baffled really. I have never heard this noise and the tech tells me "I may have missed hearing it". He says the noise is from the fly wheel area and is normal. I asked him to check the belt tensioner(as mentioned here) and he said it is fine as well.

Any thoughts guys?

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    After two trips to the dealer I was told by the head mechanic that its normal. Keen to know if anyone else has had any other information from their dealers that says otherwise.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #23 PhilNotHill, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    With 4k miles on my 12 spider I have not heard this. But then as I geezer my hearing may be suspect.

Does it squeak in Auto Mode?

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    #24 Shack, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    It wont squeak in Auto mode as you need to be under hard acceleration and in the 5k+ Rev range. During normal everyday driving its not there. Its only when you play hard :) . Dealer said its normal but just want to know if anyone believes otherwise.

25. mlm7103

mlm7103 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Mike McCool
    My 2013 coupe has made a noise like this on racing upshifts at redline since I got it. At first I thought it was chirping the tires but it wasn't. Was going to get a skid plate installed so I'll ask the dealer about it.