Ferrari Import to Austria -costs? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Import to Austria -costs?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Schestc2, Nov 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #1 Schestc2, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    I will move to Vienna next spring and plan to take my Scalietti with me, does anyone has a clue how much costs are involved for Nova, CO2 malus, etc?

Just googled a bit but it's kind of confusing...

My car is an early modell, 2004. The car was driven in Italy and Germany so far

Thanks Stefan

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Where is the car coming from? Where was it previously registered? If it was already registered in the EU then mwst has already been paid. Simply having been driven in Germany and Italy does not automatically mean it was registered in either of those countries.

Apart from mwst there will be additional taxes particular to Austria, one of our Austrian members may have a better idea what you should expect.

3. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    it was registered in Germany and Italy so far. Don't think MwSt is an issue, but Nova and Co2 tax maybe.

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hopefully one of the Austrian users will chime in on those.
    All the best

5. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Just reg fee, a few hundred euro but you will need a state check beforehand. You also need to be a resident. Better to keep on foreign plates though....hello speed cameras!

6. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Hi FMax,

where did you get this info? I am reading that importing a used car to Austria requires paying a "Nova" Tax plus a Co2 tax before you can even register it. B.t.w. I will be resident in Vienna.

Thanks for further input - and hope we can put this thread soon in an extra Austria section.

7. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Yes forgot about that. My colleague in prague who has a dealership has an Austrian client with 2 ferrari's who keeps the cars on Czech plates to avoid taxes.

8. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    Facts: if the car was registered in Italy and/or Germany there is no custom. The Nova for a Ferrari is 16% of the actual trade-value of the car when you import it. The finance will look at the Austrian Eurotax-chars to evalute it.

The CO2-tax is dependant from the CO2-output of your car. It is calculated new from January 1st on:

from 150g till 170g/km: Malus 25 Euro per Gramm
    from 170g till 210g/km: Malus 50 Euro per Gramm
    from 210g/km upwards: Malus 75 Euro per Gramm

Regards - Webber45

9. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Really?? A 210g/km emission will cost you nearly 16,000€!!!!

10. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    No, don't worry!

F.e. 350 mg/km

till 150 mg/km no tax
    20 x 25 = 500
    40 x 50 = 2000
    140 x 75 = 10.500

Summary = 13.000 Euro

Understood?

When you make the transfer before December 31st it will be little cheaper:

from 160g till 180g/km: Malus 25 Euro per Gramm
    from 180g till 220g/km: Malus 50 Euro per Gramm
    from 220g/km upwards: Malus 75 Euro per Gramm

Regards - Webber 45

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wow!!

Thanks for the explanation.

12. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    Yeah, its really expensive to own such cars in Austria. If you consider too, that you have speed-limit on the highway with 130 kmh, you should buy a Smart or something like that :-(

This is one of the reasons why I moved myself and my family to Germany.

But now I have another problem: my wife bought a Ferrari too. What did I learn? Can become also expensive in Germany ;-)

Regards - Webber45

13. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #13 Schestc2, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    now it really gets serious, we move in March to Vienna. Could I run the car on German plates, at least for a while? I will use it only frequently since I have a company car anyway.

Thanks for advise,

Stefan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. christophh

christophh Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    schest, will it be your only residence then in vienna or will you still have one in germany?

the problem will be the register of the car has to be done in austria (insurance and so on).

there you would have to do:

- pay austrian mwst (and get back german)
    - standard car-check (compare TÜV in germany)
    - you have to pay NOVA (depends on the fuel consumption)
    - CO2-malus (for cars with too high CO2-emission)

details you find here: ÖAMTC: Eigenimport von Gebrauchtfahrzeugen aus der EU / Auto & 2Rad / Autokauf-Ratgeber

and if u need further informations just talk with someone from vienna tax office -->
    0043 5 0233 233.

15. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    Car must be registered where you live. When your main-adress (domicil) is in Austria, you have to import. When your main-adress is in Germany you have to keep it registered in Germany. That is European rule (law).

Regards - Webber45

16. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thanks Webber and Christoph for the reply. Fact is that I will of course live in Vienna, but importing a 612 costs more than 16K Euro plus annually 2k tax wheraes in Germany I pay 400 Euro only. So it might not be sensefull to import the car at all. I am still having my house in Germany, plus my german ID and my idea is to keep the car registered in Germany, at least for the first year and decide then what to do in the long run.

Question is:

1. is it legal? (probably not)
    2. is it possible and whats the risk?

I know, in the end I will have to make the call, but I am looking for someone in a similar situation.

Thanks Stefan

17. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    Stefan,

I am in a similar situation.

I am Austrian, living since 4 years in Germany. Have house in Austria as well as in Germany. Because of my job it's a must for me to have my main-adress here in Germany. In my kind of job taxwise it would be much more cheaper to have the main-adress in Austria, but this is not possible.

For my cars it is much cheaper to have it registered in Germany; as you found out too.

If you are working as an employer and your wife is not working, taxwise is much better to have main adress in Germany.

Principles:
    1. where is your main-adress you have to pay the taxes following the tax-law of the country of main-adress.
    2. your main-adress has to be where you mainly live your life.
    3. all of your motor-vehicles have to be registered at your main-adress (European law).

Coming back to your question: yes, your idea to keep the car registered in Germany is not legal.

You can overthink to keep your main-adress in Germany and work in Austria. Would have tax-avantages, especiall in case of your wife doesn't earn money too, and would have the advantage, that your cars have to be registered in Germany.

In this case all your family has to live in Germany, you would have to travel to Germany to stay at your familiy, f.e. for the weekend. Your children have to visit German schools, etc.

If this is not possible for you, than you have to make Austria for your main-adress as well as for your family. Than it is a must to register your cars in Austria.

Be carefully! The Austrian are very sensible on this topic because a lot of people have exclusive cars registered in Germany and other countries, where it is much cheaper than in Austria, but drive this cars in Austria. So they make heavy controls and if they will find you they will give very high penalties to you.

I have checked the complete legal situation around this when I moved me and my family to Germany. I have a car in Austria too. This is to have a car there when I am visiting Austria 5 till 6 times per year by plane. This car must be registered in Germany, even when it is always driven by me in Austria. This is the law.

Sorry for not having better information for you! Good luck in Austria!

Webber45

18. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #18 Schestc2, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks Webber45,

you brought it to the point.

Which basically means I will have to give my beloved Ferrari away as it does not make sense to import it to Austria. Nova and Co2 malus account for more than 30.000 Euro, plus yearly 3.000 for tax.

Or, as I am having a company car anyway in Vienna, I might as well keep the 612 on German plates in Germany (still have a house there) and drive it once in a while when I am in Germany. I also read that I can stil drive it for one month in Austria. I also think it should be possible to drive cross countries - even through Austria - when I can proof that the car is normally located in Germany and not used as an every day car. Let's see, moving March 6th and then I will find out how it will be...

Stefan

19. hets72

hets72 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Send me PM - I have a contact in Vienna that might be able to help you further on this
    Thanks

20. Webber45

Webber45 Karting

Oct 2, 2011
    Bavaria / Germany
    @ Stefan: what came out now with your situation? Did you find legal way to keep car registgered in Germany?

Regards - Webber45