Caution about ferrparts.com | FerrariChat

Caution about ferrparts.com

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by us214760, Dec 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. us214760

us214760 Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Hudson, WI
    Full Name:
    Dave Teufert
    In my opinion, Russ of ferrparts.com has an all too casual and unprofessional approach to dealing with his customers. If you expect timely and accurate information and prompt transaction processing, he is NOT your man. Plus he charged me a ridiculous shipping fee (over $40) for a used 348 main switch.

Be prepared for a healthy dose of frustration if you do choose to deal with him.

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    +1, I recently purchased a speed sensor from him. Waited two weeks with no communication from Ferrparts, then emailed asking when my item would ship. Russ replied saying that his records show it should arrive at my house the next day. Two minutes later I get a shipping notice emailed to me that a shipping label has just been generated. Pfffff.

3. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I had good experience wit Russ. Got a very rare part for the F40. Very fast package to Germany.

Russ was very helpful on the phone.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I had a batch of parts I needed for my 308. I called Ferrparts because they are close and I thought I'd have them quicker. I talked to Russ and he said he'd call me back. I waited a couple of days and called again. He said he'd get the info and call me back. I waited a couple of days and got them from Daniel at Ricambi.

I tried to support my local Ferrari parts dealer, but he has to try also. I'd like to go and see his operation sometime, but we're not off to a good start here.

5. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    David, I have the emails and will post them for the record.
    for starters i/we are not the best around or the fastest. Just another source
    for very hard to find parts and being a ferrari owner you should realize youll need
    all the suppliers in this business at one point or another to keep your car going.
    None of us are an end all be all. But being that you dont like my casual attitude is not fair.
    You ordered a part that ferrari italy showed ( still shows ) stock for, but now is saying and has said is not avail now anymore ( 348 TURN SIGNAL ASSEMBLY ) .
    After I told you this I said I had a used one equally hard to get now and was our last one and that i would sell you for less. You said ok, I sent it out. You then sent an email asking for the lessor price and immediately I sent you back an email and copied in the accounting gal and said issue a credit to you for 200.00 You then sent an email saying more like 300.00 .. I didnt argue and your email says whats wrong with your calculator is it broken and some other comments i did not even bother debating.
    I then offered to buy your old broken part when you got it off the car and you said
    give me a price. Not sure why the haste now but ill post the emails if you want to set the record straight.
    Brian, I apologize to you for not getting back to your message and I looked just now and still see no message in my Gmail from you under brian harper. Feel free to call me if you want and ill try my best to look it up. Yes we do get stupid busy here and with 7 people its not easy to do it all. Someone made a comment to hire more folks but that cost superceeds the tight margins we run on to " TRY" and supply ferrari owners best we can
    as cheap as we can with out losing money or just breaking even. But at the end of the day we do try our best. Its not always enough and If you want to personally call me ill try
    and work it out.. And Brian your more then welcome to come visit. We have hundreds of folks per year that do as you can then dig through the warehouse yourself as well looking for any bits you may need..

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've had excellent dealings with Ferrparts, even when they made mistakes with my order. All was 'made good', and I have bought from them several times. New AND used parts. I've paid a visit to every vendor under the sun, including a few in England - no website-based inventory is ever to be trusted, including Ricambi or Rutlands. I know they don't want to hear that, but this is just a fact of life. Throwing a hissy-fit about the situation is not any way to go through life, sunshine. Even Ferrari has been known to say 'yes, we have that part'....and later come back to me/third-party and say 'sorry, we really don't have that part after all'. Oh well.

BTW, have you tried Unobtainium Supply? I hear they REPAIR those things.....why drop huge amounts of cash on a new one?

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I too will add that my dealings with Russ and Ferrparts have been very good. They were very welcoming when I visited them in April and consider them to really try hard. My orders from them have gone well and I am happy to do business with them at any time.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I also bought stuff from Ferrparts. I last ordered 4 wheel center caps. Russ was easy to deal with, and he was the cheapest at the time for what I needed. It did take a little longer for shipping than I would have liked, but I have no complaints and I have no problem recommending them to others.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No offence to OP but have you had satisfactory service from anyone in your three months of ownership so far ?

Russell's replies read similar (in a way) to Scuderia Rossa's

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Haven't had any problems with Ferrparts in the two years that I've had my car.

This ain't no Honda. Parts are going to be an "issue" as the cars aren't common and some parts simply aren't made anymore.

11. us214760

us214760 Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Hudson, WI
    Full Name:
    Dave Teufert
    Here's a chronology of what occurred.....if you care to read it. I stand by what I said.

and greyboxer....no, my two experiences have sucked. What's your point?

10/29/12 - Called to inquiry about switch availability. Russ said it would need to be ordered from Ferrari and quoted a price of $1405.37 (included shipping). I asked Russ to order one and they charged my credit card for the quoted amount.
    11/8/12 - I sent email requesting order status update. I hadn’t received any sort of order confirmation since phone call.
    11/9/12 - Russ said he had received no status info from Ferrari, but had a used one if I didn’t want to wait. I asked about price. Russ said $1100. I said for that price I’d rather wait for a new one. Russ came back at me stating that Ferrari had provided no eta and that he’d give me a 6 month warranty on the used one. I said ok.
    11/10/12 - I sent a follow-up email. “Ok, I will accept the used switch for $1100 w/6 month warranty beginning in April 2013. Please refund my credit card for the balance.”.
    11/12/12 - Russ responded “will do”.
    11/17/12 - I sent email asking when I can expect to receive the switch and refund.
    11/19/12 - Russ responded “I gave to kathy, Shes out on holiday all week. That shipped out last week so you should see it today likely?
    and you can follow up next week with her as to the credit difference on your card
    for the new one vs. the used.”.
    11/26/12 - I emailed Russ stating that I had just received the switch, however, the invoice that was included was for a new switch ($1358.55 + 46.82 Freight), not the $1100 we had agreed upon.
    11/26/12 - Russ sent an email to Kathy saying “Can you credit David Teufert 200 bucks”.
    11/26/12 - I sent an email stating “$200???? Should be closer to $300. You charged my credit card $1405.37. I should owe $1100 + shipping.”.
    11/30/12 - I sent a follow-up email because I hadn’t received any response to my 11/26/12 email.
    12/4/12 - I discovered that my credit card had been credited $258 without having received any response to my 11/26/12 and 11/30/12 emails. Plus, according to my math he charged me over $47 to ship it to me.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    OK.. not to be picky but..

New switch is: $1358.55 + $46.82 shipping = $1405.37
    Used switch would be $1100 + $46.82 shipping = $1146.82

1405.37-1146.82= 258.55

Isn't that what he credited you back? I'm seeing him take corrective action. What am I missing here?

for an $1100, rare part that isn't made anymore you paid an appropriate amount of shipping IMHO with insurance and 1 week shipping over a holiday period.. plus bank clearing times.. seems about right to me..

What else am I missing?

13. us214760

us214760 Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Hudson, WI
    Full Name:
    Dave Teufert
    vrsurgeon.....nothing other than I received the switch 1 week after he said I should, he charged me the price of a new switch requiring me to follow-up, then tried to short me on the refund for the price difference requiring me to follow-up again, and then still charged me the same shipping charge that he did to get a new one all the way from Italy. Couple this with lax communications on his part and the whole experience was less than satisfying.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Although it has been quite some time since I have utilized their services, I had very positive experiences with Ferrparts.com.

On the one occasion I received the wrong part, they promptly rectified the error and sent me on my way.

15. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have been working with Brian K at Ferrparts over the last several years. Have gotten many parts from him and pleased with the service and feel their prices are competitive. I have also have had good service from Ricambi, T. Rutlands, and GT parts.

16. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    That sounds a lot like my experience.

I have ordered parts from FerrParts a couple times over many years. Fair prices, wide selection, and a happy customer here.

There is no single source for parts to keep our Ferraris on the road. FerrParts in my
    experience is a good merchant.

-sc

17. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +100 on all the positive comments about the FerrParts staff--Russ, Tim, Brian, Punu and Kathy, all great folks. I've been dealing with them pretty regularly for the 1.5 years I have owned my Testarossa and they are truly great enthusiasts to deal with. I have the advantage of living relatively close to their warehouse and when in town I drop in (always unannounced :eek:) and any one of them drops what they are doing to help me. They allow me to roam through their $20+M inventory at my leisure, and always have answers to my questions and solutions to my problems. They have an amazing inventory of used/NOS stuff no one else has. Brian is painstakingly building cross-references of every hose/hardware in the F inventory by size/color/shape so OEM alternatives can be offered when originals are NLA. As I spend a lot of time there, I often hear/overhear the trials of dealing with F-Italy, FNA, customs, DHL/UPS/FedEx, Homeland Security, vendors, and extremely picky customers (like me) with pretty unique requirements and/or demands. I've witnessed them jump through hoops to get a handful of screws out just to get a stranded car back on the road or ready for the concourse.

If I went to a Chevy dealer and they didn't have a part for my '69 Z-28, they would say "sorry, you might try e-Bay". These guys check all their competitors inventory and other sources I can only dream of knowing (they won't tell me) and will gladly refer you to any source they find. I sense it's not a job, not a business, but a passion to keep the F's alive--if not it wouldn't be worth the headaches. And, believe it or not these guys aren't getting rich off you/I.

I hope you give them another chance, not only because I really think you had a non-typical experience, but also if you keep your car long enough and you will need their unique services again and I'm sure they will be happy to help.

I realize this sounds like a paid political announcement but I assure you it's not--I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer.

18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Thanks for the offer. I might come do that sometime. Like all the comments on the board here, I've only heard good things from people about Ferrparts which is why I found it so wierd we didn't make a transaction work. (It was probably six months ago at this point.)

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bit slow with a credit but i'd happily order from them again...... good guys...

20. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Me too !! Hugh and I have have bought a bunch of stuff from the guys and gal and have always been satisfied. As has already been said these aren't 20 year old Honda's

21. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow, a 6 month warranty on a used electrical part???
    That's going above & beyond if you ask me... ;)

And you can add Eurospares to that list :D

22. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Just curious. No one has commented on the price of the used part? 80% of new...

Is that correct?

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I thought that you couldn't buy it new...

24. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    Thanks for the comments and support. I will say im not an angel and not always fast or efficient as i would like to be. But our heart is in the right place. This is not an easy business and to be honest we can never please everybody. We admittedly have screw ups time to time. The parts business is not what most people invision. To break it down would be to consuming. How Daniel at ricambi handles all of you F chatters is beyond my thinking.But he does and I personally believe no one ferrari parts supplier could handle all of it.
    As for any unhappy dealings my best advice from us at ferrparts is for you to call me
    and hash it out.. phone to phone. or face to face or man to man like folks use to do in the good ole days. I am here everyday and with over 10,000 customers in the data base the request and orders do get screwy.. ( Hence so does the service ) Sometimes it may require a bit of boxing with one another and sometimes I do need called out. But david, You called me out with your unhappy deal. I understand what your saying. I manned up and called you. Left a voice message yesterday for you to call me and work ( something? ) out. You have still not called and I suppose you dont have to if you dont want to. One thing about me that you do not know about me is i am always willing to work with people. It takes time and I dont want to go back and forth through all of this thread stuff.
    But do keep in mind, If you own a ferrari and the cars past 10 years old, you need every
    vendor even the ones you ( DONT LIKE ). There is maybe 4 or 5 companies on the planet such as our self with a huge parts inventory thats dedicated to Ferrari only. You may not be happy about the price but im not happy with the prices either for what i pay to stock all of this stuff. Im also not happy sometimes with the prices I give my parts away for. But that is a whole different conversation.

25. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Is there a list a f-chat members that all the vendors keep so they know to just answer "I'm very sorry we don't have that part" when they call? :)