Good value LM updated F40 ? | FerrariChat

Good value LM updated F40 ?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by PAUL. S, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
  2. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
    Either no one wants a cheap F40 or your all currently on a Jumbo heading for the UK with a suitcase full of pound notes and hoping nobody else gets there first !

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's a holiday weekend here in the US (Thanksgiving) that's been going on since Thursday. People are probably still with their families. Sorry I don't know much about that car or value so I can't add any comments.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Looks like an exciting car for the price to me.

When I was looking for an F40 they generally fell in two classes. Cars that were relatively original and sold for a premium and modified cars that sold at discount. Just depends what you want.

If you want a modified car this could be a good one.

Drew

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That's about $425k and not eligible for import for a few more years. At that price, it looks like you don't get the original parts and I would assume, based on what it takes to get an LM nose on a regular car, that the tub had to be altered slightly. When you work out the amount of things that can't just simply be converted back to stock, then you see the pricing.

Looks like a great car though.

6. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Another LM modified F40 is offered at classicdriver.com next to 14 other F40 and most of the cars are offered for some years now at about 400.000€ ...

So there may be some kind of discount and perhaps also some kind of more realistic pricing? There are WELL over 50 F40's offered starting at 360.000€ / 470.000$

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Paul,

Please be advised that words "cheap" and "F40" should not be used in the same sentence.

Having said that if you are looking for a track car to have some fun, maybe...

Best,

8. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    Many are crashed cars, several cars need maintenance... etc. It also depends to the number of owners and the conditions. For a very good F40 you have to pay over 450.000€ here in Europe at the moment.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Complete this frequently used sentence:-

"If it looks too good to be true it ..."

10. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Well, you are right there are some crashed cars, some repainted cars, some cars in bad condition and so on ... you will find this phenomena in nearly every market segment. But there are also some nice cars and having seen some cars in person at some events, I'm astonished that this cars for example are still offered ...

11. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    next to 50 other cars ... that make's me wonder

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #12 Traveller, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it was the real deal.

Beautiful car that needs cosmetic work. Originally raced by Hartmann and then modified for road use-Up to 700+ BHP with variable boost, adjustable suspension, Group C brakes, OZ's, big intercoolers, turbos etc etc. Rebuilt engine and wonderful race patina. All in all a beautiful car which I propose to now tidy up, new fuel cells and cosmetics. Very excited and very proud new owner. Will post more pics when the refurb finished.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Congratulations Tim, amazing looking car!

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Neill-it really is amazing in the flesh, what the F40 should have looked like in the beginning and an unbelievable excitement to have in the garage. Never thought I would get to own something like this as I had a standard car in the late 80's but then more recently thought they were out of reach, especially in this spec.

15. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    Congratulations! It looks like a fantastic car.

As you learn more about it, please let us know what they did with the fuse box to support that kind of horsepower. There are a few alternatives now but I'm looking for the best. Maybe the guys who raced it have the ultimate fuse box. Thank you.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Congrats! did it use to be blue? Where did it race?

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Spa and Nurburgring are two for certain and yes, I believe sponsored by Petronas so in two tone blue. Do you know the car?

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Congrats!

Very Cool with Cool History.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you mean it was a real LM or just a real F40?

20. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
  21. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
    Congratulations

Did you spot it as a result of this thread/ my one on pistonheads or were you already on the case?

If so when do I get a passenger ride for finding it for you :)

22. jemarent

jemarent Rookie

May 4, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Marentette
    Sounds like you got a great deal depending on what cosmetic work needs to be done. Congrats on a hell of a f40!

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
  24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Was already on the case on Pistonheads which was why I did not come in on the thread earlier, but thank you for the thread! If you are around when the car is finished you are welcome but even though road legal I will use primarily for track days.

25. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
    cheers Tim, it was in an odd place in the classifieds on pistonheads which is why I guess most people had not spotted it.

Sounds like its gone to a great home.

I may need to pick your brains at some point in the future though as I could do with some photos of how an LM front clam fixes to the chassis.

I have had a look through my LM photos and cannot find any in Petronas colours sorry.